Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few pet peeves.
Firstly, It was predominantly done in "The A-Team". I loved the show when I was a kid.
Hannibal Smith would hang out the side of the Van, smoking a cigar, holding the door with one hand and a Mini-14 folder in the other hand shooting from the hip, and shoot the tires off of speeding cars and never miss. The bad guys could shoot scoped rifles from the hood of their car and not even hit the Van.

And what was up with the cars in cop shows? I mean, is it standard issue to give undercover cops and detectives unreliable pieces of shit to drive around in? Hunter, Murtaugh and Riggs, the list goes on.

Lastly-
Hollywood Lesbians.
In any movie you see, Its always two smokin' hot women. Blonde, blue eyes, big rack. You know the type.
I know several lesbian couples (both open and in-the-closet), and there isnt a hot one among them. One of them always looks like a dude, and the other one looks confused.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The Girl twisting her ankle and falling as she's running (usually in heels) away from the bad guy/ murderous psychopath.
WTH is up with that? Women can't run? They always trip...always...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How about cars that never run out of gas??  Oh sure, we see it happen once in a while, but never enough.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
They miss each other  way too many times, no one is that bad a shot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
How about the women, and occasionally men, that go "there" knowing the bad guy is waiting for them??

These idiots always enter the darkened room, or the basement, or the barn, or wherever. The killer is always waiting for them.

The other group of idiots - people that cannot use a firearm (of any kind or type!). The fumble trying to load it, or the drop the ammo, or for whatever reason when they need to shoot the bad guy, they fail to protect their own life.

Have you ever noticed how many of the so-called victims are high or drunk?? It should be a rule... don't get wasted when you are at summer camp, or driving through some swampy town.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hate hearing "point blank range."It is always mis-used because most people do not know what point blank really means.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Car chases. When the car hits the back of a parked car, it magically flys over it flips and crashes. A heck of a lot of people must place ramps behind their parked cars.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Guys getting hit lightly in the head and dropping immediately unconscious.

Guys getting hit in the head with a full forece basball bat type swing of a crowbar and they shrug it off.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#9]
There are several movies that hit on so many cliches:

Top Secret (w/ Val Kilmer).  Last Action Hero (Ahhhnold) and I'm sure there are others!

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
They miss each other  way too many times, no one is that bad a shot.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=414704
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The Girl twisting her ankle and falling as she's running (usually in heels) away from the bad guy/ murderous psychopath.

Your breasts put you at a natural disadvantage.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Loaded pump shotguns that never eject a shell when pumped.

Cops who tuck their sidearm into the waistband of their jeans and head off to work.

Cops who kill a dozen bad guys in one shoot out and never have to do paperwork, take a leave of absence, or appear in court.

Super expensive break-down sniper rifles that are needed to make a 50 yard shot.

Guy gets slashed in a knife fight and it is always a small cut that can be fixed by wrapping a piece of shirt around it.

The good guy always assumes those 5 center mass shots killed the bad guy but the bad guy ALWAYS comes back to life.  If I ever have an arch-nemesis that I finally kill I will shoot him 5 times in the head, cut off his arms, legs, and what's left of his head, then set his body on fire just to make sure the bastard doesn't come back.

Cars that ALWAYS roll over somehow during a chase.

At a funeral, the casket is always lowered while the people are standing there watching.  I have been to several funerals and this has never happened.

"When you kill someone by chopping off their head, rolling them up in a carpet and setting them on fire...You better make sure they're dead."
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
1.  In courtroom scenes the judge is always black, a woman, or both.  It's so reliable it's actually funny to see when this cliche happens.

2.  Bar scene?  A fight will break out.  In movies, it is nearly impossible to set foot in a bar without a fight breaking out.

3.  Carrying a sack of groceries?  In movies, there will always be a loaf of french bread sticking out of the bag.  Who the hell buys french bread?

4.  When you think the bad guy's finally dead at the end of the movie and the hero thinks he/she can relax, the "dead" bad guy was just faking and comes back for one last lunge before finally dying for real.

5.  Countdown timers!   Got to love the countdown timers, always defuse them at the last possible second.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:39:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hate hearing "point blank range."It is always mis-used because most people do not know what point blank really means.

actually that sounds like something i'd hear in the news.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Cops going alone into buildings that they believe has multiple armed criminals inside. Can you say backup?

