Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:01:47 PM EDT

I've heard this movie uniformly lambasted here on ARFCOM.  I saw parts of it a few years ago, and finally got around to renting it to see what all the fuss was about.

I happen to think this is a great movie.  It is very anti-war, contrasting the natural beauty of the Pacific Islands with the horror that man creates upon them.  It shows men at their worst, and at their best.  I believe that any good war film should be at it's core anti-war, because no one (especially those who have fought in one) can deny that war is a terrible experience for all involved.

The film never looks at the big picture, instead focusing on the thoughts and emotions of a dozen or so of the men fighting for Guadalcanal.  Their raw fear is constantly on display - despite this they go forward into battle, and pay the price for it, either physically or mentally.

There are several battle scenes that I think are very well put-together, and which stand apart from most other filmed battles.  The men in them are clearly scared to death.  They stumble, fall, or freeze with panic at the worst moments.  Only one man in the film is truly without fear, and the war eats him as it does so many others.

The cinematography is beautiful, and the acting is outstanding.  The music by Hans Zimmer is also terrific.  Though there are a number of famous actors on screen, no single man dominates this film.  Jim Caviezel comes closest, but only by virtue of being the first character we meet.  

There is quite a bit of narration in this film, by several of the actors, and much of it is confusing.  I had a hard time following their constant train-of-thought monologues.  

Other than that, a terrific film all around.   This one makes me want to see A New World, which is the director's newest film, and which has been compared to The Thin Red Line quite a bit.   I'll be buying this DVD shortly.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I'm going to have to disagree.

I distinctly remember disliking it to a great extent, before hearing that no one else liked it either.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked it too.  It's not a real good movie, too little plot and it just kind of rambles all over the place because the narrative and plot wasn't strong enough, and I think the casting was bad and distracting.  But it's very beautiful and poetic filmmaking.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I only ever saw it once, in the theater.  It came out shortly after Saving Private Ryan and that raised expectations that it failed to meet.  As an "artsy movie" it wasn't bad, but as a "war movie" it just didn't work for me.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
after watching Band of Brothers other war movies are hard to watch
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Most definitely. It's hard to argue with Band of Brothers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most definitely. It's hard to argue with Band of Brothers.

The BEST war movie to date.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Of course, I like lots of other war movies better, particlularly Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan.  I just think this film has gotten a real bad rap for having too much talking and not enough action.

I liked the casting of numerous A-list stars in smaller roles.  It added realism to Sean Penn's quote "You think one man can make a difference in all this madness?"  We are so used to seeing all these big name actors singlehandedly clean house on the big screen, and now to see them have no meaningful impact on the bigger picture was a breath of fresh air for me.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:39:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I think that so many other great war movies and tv seriers are out, that Thin Red Line just looked really bad.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I liked it also. not the best... but ok
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree....I love it. I hated it the first time I saw it...but I watched it looking for a Pacific Saving Private Ryan...which it is most definitely not. It took about 3 or 4 watches before I came around.

BUT, I think the cinematography was incredible. I thought the scenes were very realistic (especially the scenes in the high grass, where you just get glimpses of the enemy, and all of a sudden bullets are whipping by....)

From a strictly STORY standpoint, it is no SPR or BOB, being rather esoteric and dreamy and lots of disjointed narrative. But from an eye candy point of view, excellent.

If you can sit back and dispell the pre-conceived notions of a "war movie" you might find it more enjoyable....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I walked out of the movie. only one I ever did that to. It was THAT bad
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I liked it. Could have done without all of  the flashbacks between the husband/wife and the guy swimming with the children. Taking the hill, the fight by the river along with the interaction between the troops carried the film and overall made it a great war movie.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I liked it. Could have done without all of  the flashbacks between the husband/wife and the guy swimming with the children. Taking the hill, the fight by the river along with the interaction between the troops carried the film and overall made it a great war movie.

I liked the constant flashbacks to happier times, because I'll bet troops in combat spend a lot of their downtime thinking about the good things in their lives before the war.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought it was decent. There are much worse movies out there that people praise.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I had no expectations - so I liked it.

Agree that Band of Brothers is the best ever made on the topic.

It really isn't a war film = it's a Terrance Malick film. Rent 'Badlands.'
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Did not like it.  But then again I did not like BOB either.  Thought it was OK but not worth buying or seeing more than once.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did not like it.  But then again I did not like BOB either.  Thought it was OK but not worth buying or seeing more than once.

