Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 2:02:57 PM EDT
this movie just ended, and I always enjoy watching it......we are coming up on the 20th anniversary of that movie coming out, and I still think it's one of the best Vietnam movies of the last few decades.....does anyone else think so?...and If this has already been covered.....then I dub myself a DUPE!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Best Vietnam movie ever goes to Apocalypse Now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a good movie.

But i always wondered if the Army really had that many pot smokers.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Close but you're way off.

Platoon was mainly about Stone's own experiences.  He went into Vietnam gung-ho and pro-American and a believer, and came out the Oliver Stone we all know now.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree. It was a good movie.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
this movie just ended, and I always enjoy watching it......we are coming up on the 20th anniversary of that movie coming out, and I still think it's one of the best Vietnam movies of the last few decades.....does anyone else think so?...and If this has already been covered.....then I dub myself a DUPE!

"Hamburger Hill" is much better than either Platoon or AN.

"Platoon" took a variety of rare occurrences and meshed them together as the experiences of one unit.  By extrapolation, they could have been the experiences of every unit, but weren't.  It grossly misrepresented some of that war's atrocities and lunacy.

I think "The Boys in Company C" is a close second.

"Apocalypse  Now" wasn't even really a war movie.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I agree. It was a good movie.

+1, have it on disc.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Platoon" took a variety of rare occurrences and meshed them together as the experiences of one unit.  By extrapolation, they could have been the experiences of every unit, but weren't.  It grossly misrepresented some of that war's atrocities and lunacy.

Yes, Apocalypse Now was a clever adaptation of a Joseph Conrad novel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, Apocalypse Now was a clever adaptation of a Joseph Conrad novel.

"Heart of Darkness"
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I want what you're smoking.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Platoon is a good war movie. I think it is far better than Apocalypse Now. I never really like Apocalypse Now. It's one of the best 'nam moves in my opinion, Full Metal Jacket holds the top spot in that category though
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I still go with We Were Soldiers although it was a true story that ocurred in '65.  The later movies reflected the "changes" in thinking of the troops/draftees and were more like Platoon etc.  I like the WWS better, since the war was still thought to be a good and patriotic effort. The later movies showed how an Army etc. will go to shit without a real mission and support from the folks back home......sound familiar?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Heart of Darkness, the book on which Apocalypse Now is based on is much better.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It was a good movie.

Well I can tell you my experience of being in the Army 11/73-11/76. Vietnam was still going on but no one was going over. The last of the draftees were on the downside of their time in the Army and they had about a 99% FTA attitude. Most of the guys I met who were draftees smoked pot and I'd say there were a bunch of volunteers who did too.  I didn't smoke when I joined but by the time I had 2 years in I was smoking my fair share. The Army was a mess back then, it's a good thing we didn't get into another war around that time cause we'd have been in some deep shit
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It was a good movie.

Well I can tell you my experience of being in the Army 11/73-11/76. Vietnam was still going on but no one was going over. The last of the draftees were on the downside of their time in the Army and they had about a 99% FTA attitude. Most of the guys I met who were draftees smoked pot and I'd say there were a bunch of volunteers who did too.  I didn't smoke when I joined but by the time I had 2 years in I was smoking my fair share. The Army was a mess back then, it's a good thing we didn't get into another war around that time cause we'd have been in some deep shit

Interesting. I thought it was an isolated incident that Stone witnessed and used in a movie. Never really considered it mainstream because of the political activism directors relied on to make a buck in the theaters.

I really had no idea that using the substance was common practice throughout the army over there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#15]
We were soldiers was the best. Full metal jacket could have been the best if they redid everything after the gunny got shot.  I only watch it to that point now, because I think the whole Vietnam aspect of it sucked.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Not really in the movie section but IMHO... "Tour of Duty" was great.

~nb
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Best two movies on the Vietnam War are Dear America: Letters Home From Vietnam and The Anderson Platoon.  Everything else is distant.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Good movie, Platoon, until they used a minimag- light after the ambush or whatever to look for dead zipperheads.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to vote FMJ as #1
With Apocalypse Now running a close 2nd , but then I'm twisted , just a tad.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a greater fan of
"Hamburger Hill"
for 80's Era Nam Films
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Good movie, Platoon, until they used a minimag- light after the ambush or whatever to look for dead zipperheads.

The too long carbines didn't throw you, but the flashlight did?
Barnes with 16" carbine
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The too long carbines didn't throw you, but the flashlight did?

Or two knives that weren't invented at that time?

