Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2017 4:32:43 PM EDT
Yamaha RX-V671 https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v671/index.html

It's an older receiver, but it's the one I have on my LAN to distribute audio throughout my house.

I'd like to be able to stream Amazon "unlimited music" (downloaded or live streamed) through the receiver and be able to control it using my Android phone or tablet, ideally using the Yamaha A/V receiver app.

The receiver has additional inputs open and also supports NAS and Windows Media Player.

Hoping someone has already figured out a way to do this or can help me get on the right track, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yamaha RX-V671 https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v671/index.html

It's an older receiver, but it's the one I have on my LAN to distribute audio throughout my house.

I'd like to be able to stream Amazon "unlimited music" (downloaded or live streamed) through the receiver and be able to control it using my Android phone or tablet, ideally using the Yamaha A/V receiver app.

The receiver has additional inputs open and also supports NAS and Windows Media Player.

Hoping someone has already figured out a way to do this or can help me get on the right track, thanks.
View Quote

Chromecast audio?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Chromecast audio?
View Quote
 The Amazon Prime Music app doesn't support casting via Chromecast.  Thanks for the idea though, I'm going to look at the Amazon firestick type of casting devices.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Roku says they support it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a browser to connect to the streaming site (Amazon, iTunes, YouTube or whatever).  The Browser will launch (Silverlight or Media Player or whatever) to decode and playback the music.

In Windows, set the audio device to be the HDMI Audio Output.

Connect the HDMI output of the tablet to an HDMI input on the receiver (HDMI Input #5, for example).

Set the receiver's input to the channel to which you connected the tablet (HDMI Input #5, for example).

Enjoy streaming music through your receiver and speakers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazon Echo Dot
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
firetv stick into an hdmi port on the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all of the suggestions 

I have a 7.1 speaker system in the room where the receiver is and the sub/speakers are wired to the amp zone 1.

The speaker distribution component which sends audio elsewhere throughout the house is wired to zone 2.  What I didn't realize is that the receiver won't allow me to choose an HDMI input for zone 2 

I guess I'll have to consider a way to use a component input or possibly the USB input, both are available for selection within zone 2.

Appreciate the ideas, further thoughts welcomed (other than buy a new receiver )
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks for all of the suggestions 

I have a 7.1 speaker system in the room where the receiver is and the sub/speakers are wired to the amp zone 1.

The speaker distribution component which sends audio elsewhere throughout the house is wired to zone 2.  What I didn't realize is that the receiver won't allow me to choose an HDMI input for zone 2 

I guess I'll have to consider a way to use a component input or possibly the USB input, both are available for selection within zone 2.

Appreciate the ideas, further thoughts welcomed (other than buy a new receiver )
View Quote
i'd look at something like the logitech bluetooth adapter. that way you can run it through your phone. downside to that is you need to keep your phone fairly close to the receiver for it to work.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Amazon Echo Dot
View Quote
This is the answer. The Echo Dot has a 3.5mm audio output. Get a 3.5 to 3.5mm cable and plug in to the audio input of the Yamaha. 

Tell the Echo Dot to play something.

Done.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I use my music server (ASUS Vivo Pc), to optical out into my preamp.

Cheap on ebay, and great for FLAC file storage with Jriver media center.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top