Burn the heretic!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]
First time I saw it, didn't really like it. Too philosphical.
Then I read a good account of the battle of Guadalcanal.  It made realize that within it's context, the movie was historically accurate, the major events portrayed actually took place for the most part, and with that in mind I enjoyed it much more.  

Anti-war? I don't know if it really was. After all war is a terrible thing, should it be portrayed as something that it is not, like all those John Wayne movies? Perhaps all war movies should be "Anti-War". It grew on me. I had an uncle that was on Guadalcanal in the Army force during WWII. If we bugged him enough he would tell us horror stories. There was nothing, I mean nothing glorious or seductive about war in the Pacific. Bugs, snakes, disease, a suicidal enemy, a sweat-drenched green hell. This movie portrays that. The jungle imagery was quite effective. The weapons were accurate, the Japanese seemed to be portrayed accurately. How many movies about the Pacific theatre can you name that are reasonably accurate in the detail? Not many.

The movie "Windtalkers" on the other hand was a load of hooey. It had ambitious goals, and the Navajo code talkers were certainly heroes for what they did, but the screenplay and script was one of the worst I have seen.  

I can't wait for the Pacific Theatre "Band of Brothers" I keep hearing about. It's long overdue.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#19]
The Thin Red line is about men who are on the "thin line" between insanity and sanity.   The naratives give you insight to the thoughts of these men, as they try to deal with war and the insanity that goes with it.  

I like the movie.  I didn't like it at first, but after watching it a few times, it gets better every time I see it.  I own it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#20]
ROFL, I thought this was about The Red Horseman
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I liked it also, but not on my list of favorite war movies, good action and beautiful scenery.
band of brothers is a fav. also, but my dogs recently chewed disc 2 enough that it doesn't play, do I have to buy another set, or is it possible to buy 1 particular disk somehow?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Burn the heretic!

+1

It must suck having no taste.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I do not like it however i really hated it the first time
I have caught parts of it on TV here and there and decided to rewatch it  I still do not like it  but  it is a well made pisture and  of course Woody Harrlson blows his ass off
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I hated the movie.

But I read the book twice and it is one of my favorite books.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I love this freakin' movie.  If you like cookie cutter war movies you may not like it.  If you don't mind thinking it's a good watch.  THis and private ryan are my to favs.  It depends on what mood I'm in.

Quoted:

I've heard this movie uniformly lambasted here on ARFCOM.  I saw parts of it a few years ago, and finally got around to renting it to see what all the fuss was about.

I happen to think this is a great movie.  It is very anti-war, contrasting the natural beauty of the Pacific Islands with the horror that man creates upon them.  It shows men at their worst, and at their best.  I believe that any good war film should be at it's core anti-war, because no one (especially those who have fought in one) can deny that war is a terrible experience for all involved.

The film never looks at the big picture, instead focusing on the thoughts and emotions of a dozen or so of the men fighting for Guadalcanal.  Their raw fear is constantly on display - despite this they go forward into battle, and pay the price for it, either physically or mentally.

There are several battle scenes that I think are very well put-together, and which stand apart from most other filmed battles.  The men in them are clearly scared to death.  They stumble, fall, or freeze with panic at the worst moments.  Only one man in the film is truly without fear, and the war eats him as it does so many others.

The cinematography is beautiful, and the acting is outstanding.  The music by Hans Zimmer is also terrific.  Though there are a number of famous actors on screen, no single man dominates this film.  Jim Caviezel comes closest, but only by virtue of being the first character we meet.  

There is quite a bit of narration in this film, by several of the actors, and much of it is confusing.  I had a hard time following their constant train-of-thought monologues.  

Other than that, a terrific film all around.   This one makes me want to see A New World, which is the director's newest film, and which has been compared to The Thin Red Line quite a bit.   I'll be buying this DVD shortly.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Burn the heretic!

+1

It must suck having no taste.

The made for TV feel just pulled me out of it.  I mean it was interesting enough to watch once but after that I gave it away to my brother.  He was a huge fan of the series and could not believe I would just give it away but he was leaving for Iraq so what the hell.  Thought SPR was great and I know they both had similar direction.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#27]
I absolutely loved it.  The visuals were stunning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top