Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/26/2006 3:02:39 AM EDT
Just rented 7 episodes of Firefly,

They were great. I had never seen the show before. When I went to the movie, I had little expectations, as most of the folks who were praising it were much younger then myself. But I was blown away by the movie. I went back and saw it 3 times in the theater! But I never expected the TV version to match the movie's style and dark humor. I was wrong again. Great characters, with mature motivations and dialog. With all the spin-kick crap on now-a-days, how in the wide wide world of sports did Firefly get canceled??

It was great to see how the crew came aboard, one story at a time. What a kick to see Jayne get tuff love in the airlock for being a rat. And the whore who telles her baby, "Say hi to daddy (KAPOW) Say bye to daddy". The effects are good stuff. I love the western tone of slang, clothes and guns. Man, the guns are great fun in a space movie! And the women... (squirm), whew. Kaylee is a cutey, Zoe is a fox, and I've developed a serious crush on Inara. At my age?!

Anyway, you fans were right. I now wanna own all the episodes. And I want another run of the series!!! And I want more movies too. This is some killer writing, not just pop-references and too hip retorts, like the other si-fis on TV now. I didn't think I'd ever be a fan of another si-fi TV show at my jaded time of life. I was wrong again, thank the stars.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:44:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 7:29:51 AM EDT by raven]

Originally Posted By Spyda:
With all the spin-kick crap on now-a-days, how in the wide wide world of sports did Firefly get canceled??

Fox scheduled it for Friday night, and aired the episodes out of order when they depended on serial presentation. I think they even aired some episode intended to later airing first, then did the pilot in midrun.

They fucked over The Family Guy even worse, airing it all over the schedule so you never knew when it was on. Then when a cable network showed it on a regular basis and people knew when it was on, it was a ratings winner and Fox revived it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:54:45 AM EDT
The box set is only 35 bucks. Pick it up, loan it to your friends.

Star Trek got canceled in the 60's, and eventually turned into a huge franchise through syndication. I don't see why we can't do the same with Firefly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:08:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:

Star Trek got canceled in the 60's, and eventually turned into a huge franchise through syndication. I don't see why we can't do the same with Firefly.

Sadly not going to happen.

There are not enough Firefly episodes. Including the pilot there are only 15 hours of Firefly episodes. Star Trek on the other hand had around 80 episodes.

Another reason is when Star Trek was canceled it had a big following and everyone knew what it was… most people still have no idea what Firefly was or that it was ever on TV

Now with the movie falling flat at the box office Firefly will be at best be a footnote few ever know about.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Originally Posted By Doucheatron3000:

Sadly not going to happen.

There are not enough Firefly episodes. Including the pilot there are only 15 hours of Firefly episodes. Star Trek on the other hand had around 80 episodes.

Another reason is when Star Trek was canceled it had a big following and everyone knew what it was… most people still have no idea what Firefly was or that it was ever on TV

Now with the movie falling flat at the box office Firefly will be at best be a footnote few ever know about.

I've managed to get a fair number of people to purchase the box set by lending them mine. They've told their friends and will continue to do so. If the box set sells fifteen million copies, and the movie sells a similar amount, I would think that would make those in charge of Firefly/Serenity take notice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:37:12 AM EDT
Good points, all.

Perhaps the next Firefly movie needs a better villain? If a popular guest starts as the bad guy, maybe the reciepts would go up. The 1st Star Trek was a mess. Too maudlin, with little action. But the 2nd had Recardo Mataban in The Wrath of Khan, and it was a hit. As the old adage goes, a great villain makes a great movie.

But with series stars dying in the first one, is it even possible to make another?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:43:37 PM EDT

Good points, all.

Perhaps the next Firefly movie needs a better villain? If a popular guest starts as the bad guy, maybe the reciepts would go up. The 1st Star Trek was a mess. Too maudlin, with little action. But the 2nd had Recardo Mataban in The Wrath of Khan, and it was a hit. As the old adage goes, a great villain makes a great movie.

But with series stars dying in the first one, is it even possible to make another?

The have already said there will not be a sequel, Firefly/Serenity is dead.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:20:59 PM EDT
*sigh* fucking FOX the screwed space above and beyond also
they sure love to screw up and cancel quality sci fi
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:50:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

Fox scheduled it for Friday night, and aired the episodes out of order when they depended on serial presentation. I think they even aired some episode intended to later airing first, then did the pilot in midrun.

Actually, the last episode aired by F*X was the 2hr pilot.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:58:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 8:10:27 AM EDT by Brohawk]

Originally Posted By Moose:

Originally Posted By raven:

Actually, the last episode aired by F*X was the 2hr pilot.

[Book]There's a place for them in a special level of hell - a place reserved for child molesters and people who talk in the theater.[/Book]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:50:45 PM EDT

Good points, all.

I thought that the villan in the movie was great. What can be more scarry than a polite psycopath that believes in doing everything and anything he can to protect a government of libtard, idividual right opressing monsters?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:39:37 PM EDT
Agreed Mort,

But it's all about the actor's name. Star Power. It's the one thing that Firefly was missing. Now don't get me wrong, I don't need them, but names do put butts in the seats.

I demand they do another movie.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore. Get up. Go to the window. Open it and shout as loud as you can. I'm mad as hell and I won't take it anymore!
Top Top