Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2017 4:23:57 AM EDT
I'm going to be getting rid of cable for good at the end of month and I'm looking into streaming TV options like Firestick, Playstation VUE, Roku etc. I pretty much only watch basic cable anyway and $30 to $40 bucks a month sounds great to me. U-verse is around $150+ for about the same set of channels. The AT&T DSL speed is not that great either.

I don't know anything about these devices. Do they just stream television/basic cable stations? Or can I pause and record also?

No built in DVR? Does any of these boxes have a built in DVR?

Can I watch more than one station at a time on different TVs? How do I set up different TVs?

Can I add a DVR that can record several programs at once? and can the DVR be accessed from any of the other TVs? Through WiFi?

Thanks for any tips or help.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Nvidia shield 16 gig with a 100$ 1tb ssd drive from amazon is the best. Only get the ssd drive of you have a extensive blueray collection and wish to rip them tl the harddrive to have them avalible 24/7.
Shield blows all other streaming devices away, there is no comparison.
Use kodi and steamhub, domnot pay for anything like hulu or prime, etc.
Get a quality HD antenna and use the home run box to send media to multiple tv's.
Homerin will allow you to dvr local channels, do not ever dvr media streamed via kodi and add on apps.
With that setup, you are truely free, other than paying for internet.

To fgure out what internet speed ya need, start with the cheapest deal, of younhave any, and i mean any buffering issues, move up to next speed level.
Repeat until you no longer buffer.

Comcast in my area offers a 99$ package with 200mb down and 25up. But it inclides 140yv channels, you dont want the tv channels as it requires their equipment and with it eqipment rental fee's

Call and demand just the internet for 75$ with no tv channels.

That package is best for me as i get zero buffering and zero lag when playing online games on my xbox one.
Movies instantly start and never buffer.

When using kodi and any streming service, never download the media, always stream it, legality issues come into play when you download as you are in possesion of "stored" media.
This info is all over youtube.

Of you have any issues with setting up kodi and or steamhub, watch "solomans" videos on youtube, he is by far the best when it comes to streaming devices.
With a little time teaching yourself via youtube videos, you will have it all setup and runningnin under 30 mins.

I have boight and used every type of streaming device short of every different type of android box avalible and the above setup is by far the best.
Imalso went from needing three remotes down tomjust the shield remote, it even controls volume, turns on and off any cec device on the hdmi network.
There is even a app on xbox one called pro or movie 2048 that operates like steam hub.
This will allow younto plug in a proper hdmi based hd antenna and use the built in tv guide on the xbox one.
However the new xbox ship at end of this year, somtake that into consideration. When it ships it will be the most powerful gaming/streaming devices ever and hold that title for many many years.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what we did, got a Amazon Prime account, and then FireTV box, added Netflix and then got a DirecTV now account. I then loaded AE, History Channel, SyFy, AMC, etc and connected them via my DirecTV now account and found that all those apps have the shows in a DVR like environment. You can watch all those shows at your leisure.

Pretty much everything I would have had on DirecTV satellite, except I pay $99 a year to Amazon, $12 a month to Netflix and $30 a month to DirecTV Now.

Used to pay $200+ for everything, we dropped a shit load of extra packages at DirecTV and got it down to $120 but now we coast along at maybe $50 or so a month. We had Internet already and had one of the higher speeds 200 m a month and it works great.

You can also load NRA, Pursuit, Pluto and some other apps and get free shows there as well.

All of this is legal channels that aren't pirating anything like Kodi was doing or the new guy out there Terrarium (which is pretty nice but has ads. They feed a lot from Google Video/Drive)

Sitting right now watching the first season of Parking Wars and Shipping Wars on A&E app.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in a similar place, my bill went up $18 last month and they cut over half of my channels.

I called and had it disconnected. Currently looking at options.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
ezdaar post contains all the info you need. I too used soloman's videos and a fire stick and we are good to go now. Movies, live TV. I also pay for netfilx although I probably don't need too.

Take an hour and watch a few of soloman's videos and you will have a great idea where to start.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
You will need multiple boxes to watch in different rooms. I think Netflix limits the number of devices that are but should be enough to cover a household.

We honestly haven't had to change our viewing habits.

You really should look into direcTV Now, basic channels for 30 a month is a pretty good deal.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a cable modem and the basic service is "free"..
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 7:32:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a cable modem and the basic service is "free"..
View Quote
We used to be able to do that maybe 5 years ago but all of the cable providers out here got smart and greedy and digitized their signals so that you need a box for each TV just to watch basic channels. This is the main reason I'm leaving cable TV altogether and going with a streaming "smorgasbord" type service. $30 to $40 bucks a month for the same thing that ATT or Spectrum gives you for $150-$160 a month. No more renting the equipment or service fees too.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm going to be getting one of these systems this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 4:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
A slight update, I went down to Best Buy today to check out the streaming TV players and hardware. They have pretty much all of them including the Nvidia Shield and Pro. The internet provider I'm going to use, Spectrum, may have their own internet streaming service. The only bad thing is that it might only work with the Roku players. But it's cheap, like $20-25 a month plus the internet fee for their basic cable channels. I'm going to call them tomorrow or Monday to find out for sure.

I currently don't have any 4k TVs and don't really play TV video games so I probably won't need the Shield and could get away with just one Roku premiere and a couple Roku express/steaming sticks for the other TVs. This would solve my problem about getting the other TV's working together without having to add to yet another system like the HD homerun etc.

The last thing that I have to figure out is the DVR. I'll have to check with Spectrum to see if they recommend a DVR system to go with their internet streaming service. Maybe the Tablo + USB drive.

I already have almost all my TV rooms set up with cat 5e cables so everything can be hard wired to my network.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 5:18:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Cannot instal kodi on a roku.

With roku, you will still be paying for services like, hulu, netflix, prime.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I just became a dealer for Dragon Box. I've had mine a week now and am so impressed I became a dealer. I can stream all kinds of movies new and old for free,sports, live tv, mma, boxing etc...

Its better than a firestick/roku. It has ethernet, a real remote, supports 4k, live tv, hd sports, payperview and you dont have to jailbrake, comes with warranty and support.

PM me if you want more info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#11]
It looks like we aren't the only TV viewers that hate forced crap bundling and high cable bills.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/cord-cutting-2017-estimates-cancel-cable-satellite-tv-1202556594/#comment-list-wrapper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top