Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just saw it, it was a pretty good movie.  There were obvious, over-the-top slams at Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly, Christianity, and a disgusting but oblique insinuation that the USA government was behind 9/11. I dont think the British will appreciate the spectacle of seeing Parliament and the Clock Tower being blown up in a joyous climax, either.

I tried to think "it's just a movie" when those moments came up, but they were so ham-handed.

Oh, and a silly moment when a bad guy/cop was thrown off his feet by the force of a thrown knife.

But otherwise, pretty good movie. Actually, the basic plot isn't all that different from Serenity, in regards to why the government wanted to kill River.  It's kind of like "What if River went after the government instead of running and hiding from it?"
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Got back a while ago from seeing it.

Overall, I felt it was pretty true to the comic series, so that was cool.

I thought that the insinuation that the government was behind the avian flu was a bit stupid.

Overall, I think it's a movie that a bunch of libtards intended to be a bash on the right or on conservatism, but they're too stupid to even do that right.

Feeling the anti-right vibe throughout the entire movie, I had to laugh my ass off at the discussion of the unarmed populace marching on the military forces around the Houses of Parliament:

"What do you think is going to happen?"

"The same thing that always happens when people without guns go up against people with guns..."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought the movie was excellent. Probably my favorite movie.

While there were the anti-Bush, etc., references, it detracted only nominally. I think the main idea (freedom) still stands regardless of the villains.

Edit:

It IS artsy, and while I think that may hurt its acceptance here, I liked it.

His actions are not at all realistic, i.e. there is no way he could really fight all those people with a knife when they have guns. But I don't think it matters that much. If anything it probably adds to it - it seems above being realistic in that sense.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
His actions are not at all realistic, i.e. there is no way he could really fight all those people with a knife when they have guns. But I don't think it matters that much. If anything it probably adds to it - it seems above being realistic in that sense.

Genetic modification was the explanation for that.

Think Nazi scientists experimenting in concentration camps - this is what they did in Larkhill.

While the movie doesn't get quite as detailed as the book (and the book doesn't even get THAT detailed), the experiments and modifications performed upon him made him extremely strong, agile and augmented his intelligence.

Matrix-level agility?  I dunno, but far beyond a normal man, most definitely.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think Nazi scientists experimenting in concentration camps - this is what they did in Larkhill.

While the movie doesn't get quite as detailed as the book (and the book doesn't even get THAT detailed), the experiments and modifications performed upon him made him extremely strong, agile and augmented his intelligence.

I wasn't sure, but I got the impression that he somehow forgot about his past. I think it said something to that effect but I didn't know if it was literal or figurative.

Do you know?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wasn't sure, but I got the impression that he somehow forgot about his past. I think it said something to that effect but I didn't know if it was literal or figurative.

Do you know?

I don't remember it being in the comic, but the movie makes mention of him forgetting his past prior to his internment in Larkhill.

Both the comic and the movie comment on the genetic manipulation and modification - Delia, the coroner/female doctor from Larkhill, her diaries reflect upon the experiments, and their effects.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
excellent movie.

Favorite scene? When the investigator keeps asking... "what if?"

here is a video that should be viewed with the movie, before or afterwards for shits and giggles.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8260059923762628848&q=september+11

Edit: WARNING WARNING If you are a sandy vagina with no self control over where your mouse clicks please don't click the above link to the 9/11 conspiracy video that you've already seen a million times! I personally thought that St. Mary's Virus would be a excellent allegory to allegations from some that there is more to 9/11 than we know. Because of whining, i'll also include a paper written by a mormon physics professor (so it's gotta be fake)
www.physics.byu.edu/research/energy/htm7.html

i'm not a tin foil hat man by any means, but catching the above video before the movie definately made for a more fun experience. In this fictional movie, I like the point of how Britain doesn't have a 2nd ammendment to protect the RKBA.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

i'm not a tin foil hat man by any means, but catching the above video before the movie definately made for a more fun experience. In this fictional movie, I like the point of how Britain doesn't have a 2nd ammendment to protect the RKBA.

AGNTSYA...............Can the people who take that seriously please stop posting here?  And especially not in a thread wholly unrelated?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Another "thumbs up" for V.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
excellent movie.

here is a video that should be viewed with the movie, before or afterwards for shits and giggles.

