Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 65
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FP2000H:
I just watched Act of Valor tonight. It was okay. I realized that, although the action sequences were well choreographed and the cinematography was excellent, the fact that they used real Navy seals left something to be desired from a standpoint of character development. I just didn't really feel the emotional investment in certain scenes because, well, they're real military men and not actors. It's worth a watch. That's for sure.

My thoughts exactly, borrowed it from a co-worker to watch over the weekend , glad I didn't buy it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
just finished watching Faster, thought it was pretty decent. better than some of the other movies ive watched recently

Watched Battleship as well over the holiday week, and i thought it was pretty good.  with maybe a few gripes of sillyness. but entertaining for a movie based on a long ass to play game.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
watched quite a few recently:
The Collapsed - low budget TEOTWAWKI film - meh
The Artist - the most recent Best Picture Academy Award winner.  very well done, a good movie, worth a watch
Straw Dogs - the remake (I liked the original starring Dustin Hoffman).  Set in a small southern town, it was fair
Extremly Loud and Incredibly Close - Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock.  About a family w/ small boy, Father dies in the WTC on 9/11 and how the young son deals with the loss of his Dad.  a good drama, worth a watch
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 3:41:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to go see Prometheus and Savages the other day. Prometheus was decent and had an interesting plot. Now Savages was a kickass brutal violent movie. Pretty good all around flick and quite an interesting ending. Not one that I would have expected.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Act Of Valor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Spiderman I liked it better then the older ones my kids liked it too but not as much as the Avengers
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally watched Meet Joe Black, a DVD I had in my queue for years and years and assumed the movie was going to suck so always found an excuse not to watch it.  Wasn't too bad, but it was 3 hours long, watched it over 2 days.

Least I got it out of my system.

Have American Psycho on blu-ray in my queue too now for a couple years, will probably watch that next

Link Posted: 7/25/2012 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#9]
saw the Dark Knight, it was good, dunno about great but it was pretty solid. i rather enjoyed the james bond style beginning.

also was watching Ghostbusters for the 1000th time the other day. love that movie.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#10]
a few more recent movies I've seen:

Night Train - a psychological thriller, a mysterious object causes train passangers to kill each other to obtain it.  it was fair, set/scenery seemed like a play
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - a Brit rom com, dry Brit humor, starring Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt - both working for a Yemeni Prince to bring salmon fishing to the Yemen river.  I thought it was a good movie
Flippped - a Rob Riener directed rom com about two young teen neighbors and their relationship.  a very good family w/young teens movie.  it's set in the early 60's
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I watched the Firefly Series on Amazon Instant Video.  Once I finish the last episode, I'll rewatch Serenity, then go back to working my way through the seasons of Farscape.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Max Payne.   2 out of 5 stars
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Went to see Savages last night. It was good , but I did not find it that brutal or violent as was stated earlier.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 1:46:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Got The Raid Redemption in my Netflix que looking forward to watching it when it comes out on the 14th.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Last film was The Avengers, which was pretty good for the most part.

Last TV show was a DVD of the newest Dr. Who.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:18:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Raid story kinda sucks, but its a action flick and in that regard it does not falter.  i liked it

The new dr who is great, a little tough to get over how fast they switching out characters though.  most of them are pretty entertaining.

I just watched Game of Thrones tonight, just the first disc, thought it was pretty damn cool. only seen part of an episode before.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
last dvd I watched a couple of days ago:

The Great Escape - a classic WWII  POW film starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, and Richard Attenborough.
a great film, but very long (2h 50m), first time I've seen it from start to finish in one sitting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#19]
James May's "Man Lab", if you are a fan of Top Gear and / or get British humor it's very funny.  Full episodes are on YouTube.

Link Posted: 8/4/2012 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Just finished watching District 9 on iTunes. Well, I tried. Irresistible sleepiness overcame me about 20 minutes into the movie and I woke up to the credits. Shit. I own it now, though, so I can watch it any time I want.

I'm thinking I'll have to do John Carpenter's "The Thing" next. Classic, classic movie.

a little alcohol to go with that? Why yes! Yes, I will.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Any of you guys ever watched Rat Bastards on SPIKE about people who hunt swamp rats for a living if like Swamp People and Duck Dynasty then this is right up your alley another good show is Sasquatch on The Outdoor Channel about a legit mountain man Laramy Miller whose only weapons are a 54 caliber Hawkens and a homemade recurve bow better than Mountain Men on History.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#22]
watched:

Dr Strangelove - cold war comedy/spoof starring Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, and Slim Pickens  a classic!