Bad guys toting those Evil Assault Rifles fire full-auto from the hip at the good guy running away from them, and all their shots hit the ground around their feet.

Someone is always a ultra-tactical SWAT SEAL Ranger Green Beret Special Forces ninja, yet they go into battle with pistol-caliber submachine guns, and fire them full-auto from the hip.

Guns that make cocking and racking sounds whenever they're drawn, picked up, or moved.

People racking pistols, rifles, and shotguns randomly to show the other guy that they're serious.

Guy A sneaks up on guy B, who is looking for him. Guy A puts a gun to guy B's head. Guy B immediately stops, drops his gun, and gives up. Of course, guy A is so close, guy B could easily knock the gun out of the way and shoot. And if guy B had any sense, he would have shot as soon as he saw guy A.

And then, there's the political problems:

The Army is always evil. They're always willing to kill a bunch of people to get some kind of fancy weapon.

Private citizens with guns are always bumbling idiots.

Big evil plans are always carried out by Big Corporations. Governments are always good. Except for the US Government, of course.

The general public is always a bunch of idiots, and the truth must be kept from them at all costs

In general, Liberals are always wonderful, productive, sexually potent, witty, and intelligent. Conservatives are always drooling, violent, name-calling idiots who can't get it up.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Top Secret (w/ Val Kilmer).  Last Action Hero (Ahhhnold) and I'm sure there are others!

Team America: World Police was basically a movie-length satire on action movie cliches.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Even though these were made to be spoofs, they cashed-in on the cliches.  I also like the "Scary Movie" series - total cliches.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Team America: World Police was basically a movie-length satire on action movie cliches.

It looked so dumb I didn't even read the reviews.  I may have to now!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cheeze Movies that show the bullets flying through the air with casing and all..

it gets even better when the bad or good guy starts shooting and instead of empty brass..... full on cartridges fall on the floor. like they couldn't afford empty brass they had to get loaded ammo.

or how bout the guy who always says something to the effect of  "this was the best day ever" and suddenly he dies in a particularly gory fashion. and you can always tell when its gonna happen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looked so dumb I didn't even read the reviews.  I may have to now!  i28.photobucket.com/albums/c222/danpass/Popcornanddrinksmilie.gif

You forgot Loaded Weapon 1 with Emilio Estevez and Samuel L. Jackson.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]

How about the bumbling idiot who goes downstairs to investigate a noise ----   EMPTY HANDED !

Ever notice that everyone who pours themseves a cup of coffee , always drinks it black ?

You can THROW a knife at someone and when it sticks them in the abdomen , they drop dead on the spot .  This also works for a knife jab ANYWHERE in the back .
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#22]
You can shoot a computer in the monitor or anywhere in the box and the data is surely destroyed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Southern accents.  Really, come on now.  Why is it that anybody with a "southern" accent is either an idiot or guilty??!!!

Another pet peeve of mine is when sheet rock, 1/2" wood, car doors, or other similar barriers stop a bullet!  Ever notice that the bad guys always shoot at the door, but the cops stand to the side of the door? Sheesshhh... what a joke... a .380 will punch a hole in sheet rock without a problem... a 9mm with tear through most door panels, and an average deer rifle will stop most any bad guy hiding behind a couch, table or door.

Oh, forgot to add... the shot in the weak-side scene. Some cop, or maybe a badguy, gets shot in the left arm/shoulder, and walks around like some kind of superman, then pops off the rounds with the strong-side killing the bad guys (or cops, depending on the film). Come on!!!  How many fire fights have these screenwriters ever been involved in??  CAN YOU SAY - - ZERO!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:06:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
1.  In courtroom scenes the judge is always black, a woman, or both.  It's so reliable it's actually funny to see when this cliche happens.

Or in military moveie the General and/or the Tough Sergeant will be black
I call this the Black Guy In Charge Syndrome

2.  Bar scene?  A fight will break out.  In movies, it is nearly impossible to set foot in a bar without a fight breaking out.

You would think the bar owners would be wise to that

3.  Carrying a sack of groceries?  In movies, there will always be a loaf of french bread sticking out of the bag.  Who the hell buys french bread?

Thats so you know there are groceries in the bags and not car parts, consumer electronics, etc....you, not being a big Hollywood liberal are very stupid you see.

