Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:05 PM EDT
Just what is Val Kilmer talking about when he is refering to the "huckleberry" thing?

"I'll be your huckleberry", or something to that effect.  

I have never figured that one out, I am kinda dense.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just what is Val Kilmer talking about when he is refering to the "huckleberry" thing?

It just sounded better than saying "You're my bitch."
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have read that Huckleberry could actually bee a slang term in the old south for "Hucklebearer" which meant the same as Pallbearer. Implying death.

It could have also been implying "I'm your man"
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:53:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm your Huckleberry.  Huck Finn was Tom Sawyer's companion, not afraid to join Tom in any adventure.

You throwing down, I'm up for the challenge.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
huckleberry was a very commin saying back in there day.  no diffrent then saying ill be your man.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Read this page
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Read this page

I buy his explanation, but he too readily discounts Twain, Doc was learned, and may have read Tom Sawyer.

Who CARES if Twain spelled out "huckleberry=your pard?"  Read to book;  that's what it is.  Just because he doesn't specifically use Huck as a euphamism for "pard" doesn't mean that the thinking public wouldn't draw that conclusion.

Lokk around this board, it's chock full of snipets from pop culture, quotes, etc.

No reason to think this is a modern phenominon.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
" a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person"

A good friend told me this was the meaning.  He was seldom wrong about anything.  I would go with this one.  It is more of a demeaning term, kinda like a sucker/gullible person.

/that's just my game!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That seems right, judging by the context.  

Now, what did Doc mean when he said "You're a daisy"?    Does he mean to imply you're a flower, or perhaps similar to Daisy Duke?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Daisy - 1. A common plant.... 2. It's flower. 3. A related tall chrysanthemum.... 4. (Slang) Something outstanding or notable.

Webster's New World Dictionary of the American Language - copyright 1960

I love old dictionaries
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Apparently it means "I am the right man for the job", according to my limited google search.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I was listening to the radio the other day, the local AM talk guys were jabbering and one of them threw out that line.  

I gotta remember that to use at work....it will go right over their heads.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems right, judging by the context.  

Now, what did Doc mean when he said "You're a daisy"?    Does he mean to imply you're a flower, or perhaps similar to Daisy Duke?

the quote is "You're no daisy" meaning that Ringo was not a daisy.  Daisy meaning something nice/of unexpected quality.  For example "Isn't that a daisy" describing his winning hand in the Oriental saloon with Ike Clanton.

BTW, check the sig line

ETA: gotta love quoting movies in daily conversation.  I use the "That's the rumor" quote quite often.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, it's a two-part quote:

Johnny Ringo: I got you now, you son of a bitch!
Doc Holliday: You're a daisy if you do!

Doc Holliday: [After shooting him down] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#14]
How many of you have actually been to Tombstone?  ,  i went there 3 times , and was surprised how remote the place is now ,  120 years ago it musta been something ! ,  to me the place is spooky , me and girlfriend walked down freemont st. late at night , easy to see ghosts everywhere !, very small town Birdcage theater was cool to see!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top