Seriously Platoon was a damn well made movie... a couple of the sequences with Sheen could have been shown at the Infantry school.  Very realistic combat sequences the best at that time.  But it takes Stone's personal experiences that occured over two tours as well as some separate incedents and crams them in to like two months.  I just get sick of people showing that the the Amarican fighting man was a doped up psychopathic babykilling rapist just waiting for an oprotunity to kill another American.  Everything that was good about Platoon can be traced to technical advisor Dale Dye.

My choice...

We Were Soldiers: It's amazing that this movie gets so much flak from the leftists as it showed more of the Vietnamese side than any other movie... and showed it well.  Just shows how full of shot they are I guess.

My second favorite: Hamburger Hill, because it showed the brutality but also the brotherhood of people in the conflict and didn't pull any punches about the war.

My third: The Green Berets because it showed a part of the war, IMHO the most succesfull and well directed part that gets no play whatsoever in the movies (meaning the CIDG program).  Incedentaly I love the Duke and the Green Berets in the camps are my favorite part of military history so I'm probably bias

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Or two knives that weren't invented at that time?

Which were they?
Barnes dagger?
Was it Cold Steel?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
We Were Soldiers: It's amazing that this movie gets so much flak from the leftists as it showed more of the Vietnamese side than any other movie... and showed it well.  Just shows how full of shot they are I guess.

My second favorite: Hamburger Hill, because it showed the brutality but also the brotherhood of people in the conflict and didn't pull any punches about the war.

My third: The Green Berets because it showed a part of the war, IMHO the most succesfull and well directed part that gets no play whatsoever in the movies (meaning the CIDG program).  

QFT
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#29]
What does QFT mean?

Barnes carried a Cold Steel push dagger and Elias carried a Cold Steel Tanto
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What does QFT mean?

"Quoted For Truth"

Sorta like "+1".
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got to go with "We Were Soldiers" as well, though Platoon is a great flick.  FMJ is really only great because of R. Lee Ermey's amazing performance.  Think about it.  If anyone else had been the DI, it would only be a 'good' movie, instead of a classic.  

ETA: Forrest Gump.  But thats one of the best movies ever
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
FMJ is really only great because of R. Lee Ermey's amazing performance.  Think about it.  If anyone else had been the DI, it would only be a 'good' movie, instead of a classic.  

Funny you should say that.  Ermey was hired as a technical advisor.  The door gunner in UH-34(get some, get some), Tim Coercen, was actually casted as the DI.  Ermey went to show Tim how to yell, and went off for like 5 minutes straight, without repeating anything, and Kubrik gave him the part.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]
It's 1 of my favorties, hamburger hill and full metal jacket are also really enjoyable, I actually thought the vietnam fighting was good in full metal jacket, although the boot camp phase is good 2, 2 different movies in 1 in a way.
I enjoyed we were soldiers as a movie but it's not 1 of those I can watch whenever it's on as platoon or some of the others are.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#35]
I really wonder if he knew someone from Wampum, PA?  Considering I live fairly close to there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Good movie, but I think "We Were Soldiers" was a better film.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Love it.  In fact, I have all the action figures.  (No references to you-know-who )

www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/reviews/051503platoon_image01.jpg

www.toymania.com/news/images/0403_platoon_red_sm.jpg
www.toymania.com/news/images/0403_platoon_lerner_icon.jpg
www.toyboxer.com/images/full/SIDESHOW_rhah2.jpg

NorCal, the detail on those are incredible.  You NEVER see lifelike faces on action figures, it seems.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:28:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

that movie sucks major ass and always will
serioulsy though I really hate that movie
platoon and FMJ are  a brazillon times better
and hamburger hill  heck even seige on  firebase gloria and the green berets are better IMO

edit damn forgot we were soldiers  I agree that is probably the best VN movie yet
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Platoon....

I loved the ending as "Bunny" was "Hanging Like Audey Murphy" banging it out from his foxhole with his 12 guage!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I enjoy watching Platoon about once a year.  I never saw any drugs over there in '67-'68 but we drank beer all day long.  When a mortar attack came in , you could pace yourself to the bunker because they walked the mortars in, so we would grab our cigarettes and all the beer we could carry and head to the bunker. (with rockets, you didn't think much about beer...)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I enjoy watching Platoon about once a year.  I never saw any drugs over there in '67-'68 but we drank beer all day long.  When a mortar attack came in , you could pace yourself to the bunker because they walked the mortars in, so we would grab our cigarettes and all the beer we could carry and head to the bunker. (with rockets, you didn't think much about beer...)

What unit were you in?
Platoon is based on Oliver Stone's 3/22nd in 1968.
My dad was in 4/23rd in 69. He can't sit through Platoon because of some of the leftist viewpoints Stone expresses(i.e, murder & rape scene in the ville, etc.) but he says other elements ring true.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:05:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top