4.  When you think the bad guy's finally dead at the end of the movie and the hero thinks he/she can relax, the "dead" bad guy was just faking and comes back for one last lunge before finally dying for real.

Because the writers nowadays are crap and are phoning it in.

5.  Countdown timers!   Got to love the countdown timers, always defuse them at the last possible second.

I would set the bomb to go off at -9 seconds

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#25]
1)1,000 shots fired and no one was hit
2)anytime anyone is shot they always grab their stomach
3)no one uses sights
4)34 yes 34 shots from a revolver before a reload (any western shootout)
5)racking of the slide in inappropriate times
6)shooting any combustable material and making it combust (gas can, oil barrel,)
7)dropping mags and leaving them behind on the ground (yeah like anyone did that during the AWB)
8)removing a mag from a dead guys gun looking at it like you know how many rounds are left and taking it.
9)everyone has access to FA in new york and Los Angeles
10) the worst in movie history the slide is removed one handed by the person the gun is pointed at.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
10) the worst in movie history the slide is removed one handed by the person the gun is pointed at.

Oh, you watched REMO too?? [ROTF]

Another annoyance is the ever present bad "gun carry" pose - you know it... some cop, detective, whatever, walks around with the pistol in that GOD AWFUL POSE. Like they're gonna have a poster made from that look.

OHHHH, WAIT!!!  They already have that poster - it's sitting right outside of the theater!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the worst is anything with Bruce Willis and his non recoiling handguns. Especially Last Man Standing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Always an open parking space directly in front wherever the hero/star is driving to.

555 phone numbers.

Double action revolvers with cylinders that make a ratchety sound when swung open and spun. (Already mentioned in the Movie Gun Mistakes thread.)
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#29]
MONOLOGUING.

If I have the guy I've been hunting down cornered in a room, am I going to start explaining why I put my evil plan into action?  No.  I'm going to blow his fucking head off, and then go have a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Any non-DA autopistol going 'CLICK...CLICK...CLICK' when empty and without the slide locked back.  For some reason this really irks me when it's done with a Glock!

+1!

You know the sumbitch don't "click", but the damn guy just "clicking" away on it like no tomorrow!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Every bomb/explosive has a Napalm effect.
Oh... and We should be able to shoot any horror movie writer who puts in that STUPID CAT SEEN!
You know... MREEEOOWWWW!!!   Its only been done 14 trillion times!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#32]
You can shoot people without any ramifications.
Just put your gun away and continue on with your business .

Especially cops and good guys  . No paperwork , no questions .
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#33]
The three most prevalent IMO are:

1. People racking the slides of firearms when they think they are getting "close." Duh, why not just rack it early on??? The funniest is when a BG is holding a pistol to the head of somebody during an interrogation. When the good guy won't answer, the BG "racks the slide." OMG that is soooo stupid.

2. Minority/female judges. Sometimes I really wonder if 90% of all judges are either black or female, or both. Lame-O.

3. Black "tough guy" sergeants. When was the last time we saw a lean, mean white sergeant? Platoon? That was 1986, fellas. We're talking a few days shy of 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:11:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Computers which never crash, boot up in seconds, and have incredible download and access times.

Cellular phones that work underground. On Pluto. After WWIII.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#35]
How about checking the cylinder on the ole revolver to make sure there's ammo?

You know the drill, the releases the cylinder, spins it then slams it back into place. Yeah, right... everybody I know treats their revolvers like that.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#36]
I think some of these have to be imagined or exagerated. Some of the things listed here (not all of them)  make no sense and it seems to be a general "feel" of cliches rather than actual cliches, or something that may have happened in ONE film (one time doesn't make it a cliche guys).

The biggest thing I have noticed that hasn't been mentioned, is that in many movies, people wearing body armor have no adverse effects  when they are shot or even repeatedly shot. Mr. & Mrs. Smith really really took this too the extreme. The main characters were both shot dozens of times from rifles and subguns, wearing the same vests. But you see it in other movies too. Scream 3 comes to mind, where the bad guy is shot a dozen times from 5 feet away and he just shrugs off each hit like he’s literally invincible.