Tower Heist - a comedy crime caper w/ Ben Stiller, and Eddie Murphy.  It was OK
Link Posted: 8/5/2012 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By HardShell:
I watched John Carter (not horrible IMO, but I can see why it didn't do well) and Red Tails (better than I expected it to be) in the background last night while working on some rifles. My wife and kids have been out of town this week, so I've been assembling/tinkering and burning off movies they aren't interested in watching with me.

Originally Posted By steenroller:
Got the entire series of "Sledgehammer" the police satire from the 80's on DVD and have been watching it lately...

Trust me... I know what I'm doing.

(The paper airplane in the pilot episode is still one of the funniest bits on TV to me.)

I watched Red Tails last night. I was really geeked to see the movie, but found myself very disappointed, especially with the glaring technical errors. Honestly, given the Tuskegee Airmen's record, I felt the unit deserved better. I think I'm largely done with Lucasfilm. Too many disappointments.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 3:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
latest I have watched:

Columbiana - decent revenge flick with lots of action
The Game of Thrones (season 1) - first disc, first two episodes.  I can see why this is such a popular HBO series; good storylines, and interesting characters.
It reminded me of the HBO series Rome, set in a medieval times setting
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#25]
watched:

The Three Stooges - meh, OK if you're a Stooges fan
Get the Gringo - Mel Gibson crime drama, takes place in a Mexican prison.  I liked it
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 2:02:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#26]
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:25:11 AM EDT
[#27]
My Way

This was actually a very good movie. It's subtitles but fairly easy to keep up. The action was great and pretty intense. Not a real cheesy low budget movie.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]
The Front Line on Netflix Streaming.  Korean War movie in Korean (subtitles required).  Good movie with great special effects and interesting plot twists
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
watched The Hunger Games
never read any of the books, hardly even heard of this before the movie madness a few months ago.

it was decent,
(not sure if I'll ever buy it, have to be a smokin' deal)

if you like this kind of movie, check out Battle Royale, a Japanese (Korean?) movie very similar except they use firearms too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Total Recall (remake 2012).

Decent flick. Didn't get great reviews, but it was worth the $4 for two tickets I paid and the $8 for popcorn and two drinks at my town's old cheap theater.

Wouldn't have spent full price on it though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Just watched "Superbad" the other day. I don't think I had watched that movie since it came out in 2007. I forgot how damn hilarious it was. I was at some parts.

Tonight, I'm going to check out "Observe and Report." I missed that one when it came out. It was in the Netflix queue so here we go.

I watch "Inception" on a regular basis. I think it is, perhaps, the greatest movie Christopher Nolan has made to date (with "The Prestige" and "Memento" running a close 2nd and 3rd) and absolutely love the score.

I predict Coen brothers' films this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#32]
watched the First 3 discs of season one of Game of Thrones, like it a lot so far
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Watched "Battle: Los Angeles" and liked it.  Marines fighting aliens with M16's - what's not to like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:34:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Miami Vice on Netflix watch now.

Imo, it's actually pretty good now that I am re-watching this as an adult.

Link Posted: 8/26/2012 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Wife and I watched A Thousand Words, and Tower Heist last night. Both were decent movies, probably won't watch them again though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 8:49:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I caught The Expendables II Saturday.

SUCKED!

out of

Chuck Norris appearance is the ONLY redeeming feature in the entire movie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Safety not Guaranteed.  Good low-budget indy movie.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#38]
John Carter of Mars
decent sci-fi, never read any of the books.
thought the heroine was a babe, then watched some of the behind the scenes featurettes,
and before makeup/costume she looks like a completely different woman
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#39]
watching "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension" right now....

a true classic
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw Obama's 2016 or whatever it's called on Sunday.

Also watched Premium Rush.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Movie: Constantine

Show: Big Bang Theory
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Watched The Wire through HBOGo.  Damn fine show.  Damn fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I discovered Breaking Bad last week and haven't been able to stop watching it.
I just started season 3.
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Breaking Bad is arguably the best show on TV.  

If you haven't seen it I would recommend it HIGHLY!
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Too big to fail.

Was interesting
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Flying Guillotine

Old Shaw Brothers kung fu.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:23:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HardShell] [#47]
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#48]
The Campaign: not bad, really laughed when Zach Galifianakis sat down with his family, said he was running for office and they needed to talk about any secrets they might have (and the stuff his 2 sons talked about).
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Blackthorn - Great Movie
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By whiskey:

Blackthorn
- Great Movie

Really liked that one.

This will sound stupid, but I just watched Titanic for the first time tonight with my bride (she had already seen it).  I really enjoyed it.  
Page / 65
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top