You should be banned for even posting that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#11]
This was positively the stupidest movie I've seen in years, maybe because I never read the comic books.

1. Terrorism is good.
2. Blowing up the government is good.
3. Knives are better than guns in a street fight (super-hero nonsense I realise).
4. We should sympathise with homosexuals because they are oppressed by the government.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
excellent movie.

You should be banned for even posting that.

+1,000  

What the hell were you thinking Gordon Freeman?  You need to go back to Half Life 2.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This was positively the stupidest movie I've seen in years, maybe because I never read the comic books.

1. Terrorism is good.
2. Blowing up the government is good.
3. Knives are better than guns in a street fight (super-hero nonsense I realise).
4. We should sympathise with homosexuals because they are oppressed by the government.

If that's what you took from the movie, wow.  I'm sorry you don't get it.

1.  The whole idea that "terrorism is good" wasn't in the movie, from my perspective.  The bad guys called V a terrorist.  He wasn't.  He was fighting to liberate people from their oppression.

2.  The idea that "blowing up the government is good" is a bit of oversimplification.  We're talking a totalitarian government here that was severely oppressing it's people (some more than others) - you either toe the company line, or you get removed.

3.  I've always considered his use of knives a humorous nod to the whole "guns are banned in England" bit.  It's also more stylish and theatrical, and V is all about style and theatre.

4.  That part probably went a bit far.  The character of Gordon wasn't a homosexual in the books.  The whole "government hates Muslims and homosexuals!" bit in the movie was overboard, as a few other parts were, sure.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#14]
When will people realize that NOT EVERY GOD DAMN THING IS POLITICAL? Sure, it was a movie about politics. It was also a fucking comic. Not everything has to somehow be related to the libs hating Bush or the commies trying to take our guns. I dont know how some of you god damn people sleep at night. Just shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#15]
[
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#16]
]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
When will people realize that NOT EVERY GOD DAMN THING IS POLITICAL? Sure, it was a movie about politics. It was also a fucking comic. Not everything has to somehow be related to the libs hating Bush or the commies trying to take our guns. I dont know how some of you god damn people sleep at night. Just shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie.

That "fucking comic" was a highly political social commentary.

Perhaps you should read up on what Alan Moore or David Lloyd have to say about their "fucking comic".

Maybe everything isn't political, but this comic and movie sure the fuck were.

Just sit the fuck down, and shut the fuck up about things that are obviously over your head.

I dont find hollywood or ARFCOMMERs obsessive political rants over my head. Piss off.

"Oh no! American Multi Cinema is too smart for me! It is collapsing the government as we know it! Oh no!"

Get over yourself.

Thank you for your keen and insightful observations on this comic/movie.

Quoted:

Whaaaaa, people are saying things I don't like, in this thread that someone forced me to click on, whaaaaa!!!  EVERYBODY SHUT UP, DON'T SAY THINGS I DON'T LIKE!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw the movie, but have never read the comics nor any other material.

Yes, the totalitarian govt in the film was fascist. Communist governments have never received the negative attention in film they well deserve, for a variety of reasons, but the dialogue in many cases works both ways.

Yes, Muslims and homosexuals were given a good bit of emphasis in the film.

A bit of neat action, however physically impossible some of it may be.

You would be entertained to watch it, even if you only downloaded it, in case your politics prevented you from supporting the ideas.

I like to think of V as a pretty flexible type of hero; in other words, the antagonists could have been any kind of govt, and the film would have been just as good.

Hopefully, people will realize the dual-use nature of the statements made in the film, and not apply them soley to right of center politics.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
[
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Pull your dick out of the goat and listen for a second. I never said people should no longer speak, nor did I say I owned this thread. It seems you are offended at your own over reactions to movies and I struck a nerve when calling someone like you out on it.

Really?  You never said people should no longer speak?  Considering the entire tone of this thread was about the politics of the movie, and you said, and I quote, "Just shut the fuck up and enjoy the movie."  This followed your exasperation at the political discussion.

Sounds like you told people not to speak anymore to me.