I don’t think anybody has mentioned people getting shot and flying back 10-20 feet. Resident Evil was horrible about this. The Quick & the Dead had Gene Hackman doing a freaking back flip and flying backwards after getting shot in the EYE! Eraser had people flying into the air like they got hooked on an airplane flying overhead (yeah, I know they were supposed to be rail guns). Those are some damn powerful guns! Angelina Jolie must have used one of these to shoot that BMW's fender in the chase scene in Mr. & Mrs. Smith. She shoots the fender and the entire damn wheel pops off the car!

Quoted:
3. Black "tough guy" sergeants. When was the last time we saw a lean, mean white sergeant? Platoon? That was 1986, fellas. We're talking a few days shy of 20 years ago.

The tough black guy Sgt. in Aliens was a former Green Beret though and a real tough guy! He even talks behind the scenes about safe gun handling techniques!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
How about checking the cylinder on the ole revolver to make sure there's ammo?

You know the drill, the releases the cylinder, spins it, making a ratchety spinning sound, then slams it back into place. Yeah, right... everybody I know treats their revolvers like that.

Fixed it.

As for body armor cliches, every time someone takes a hit wearing it they tear open their shirt and remove the vest, obviously believing they won't be getting shot at again.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
How about when the cornered bad guy empties his clip at the good guy and is out of ammo?  And then what does he do? . . . . . . . .

Throws the empty pistol at the good guy and the good guy violently jumps out the way like the gun was dipped in acid.

The old Superman TV series was famous for this.  The bad guy would shoot at Superman, and he just stood there with a little smile and his hands on his hips.  But the second that gun got thrown at him, George Reeves (Superman) flinched and tried to avoid it.   What was the bad guy thinking?  As if the thrown gun was gonna do anything if the bullets bounced off...
... except bruise poor George, who probably didn't want to get hit in the chest with another thrown gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Zombies are everywhere, they have been outside for quite some time now, you are barricaded safely in a house, mall, underground nuclear bunker, and for some damn reason...you just HAVE to go the hell OUTSIDE!

I mean, stay inside, get drunk, and snipe the fekkers from a safe distance.  Sheesh!
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#40]
How about in the old Westerns when someone shoots the bad guy off the roof of the Saloon or General Store with a shot from the hip
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:05:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Or when the Size 0 or Size 1 female manages to kill a whole squad of SWAT or Spec Ops types and she only has a couple of pistols.

But Dark Angel went even further. The Size 0 or Size 1 female in that show wiped out a squad each episode...and she was UNARMED...

I mean, these Ninja/JBT guys are armed to the teeth and equipped with body armor and night vision...perhaps their training officer should get a bad job review...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#43]
"Head them off at the pass!"

"I hate that cliché."
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#44]
People shooting... without hearing protection and never flinching... and never having any hearing loss.

BTW great thread...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

My sister has tripped on her own shadow. More than once, I've seen her do it. In tennis shoes, in fact I don't think she even owns anything that could remotely be called high heeled. Klutziest damned person I've ever known.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:56:27 AM EDT
[#46]
How about the amazing abilities of hackers to jump on a windows PC and break into any system in a matter of a minute or less.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sister has tripped on her own shadow. More than once, I've seen her do it. In tennis shoes, in fact I don't think she even owns anything that could remotely be called high heeled. Klutziest damned person I've ever known.

So...you're saying...She's a hollywood star????

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your breasts put you at a natural disadvantage.

Ahhh...it has been my experience that a woman's breasts put ME at a natural disadvantage!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Old west shoot outs that always shoot from the hip.
High Lvl Military Guys always get killed in Alien Movies.  i mean who would want to be a Sgt or about?
Never ending ammunition.
Shows that have a Side stack magazine, but never use it
Snap together Sniper Rifles
The lowly Good Cop/Agent is always best friends and reports directly to the Top guy at the Agency.  No real chain of command
Military Generals are always idiots
Everyone uses an Apple Computer lol
Video and Audio Conferencing done on Dial up.
Everyone is out to get you themes
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:25:03 PM EDT
[#50]
All the goddamn beeping and flashing lights on computer displays.

I make computer derived maps (GIS-Geographic Information Systems) for a living, so I was interested when this movie about a super forest fire showed them using a program to model the wildfire (which we can do in real life)...needless to say, there was plenty of beeping and flashing lights, which I have yet to see out of any commercial mapping program...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top