Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 9:57:10 PM EDT
Anyone know of one?
They've got to be out there, I can't be the only one who wants to put an HDMI switch in a closet and control it remotely. My Google/Bing skills are failing me though, I must be missing something. All the ones I find use IR remotes.
Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If you use a Logitech Harmony Hub, you can do this.

The Hub controls the HDMI switch.  The Hub receives commands by WiFi then blasts IR to the devices.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That's nice stuff, I'll check them out, thanks!

Quoted:
If you use a Logitech Harmony Hub, you can do this.

The Hub controls the HDMI switch.  The Hub receives commands by WiFi then blasts IR to the devices.  
Totally forgot about the Harmony. I've got an ancient one from way back in a box somewhere. I'll check the new ones out.

Also, it looks like HDBaseT can extend IR sensors. Might be another alternative...
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That's nice stuff, I'll check them out, thanks!

Totally forgot about the Harmony. I've got an ancient one from way back in a box somewhere. I'll check the new ones out.

Also, it looks like HDBaseT can extend IR sensors. Might be another alternative...
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • Works with Alexa to easily control your home entertainment devices with your voice
  • Simple setup on computer or mobile app for control of 8 home entertainment devices and unlimited home entertainment devices: Works with over 270,000 devices, including your TV, satellite or cable box, Blu-ray player, Apple TV, Roku, Sonos, game consoles and more
  • Create customized activities to control your home entertainment. For example, simply tap "Date Night" and Harmony can turn on your Sony Android TV, launch Netflix, dim your Philips Hue smart lights and turn on your Sonos connected speaker

Comes with one IR mini-blaster - can have two.  To use the Hub in a closed area (cabinet, closet, another room) you control it over WiFi using the Android or iOS app to control it (I use a 7" tablet) - or you can have it someplace 'visible' to one of the compatible IR Harmony remotes (get a bundle) and run the IR blaster into the closed area.

You can have your IR remote AV receiver, cable box, blu-ray player, Roku, HDMI switch etc (up to eight). in a closet (out of sight) and control them.

Cost with a refurbished Galaxy Tab A tablet as the 'remote' is under $200 (less than $90 if you use your phone).  Elegant, with out a lot of wires.

Or, you can go the 20th Century 'mess of wires' route for less than $50.  I assume this works with either a universal remote or the 'stack of remotes' approach.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00N3RFC4QComes with one IR mini-blaster - can have two.  To use the Hub in a closed area (cabinet, closet, another room) you control it over WiFi using the Android or iOS app to control it (I use a 7" tablet) - or you can have it someplace 'visible' to one of the compatible IR Harmony remotes (get a bundle) and run the IR blaster into the closed area.

You can have your IR remote AV receiver, cable box, blu-ray player, Roku, HDMI switch etc (up to eight). in a closet (out of sight) and control them.

Cost with a refurbished Galaxy Tab A tablet as the 'remote' is under $200 (less than $90 if you use your phone).  Elegant, with out a lot of wires.

Or, you can go the 20th Century 'mess of wires' route for less than $50.  I assume this works with either a universal remote or the 'stack of remotes' approach.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01C6U9228
View Quote
Amazing, can't believe how far behind I am on newer A/V tech.
Thanks fellas! Gonna figure this all out this weekend and get it setup.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
most boxes can be poe and logic contolled over ip
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
most boxes can be poe and logic contolled over ip
View Quote
I've got my house wired up with cat 5e and 6a, would be awesome to have everything connected...
As usual, Arf is costing my tons of money
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#9]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDBaseT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top