"WHAAA IM KYTHRI AND THIS MOVIE IS ANTI-2ND AMENDMENT BECAUSE HILLARY DUFF DOESNT CARRY A GUN AND GETS INTO SCARY ADVENTURES! EVERYONE KNOWS SHE SHOULD BE PROTECTED! WHAAAAA!"

Never said it was anti-second amendment.  We've already established your incapability at comprehending the performing arts, and apparently we've now established your incapability at understanding the written word.

Perhaps you should go back and read what I wrote about the movie, and this time, please, just TRY to comprehend.  Get a dictionary for the big words.  I apologize for not having  expressed myself monosyllabically enough for your limited grasp of the language of the land.

I said that I felt an anti-right vibe through the movie, and that I believe some libtards intended it to be a bash on the right.  I felt that they failed at such, even including a couple of pro-gun sentiments in the movie.

Overall, the movie ended up being strongly Libertarian (much like the original), which I'm sure was not the intent of the makers of the movie.

I wasnt saying people shouldnt talk about it, but I was giving a different perspective on how one would view a movie. I am sorry you are so decayed that you cant even enjoy a god damn movie without freaking out about any form of undertone you conjure. Jackass.

Yes, you were saying people shouldn't talk about it.  I greatly enjoyed the movie, so I'm curious where you found anything I said that implied I didn't enjoy it.  Not once did I "freak out" about anything, unlike your screaming for people to shut the fuck up.

Any undertone that I commented about wasn't conjured, it was in the movie.

You seriously need to get back on your meds.  Your comprehension is impaired, as it seems, is your perception of reality.

Or, let me put that in plain English for you, so there's nothing lost in translation:  You're a fucking moron.

*EVERYTHING* coming out of Hollywood these days is politicized.  If that makes you weepy, I suggest you go buy up someone's backstock of Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen movies.  Those should provide you some wholesome goodness and warmth - something you can enjoy without having to worry about those big bad politics.  Might I suggest you start with How The West Was Fun?  It's on sale at Amazon right now.  Knock yourself out, kiddo.

(Edited for spelling error, and a missing quote tag)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#21]
It was alright. Good basic premise, so-so execution.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Perhaps this was the wrong thread to end up going insane about people talking about politics with everything, given this was the most political movie I had seen in a while.

In the end, I just have a problem with people over analyzing movies. I strongly disagree with the claim that all movies are politicized, though it is true that, like this one, many are. On the other hand, there are still movies that are neither have political agenda nor are they produced, starred by, or benefitting from the Olsen twins.

Sorry for the hijack, I resign from this thread to keep it from being locked. Sorry for the personal attacks, its been a long week.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I didn't realize that Larry Wachowski had or was going to have a sex change operation performed. I guess now we know where the whole overdone persecution/execution of gays thing came from.

Apparently he's into S&M bondage type stuff and divorced his high school sweet heart to be with a dominatrix that took him on as her slave. She too was married... to a transexual man.

Jesus Christ, the guy is all sorts of fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:17:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered the original graphic novel off of Amazon tonight.

Beware though...originally I called up the book store and had them order it. It was like half the price of Amazon (w/o shipping) so I went with that. I told them it was by Alan Moore. My book comes in, and it's a book by Steve Moore.

Turns out Steve Moore wrote a novelization of the MOVIE.

Kind of backwards, I think...taking a graphic novel and turning it into a movie, then making a book based off of the movie. I don't know. It might have been good. I returned it and told them they ordered the wrong thing.

So the lesson here: Beware if you're going to buy "the book" that you want the one by ALAN Moore, not STEVE Moore.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So the lesson here: Beware if you're going to buy "the book" that you want the one by ALAN Moore, not STEVE Moore.

This is what you want:

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what you want:

www.kythri.net/pictures/v.jpg

Yep...that's what I ordered from Amazon. Should be here Saturday.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Finally went and saw it last night, and liked it quite a bit.  Its pretty obvious to me that V was a homosexual and was sent to the camps for that reason.  He does an awful lot of prancing around with Evey, it seems, even if he has completely forgotten his past.

The final shootout scene was excellent.  I just with that V had used some more realistic fighting moves when he was dismantling those security guys.

