Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:37:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 2:20:55 PM EDT by txgp17]
First off, I like Midwayusa. I placed a $181 order today. BUT..........
Midwayusa.com has a "GunTec Dictionary". Under "Teflon bullet" it says: A bullet that utilizes a thin layer of the viscious thermoplastic developed by DuPont. The thin layer of Teflon assists hard metal cored ammunition in penetrating hard targets (such as walls and car doors).

Sounds like some crap from the Brady Campaign to me.

Send them a little note asking them to correct it if you like: MidwayUSA - Please Tell Us About the Problem...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:12:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
Midwayusa.com has a "GunTec Dictionary". Under "Teflon bullet" it says: A bullet that utilizes a thin layer of the viscious thermoplastic developed by DuPont. The thin layer of Teflon assists hard metal cored ammunition in penetrating hard targets (such as walls and car doors).

Sounds like some crap from the Brady Campaign to me.

Send them a little note asking them to correct it if you like: MidwayUSA - Please Tell Us About the Problem...

I googled teflon coated bullets and found this link matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/basics/copkill.html

The teflon is to protect the bore of the firearm not to lubricate the bullet when it hits the target. Most people would considerd "hard meteal cored ammunition" to be armor piercing however
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:33:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By txgp17:
snip

The explanation i've always heard is that it is similar to the rubber nubs on walking canes. It give it extra grip. So, in cases like a windshield, Instead of deflecting, more energy is focused on the target.

BS? possibly. Just what i've heard. from a brotehr's cousin's uncle's dog.

But interesting nonetheless.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:20:48 AM EDT
Sorry, I forgot to provide the full facts on the Teflon Bullets.

In 1982, the NBC TV network ran a special on the bullets and argued that the bullets were a threat to police. Gun control organizations in the US labelled Teflon coated bullets as "cop killer bullets", and argued that they were capable of penetrating Kevlar bullet-resistant vests. This was, in a sense, true: many of the bullets that had Teflon coatings were capable of penetrating Kevlar vests. However, this was not directly due to the Teflon coating. The bullets were made out of Tungsten and other hard metals, and did not deform when striking a bulletproof vest. The teflon was on the "Cop-killer" bullets because tungsten, without the teflon coating, would ruin the rifling of the gun it was fired out of.

Retrieved from "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon_coated_bullet"
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:37:57 AM EDT
I think you need to change this thread title Midway USA is a great company.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:09:34 AM EDT
They fixed it.

Definition for "Teflon bullet":
A bullet that utilizes a thin layer of the viscious thermoplastic developed by DuPont. The coating protects the bore's rifling from damage due to firing the hard-metal (such as steel) bullets.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 2:43:53 PM EDT by PanzerMK7]
Do they really mean "viscious" or do they mean "viscous"?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:48:44 PM EDT
Top Top