Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 6:11:20 AM EDT
In the Lord Of the Rings, Galadriel says: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

I know there is a Bible verse that is along similiar lines.

The parable of the mustard seed is close in that with such a small faith you can move a mountian.  But it is not what I am looking for.

I think the one I am looking for is like: do not think yourself to small to matter, you are a work of God and therefore no small thing will come of you.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I did a search for the words "little" and "small" and did not find anything close to your quote.

If you're looking for something that simply means "you matter to God" you might try:

"When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers,
The moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
What is man that Thou dost take thought of him?
And the son of man, that Thou dost care for him?
Yet Thou has made him a little lower than God,
And dost crown him with glory and majesty!"
-Psalm 8:3-7

If you're looking for a story that illustrates that one person can make a difference, David and Goliath comes to mind.

If you're looking for something to illustrate that the smallest task can be important, I'd go with -
"Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father." - Colossians 3:17

ETA: Scripture reference
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In the Lord Of the Rings, Gandalf says: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future."

I know there is a Bible verse that is along similiar lines.

The parable of the mustard seed is close in that with such a small faith you can move a mountian.  But it is not what I am looking for.

I think the one I am looking for is like: do not think yourself to small to matter, you are a work of God and therefore no small thing will come of you.

Thanks for any help.

I did a word search in the KJV for "small" and didn't come up with what  you were looking for. The closest thing I can think of is story of David, his selection as Saul's replacement and his battle with the giant Goliath (all found in 1 Samual). One verse in particular tells us not to look on the outward:

1 sam 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn there's some pithy saying about physical size in Proverbs, though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for looking.  It's somthing like this: do not think you are worthless, for you were made by God and he makes nothing worthless.

or similiar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Tried some more searches on create and God, worthless and God.  Nothing.

I think what you have is someone's comment on Genesis where it says we are created in His image.  I don't believe there is anything in Scripture that sounds like what you're saying.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe...

Matthew 10:29 Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin? Yet not one of them falls to the ground without your Father's knowledge. 30 Even all the hairs of your head are counted. 31 So do not be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Psalms 8, maybe. It speaks to the seeming insignificance of man  . . .

Psa 8: 3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Or James 3, perhaps, it talks about the influence of small things. Not the best example because the point is how easy it is for our teeny, tiny tongue to get us in trouble:

Jam 3: 2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
3 Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
4 Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6 And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7 For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.

If you're looking for a scripture that says it's OK to be a little, short dude, you probably won't find it. Why? Because our physical stature is so unimportant that it barely rates a mention in the scriptures.

You want to know something else? God doesn't have eyeballs. He may not even KNOW if we're short. He does know if we have "spirits" about being short, though. If we have thoughts of inadequacy because  we're short (or superior thoughts because we're tall) then that is sin and it separates us from God.

On the other hand, there was a story about a little runt of a guy name Zaccheaus but Jesus was able to pick him out of a crowd just the same . . .

Luk 19:1 ¶ And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.
2 And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
3 And he sought to see Jesus who he was; and could not for the press, because he was little of stature.
4 And he ran before, and climbed up into a sycomore tree to see him: for he was to pass that way.
5 And when Jesus came to the place, he looked up, and saw him, and said unto him, Zacchaeus, make haste, and come down; for to day I must abide at thy house.
6 And he made haste, and came down, and received him joyfully.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you're looking for a scripture that says it's OK to be a little, short dude, you probably won't find it. Why? Because our physical stature is so unimportant that it barely rates a mention in the scriptures.

Nope.  Not small in stature, small in the sence that one person in the grand scheme may seem small, but they can have a huge impact on many, becuase the Lord is with them.

Looking for an insperational verse for my Girlfriend.  She knows God is with her.  She knows God works through her with her students(1st grade teacher).  I see the Lord working through her so vastly.  I am trying to find a good verse of insperation for her.

I'm still looking.  Thanks for all your help guys.
It's always fun to go on a verse hunt.  It is increadable what the Lord will show you while looking for other things.

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Is good.  But not the one I am thinking about.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:10:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a question but can  you think of ANY accomplishment of man that DIDN'T  happen due to efforts of just a few -- often one -- individuals? Don't great things always have at their "genesis" an idea in one person's mind and the determination to carry it out?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:37:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Matthew 13:31
He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches."

Matthew 17:20
“... I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Luke 17:6
"… If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top