Creedy: Defiant until the end, huh? You won't cry like him, will you? You're not afraid of death. You're like me.
V: The only thing that you and I have in common, Mr. Creedy, is that we're both about to die.
Creedy: How do you imagine that's gonna happen?
V: With my hands around your neck.
Creedy: Bullocks. Whatchya gonna do, huh? We've swept this place. You've got nothing. Nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy karate gimmicks. We have guns.
V: No, what you've have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I will no longer be standing, because if I am you will all be dead before you've reloaded.

Outstanding dialogue there.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Finally went and saw it last night, and liked it quite a bit.  Its pretty obvious to me that V was a homosexual and was sent to the camps for that reason.  He does an awful lot of prancing around with Evey, it seems, even if he has completely forgotten his past.

Nah.  The camps were filled with Muslims, Blacks, Homosexuals, Gypsies, you name it.  If it wasn't white or Christian, it was in the camp.

I think they did a pretty decent job of keeping V non-denominational in that sense.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah.  The camps were filled with Muslims, Blacks, Homosexuals, Gypsies, you name it.  If it wasn't white or Christian, it was in the camp.

I think they did a pretty decent job of keeping V non-denominational in that sense.

I got into a heated debate at another forum, and I did some research, because I thought the same thing.

Turns out, in the comic book, he is openly "out". However, as we all know the movie modified the story heavily to make it more conducive to an american political message... the comic book was Facism vs. Anarchism. The movie is San Francisco vs. Pat Robertson... but for some reason V's sexuality was left only to nudges and winks... ie, the coincidental similarities of V to the doomed TV show host.

And as we all know from the movie, "there are no coincidences, just the illusions of them"
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:53:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

V was gay? I thought he just acted like that because he was British.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I got into a heated debate at another forum, and I did some research, because I thought the same thing.

Turns out, in the comic book, he is openly "out".

Guess I'm going to have to go re-read it again.  I read it just before the movie came out, and didn't get that vibe at all, nor did a buddy I loaned the book to.

Oh well - it was a good read the first time.  The second shouldn't be too much worse.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Excelent movie, if some people can get past it bashing their precious conservatives.

Disclaimer:
The above statement was not meant at an attack toward any person, just a treand I have seen on this board.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Just watched it tonight in the theater...pure, leftist propaganda.

I want my $8 back, you bitches.

edit: The attempt to link the government to 9/11 was enough to turn me off. This is a major motion picture making an overt argument than the United States government killed 3000 of its own citizens in the name of power.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:10:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Excelent movie, if some people can get past it bashing their precious conservatives.

Disclaimer:
The above statement was not meant at an attack toward any person, just a treand I have seen on this board.

Gosh, imagine that?  A board with a predominantly conservative membership doesn't like things that bash on conservatives.

Whatever is this world coming to?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

edit: The attempt to link the government to 9/11 was enough to turn me off. This is a major motion picture making an overt argument than the United States government killed 3000 of its own citizens in the name of power.

Where the hell was that in the movie?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where the hell was that in the movie?

I don't remember an overt argument, as TheCynic puts it, but I felt that the whole idea that the government was behind all the terrorist poisonings, along with all the images of 9/11 and avian flu, among other disasters, was an insinuation that the government was behind things.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#38]
It was a MOVIE and the story was written before 9/11. If it was a leftist propaganda film wouldn't they be fighting to keep the government in power??  I see it as a proFREEDOM movie

For your protection.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It was a MOVIE and the story was written before 9/11.

The "story" (meaning the GN storyline) is just fine and that part of the movie was passable.

The screenplay, however, was written long after 9/11 and all the little leftist shots were what pissed the movie away for me.

"You've been found guilty by a secret tribunal..."
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:22:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Greatest movie ever.

My lady friend hated it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:56:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Greatest movie ever.

My lady friend hated it.

Mine enjoyed it.  It was ok.  I snickered at quite a few parts.  His alluring alliteration was quite good on their first meeting.  I thought it should have been made a bit clearer on how he was 'made'...but whatever.  

During the interrogation I kept adding "Mr. Anderson...." silently.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
His alluring alliteration was quite good on their first meeting

It was interesting.  Almost sounded scripted, but it was cool.  Just part of the mystery that is "V"'s character as to how he speaks so well, even under pressure.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top