Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 9:46:35 AM EDT
Background:

Currently using an Advent 3-speaker system.  The two A channels go into the subwoofer and the satellites run off the subwoofer itself (neat when I lived in an apartment).

Now I want to run a bigger subwoofer in the living room.  The Onkyo reciever has a separate subwoofer connection (looks just like RCA connector) and the menu system shows a separate field for adding/removing db for the subwoofer directly.  [can I get the windows to shake without actually hearing it ? ]

The satellites can be wired direct to receiver (I suppose I can rig up an inline crossover [capacitor?] in the wires to minimize low freqs from blowing out the cones , otherwise I'll use them as surrounds).  I have other full-range speakers as well (but they're a bit large).  I also have true surround speakers with a center channel unit (no receiver for this setup)

This is the receiver I have TX-SR503

Usage: TV-DVD (90%) Music (10%)

I just started googling around and want to hear from those who have experience in these setups.

Want to spend less than $200 to add a subwoofer.  I can build one if need be.

What are my options?  Or I am semi-stuck with going for one of those theater-in-a-box setups?

thanks,
dan

edit: SK-HT530 - ok where has this been all this time .  Anyone have experience with this?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a free stander, powered sub.  Can't recall the brand, but I'll check tonight.  IIRC, subs are the least critical to be tamber matched.  

It rocks for movies, but i turn it off for music, my house sounds like a big pimpmobile.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a free stander, powered sub.  Can't recall the brand, but I'll check tonight.  IIRC, subs are the least critical to be tamber matched.  

It rocks for movies, but i turn it off for music, my house sounds like a big pimpmobile.  

you make everyone else drive by you
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these and love it!!

SVS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top