Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/6/2006 9:46:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 10:01:18 AM EDT by danpass]
Background:

Currently using an Advent 3-speaker system. The two A channels go into the subwoofer and the satellites run off the subwoofer itself (neat when I lived in an apartment).

Now I want to run a bigger subwoofer in the living room. The Onkyo reciever has a separate subwoofer connection (looks just like RCA connector) and the menu system shows a separate field for adding/removing db for the subwoofer directly. [can I get the windows to shake without actually hearing it ? ]

The satellites can be wired direct to receiver (I suppose I can rig up an inline crossover [capacitor?] in the wires to minimize low freqs from blowing out the cones , otherwise I'll use them as surrounds). I have other full-range speakers as well (but they're a bit large). I also have true surround speakers with a center channel unit (no receiver for this setup)

This is the receiver I have TX-SR503

Usage: TV-DVD (90%) Music (10%)

I just started googling around and want to hear from those who have experience in these setups.

Want to spend less than $200 to add a subwoofer. I can build one if need be.

What are my options? Or I am semi-stuck with going for one of those theater-in-a-box setups?

thanks,
dan

edit: SK-HT530 - ok where has this been all this time . Anyone have experience with this?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
I have a free stander, powered sub. Can't recall the brand, but I'll check tonight. IIRC, subs are the least critical to be tamber matched.

It rocks for movies, but i turn it off for music, my house sounds like a big pimpmobile.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:44:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CITADELGRAD87:
I have a free stander, powered sub. Can't recall the brand, but I'll check tonight. IIRC, subs are the least critical to be tamber matched.

It rocks for movies, but i turn it off for music, my house sounds like a big pimpmobile.

you make everyone else drive by you
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
I have one of these and love it!!

SVS
Top Top