Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/2/2005 1:17:55 PM EDT
i don't know exactly which legislation effectively did away with full auto items the public could afford. but i would love to have one someday. with my current financial outlook in life i will never pay so much cabbage for a gun. as much as i enjoy shooting them

what would have to happen?
How could we start a movement?

just curious
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:26:14 PM EDT
If Alito gets confirmed it may happen. He believes in absolute right to bear arms. He's been quoted as saying that we should all be able to own FA.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:36:42 PM EDT
Though if it does come to fact, you may well find that the prices do not ocme down super cheap (1919 and MG42 SA beltfeds are $4K or more, I figure youwill likely see the FA models about 1-2K higher yet....)

M16s might be cheaper though, I doubt colt woudl sell to Civilians, hell they don't liek selling AR15s to th epublic....

anywho it is immaterial, to get new manufactured weapons again it has to be the 86 ban lifted (new manufactured domestic MGs) and the 68 ban (foreign imported MGS, new or not)

the 34 ban would be nice to get rid of (the $200 tax issue)

I doubt the public and government woudl go for it, too many people working for F troop that would need new .gov jobs
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:38:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
If Alito gets confirmed it may happen. He believes in absolute right to bear arms. He's been quoted as saying that we should all all law abiding citizens should be able to own FA.

I fixed it for you...
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:39:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By USMC_LB:

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
If Alito gets confirmed it may happen. He believes in absolute right to bear arms. He's been quoted as saying that we should all all law abiding citizens should be able to own FA.

I fixed it for you...

I said WE. lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:40:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 8:22:49 PM EDT
Sure - if a large enough voting block demanded it. Look at some of the things smaller political minorities than gun owners have gotten into law.

And we don't want new laws, we just want to do away with unconstitutional laws.

First, we got the AWB to go away, and the dire preictions of the anti-gunners show false.

Next, we get the "non-sporting use" import bans overturned, with the same lack of dire consequences.

THEN we can start whittling away at the '86 act, then the '68 act, and finally the '34 law.

It will tak about 20 years, but we could - can - make it happen... after all, it took over 70 years to get us to where we are now... we have to take long view, and teach our children the truth of things and give them the will to carry on the fight for our freedoms. Any less, and we lose. It's up to us.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:26:36 AM EDT
Automatic weapons shouldn't be allowed, they should be required of all US citizens
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:39:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ScudRunner:
Automatic weapons shouldn't be allowed, they should be required of all US citizens

Preachin' to the choir, bud... but the reality is we've got to win back the freedoms that were taken away while good men did nothing...
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:41:30 PM EDT
Probably not
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:01:18 PM EDT
First off, we did NOT "Get the AWB to go away"

The '94 ban had a sunset written into it.

ALL we accomplished was keeping a replacement or extenstion from being passed.

We overturned NOTHING. We removed NOTHING.

That said, there are too many goddamned cowards (on both sides, in both houses, and occupying a certain light-colored house) in washington, unwilling to risk being voted out, for us to get rid of existing gun laws. Ain't gonna happen. Remember, politics is a fucking game to them. The object is not to serve the country. The object as they see it is to stay there, and to hell with the country.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:02:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By htony1:
what would have to happen? Something really, really, really bad. Something along the lines of a civil war

How could we start a movement? Wait long enough and the illegal immigrants will start the needed civil war for us.

just curious

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:10:54 PM EDT
The best thing we've got going with Alito is that we'll likely not see any if much future gun bills passed that would infringe upon the 2nd ammendment. I doubt he'll be able to repeal things like the Machine Gun bill and others, but at least we're safe with what we've got (for now)
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:10:59 PM EDT
NRA supported the 922 Ban as it was attached to the FOPA, and that rat fuck Reagan signed it. With a wave of his pen GWB could get rid of import bans, he hasn't. 86 first then 68 then 34. USSC could bypass all that with reinterpritation of Miller Case and interstate commerce clause. ICC ruling would also clear up Alcohol and Marajuana laws notably too.
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:33:30 PM EDT
You mean that dream I've had of a Thompson 1928 in a velvet lined FBI case with two drum mags may come true some day in my lifetime? Shazam!
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 1:48:36 AM EDT
We could submit the constitution to the supreme courts as evidence with shall not be infringed underlined and the parts that imply it's not for sporting purposes underlined too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:48:02 AM EDT
YES! THe S.Ct. will eventually hear a good case within teh next 2-7 years. By that time a lot of conservative judges will have percolated to the App. bench in a number of pro-gun circuits.

