Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
Wife OK'd me to buy my own Christmas present (at least the big one).  I have a 66" wide space, plenty deep.  Wife wants to put cabinets on each side (I think I can keep her down to 15" on either side) So I can probably fit a unit overall width 32 ish inches.  I want High Def.  I want to keep in the $2,000 range.  Please advise, and be gentle with the tech terms.  

THANKS
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Any opinions on this?
Sony WEGA 50" Widescreen Digital-Cable-Ready Rear-Projection LCD

16:9 widescreen aspect ratio with fullscreen, zoom (14:9 or 16:9) viewing modes delivers a cinema-style entertainment experience

CineMotion reverse 3-2 pulldown for smoother movement and accurate reproduction of film-based sources

1280 x 720 pixel resolution supports 720p or 1080i signals for stunning image clarity

WEGA Engine delivers superb picture quality from any video source; DRC (Digital Reality Creation) circuit upgrades standard 480i signals to 480p or 960i, providing a near-high-definition picture from standard video signals

Color temperature controls (cool, neutral, warm 1, warm 2) make it easy to enjoy a custom viewing experience

Gamma compensation improves the depth of dark scenes and incorporates AI (artificial intelligence) to automatically analyze and adjust brightness

Black corrector corrects the black levels in bright scenes for enhanced picture contrast and detail

3 picture modes (vivid, standard, custom) let you customize your viewing experience

Live Color emphasizes blues and greens without affecting reds for a more natural, vivid picture; 3 levels of enhancement include high, medium and low

Progressive scanning maximizes the picture quality of progressive-scan DVD players, set-top boxes and digital video recorders

Inputs: 3 composite video, 3 component video, 1 S-video, 1 PC video and audio, 1 CableCARD slot, 1 HDMI, 5 audio, 1 RF

Outputs: 1 digital audio, 1 audio out (variable/fixed)

2 built-in 12W speakers with digital amplifier; SRS TruSurround XT and Dolby Digital audio effects deliver a virtual surround sound experience; Steady Sound prevents volume fluctuations and is ideal for night viewing

V-Chip parental controls keep children from being exposed to undesirable material

Other convenient features include Freeze Memo screen freeze, Speed Surf channel selection, closed captioning, Caption Vision, channel skip/add, channel jump and trilingual (English, French, Spanish) on-screen menus with auto channel programming

Universal remote with 2 AA batteries
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got that exact TV.  It's great.  Runs my Xbox 360 games in 720p beautifully.  HD broadcasts look great.  It was about $2400 at Costco with a free bundled stand that works well and assembled easily.  I'd definitely recommend the Sony TV.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The spec sheet I was using transposed Height and Width.  This is too  big.
I am pretty much sold on the LCD projection.  When is the best time to buy one?  Right before Christmas?  Right after?  Waait a month?  When the new model year comes along?  i can wait a bit if is like computers, where you can get todays cutting edge for a substantial mark down in a few months.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Its pretty common to see Best buy having sales of 0% financing for 18months on TVs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top