We just need to hold on to the Senate and Pres. long enough.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:01:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

X2
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:11:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Firelotus:
Probably not

+ <sniff sniff> 1
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:18:09 PM EDT
Alito said nothing of the kind.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 6:25:16 PM EDT by NeoCon007]

Originally Posted By Mattl:
NRA supported the 922 Ban as it was attached to the FOPA, and that rat fuck great, wonderful leader, who made a mistake, Reagan signed it. With a wave of his pen GWB could get rid of import bans, he hasn't. 86 first then 68 then 34. USSC could bypass all that with reinterpritation of Miller Case and interstate commerce clause. ICC ruling would also clear up Alcohol and Marajuana laws notably too.

Damn you, Ronald Reagan was a better man than many of us will ever be.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:33:24 PM EDT
I dont know that Alito said anything about MGs, but even if he did, and even if he got it repealed, riddle me this:

How long is gonna take NY, CA and their gun fearin cousins to ban new MGs or MGs of any kind? Probably before the repeal of the federal law. This will keep most pre 86 transferables at 2-300%(rough guess) over normal, just for the few people their that would want still need 20 year old pieces.

And the import bans are just there. Period. GB1 signed the 89 ban, so Dubya won't touch it. It would be the first step. That keeps the fun new HKs and Sigs away from us.

So yeah, for me it would still be great. Register some sear holes, buy a bucket load of HK trigger groups and register them. Get ahold of a PS90 and figure out how to register it and convert it

But it would still suck for our stranded comrades in the shitty states
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:21:30 AM EDT
Alito will be confirmed. That's not the issue here. The issue is: will Roberts be as conservative as everyone hopes, or will he be another Suiter in disguise?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:30:16 PM EDT
pipe dreams...boys. It will never happen......we better be more worried about keeping what we have......that alone is an uphill battle. Things WILL get worse before they get better...mark my word.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:05:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clean_m14:
pipe dreams...boys. It will never happen......we better be more worried about keeping what we have......that alone is an uphill battle. Things WILL get worse before they get better...mark my word.

+1

For us to get the NFA repealed, Alito would have to be confirmed, Roberts would have to turn out to be very conservative, and Kennedy would have to cooperate. Even if Roberts turns out to be as conservative as I'm hoping, Kennedy might turn into another O'Conner (power-hungry swing vote)...
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:34:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cowboy7242001:
I dont know that Alito said anything about MGs, but even if he did, and even if he got it repealed, riddle me this:
How long is gonna take NY, CA and their gun fearin cousins to ban new MGs or MGs of any kind?

We are already not a Class 3 state. Given that the latest push in Albany has included another push to totally ban all military pattern rifles and not just stick with a clone of the old Federal ban, I would say you'll never see Class 3 approved in NYS.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:50:40 PM EDT
I highly doubt it. It is the Dems turn next and Bush has annointed Hillary as well as pissing off his moderate supporters for his lack of action on issues such as our borders. I say there is a much better chance they will all become non-transferable. JMO Clippen
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:06:27 AM EDT
Why do you think I purchased my ar lower now, versus waiting till I was actually financially able to complete it yet (read: I've started piecing it togethter, lower is all but finished, and will be before 3 years are up...because a preban reciever that was never assembled is about as usefull as a doggy chew toy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:00:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FanoftheBlackRifle:

Yes, and WHY was no new AWB enacted? Because even the furthest-left politicians realized it would be political suicide. Even Slick Willy himself admitted that the gun rights issue cost the Dems the 2000 election. And why was an anti-gun position to be avoided at all costs? Because WE made it that way.
WE, the people who voted on that issue, made it so. And for that matter, do you remember why the sunset provision was included in the first place? Because that was the only way it could get passed. The pro-gun politicos knew they couldn't win that time around, so they made it possible for us to fight another day. Too bad that wasn't done with the 1986 legislation.

Thus, even if indirectly, WE made the AWB go away.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2006 12:16:25 PM EDT by Model_One]

Originally Posted By fla556guy:
Why do you think I purchased my ar lower now...

Yes, go ahead an buy lowers, I've put a few away, myself. But that got me thinking - we can make lowers and probably the other aluminum parts easily enough on a CNC mill and date them however we want if necessary. But what is the choke point, the part or parts that we would have the hardest time acquiring if there was another ban?

It seems to me that parts that we currently take for granted as being freely available, such as barrels and special bits like bolts, barrel extensions and selectors would really be the problem if Hillary and the left really came back into (Congressional) power as in the Bush II / Clinton era.

I've always thought that it would be far worse for us if the barrel was the registered part. That the lower is currently the registered part is more or less arbitrary, after all. The original (AI manufactured) AR-10 was numbered on the upper receiver, not the lower, and of course the FAL "numbered part" is also the upper.

Can some of you guys with materials/manufacturing expertise provide some insight on this idea?

I went ahead and posted this as a new topic, here.
Top Top