Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 7:58:58 AM EDT
As many as you can think of and what signifigances does it have to you?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Isaiah 60:20...

Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.

Sitting in church one morning, broken-hearted and deeply hurt and not sure what good sitting in church was going to do me. I opened my Bible (I had never read Isaiah) and it fell open to chapter 60, and my eyes went right to that verse.

It made my day.

Psalms 37:23-25

23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

Similar story to the one above, but more people involved, and I'd rather not share the details.

But don't ever tell me God isn't watching.

Isaiah 40:31

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

A reminder I need from time to time.

Jeremiah 20:9-11

9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.

10 For I heard the defaming of many, fear on every side. Report, say they, and we will report it. All my familiars watched for my halting, saying, Peradventure he will be enticed, and we shall prevail against him, and we shall take our revenge on him.

11 But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#2]
"I know whom I have beleived, and  am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have commited until that day."

Translation: GOd's got my spiritual six covered.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#3]
"...and it came to pass..."

'cause what if it stayed?

A friend of mine often said this.   Though she subsequently died from cancer, she kept her sense of humor.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok...not a verse...but something that has stuck with me spiritually:

As you lay your head in slumber,
do you think the Lord will say,
"You have earned one more tomorrow,
by the work you did today?"

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
"Let there be Light..."
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Nice quote, but unBiblical.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Please tell me you didn't get that from a church claiming to be 'Christian'......

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, I like it and er...see the part of my post in red

Quoted:

Please tell me you didn't get that from a church claiming to be 'Christian'......

It's this type of post ARowner that REALLY REALLY makes people believe you know very little about that which you preach: Christianity.
Very RUDE...very UNCALLED FOR...very UNCHRISTIAN of you.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#9]
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places"
Ephesians 6:12

"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he
that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in
righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a
flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had
a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was
clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is
called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven
followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white
and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that
with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them
with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the
fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his
vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND
LORD OF LORDS. And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and
he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly
in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together
unto the supper of the great God; That ye may eat the flesh
of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty
men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them,
and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and
great. And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and
their armies, gathered together to make war against him that
sat on the horse, and against his army. And the beast was
taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles
before him, with which he deceived them that had received
the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image.
These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with
brimstone. And the remnant were slain with the sword of him
that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his
mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh."
Revelation 19:11-21
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's this type of post ARowner that REALLY REALLY makes people believe you know very little about that which you preach: Christianity.

My point is there's alot of spiritual sentimentality that's just dead wrong.

arowner's point is there alot of churches out there preaching falsehoods.

Neither of us are directing that at you - we're directing it at those who claim to be Christian, but preach falsehoods to people like yoursewlf

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My point is there's alot of spiritual sentimentality that's just dead wrong.

arowner's point is there alot of churches out there preaching falsehoods.

Neither of us are directing that at you - we're directing it at those who claim to be Christian, but preach falsehoods to people like yoursewlf

My point, is WHY the hell do you feel the NEED to call someone's spirituality into question and GAUGE how Christian it is????

Do you not even SEE how UN CHRISTIAN that is???

You two are really something. Take something that means something to someone and just stomp all over it because it does not fit YOUR definition.
You should Be ashamed, both of you.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wake-up calls appear rude to those who don't want to be awakened.

That's all I'll say, because you can't handle the rest.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really are unbelievable. That's all I'll say in this forum out of respect for the forum AND the thread orinator, to whom I apologize if I've ruined the intent of this thread with something I've held near to my heart spiritually.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My point, is WHY the hell do you feel the NEED to call someone's spirituality into question and GAUGE how Christian it is????

Do you not even SEE how UN CHRISTIAN that is???

You two are really something. Take something that means something to someone and just stomp all over it because it does not fit YOUR definition.
You should Be ashamed, both of you.

If you think public disagreement with you is to call your spirituality into question, yer gonna need a Michael Jackson style bubble to live in.

My spirituality is questioned every day. And that is a GOOD thing.

People stomp all over my beleifs EVERY SINGLE DAY here. I don't care, because I get my beleifs from God's Word. In a sense, other peoplke disagreeing with you can only upset you if you have some latent doubts about your own beelifs.

As far as the degree of CHRISTianity we are demonstrating, I suggest you review CHRIST'S treatment of the Jewish religious leaders.

In a real sense, its UNChrsitian to allow false spirituality to go unchallenged. While you may not like it, we are merely following our Lord's example.

Its not intentionally offensive, but if it is offensive, we cannot do otherwise.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#15]
And I saw a grey horse, and the name of him who was seated on it was Death; and Hell came after him. And there was given to them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to put to destruction by the sword, and by taking away their food, and by death, and by the beasts of the earth.
Revelation 6:8
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
These verses stick out for me. I used to be flippant about my faith and considered that I could live as I wanted and God was just a  jolly old man who winked at my indescretions. Pretty much the popular modern god that most of christianity worships. A god after mans heart.

After I prayed that God reveal Himself to me to His glory, I truly have my eyes opened. He has sent some of the best peole my way who I believe were true and providentially sent by God. My theological endeavors led me on a most humbling journey. I do not regret it one bit and am completely satisfied that I now see God as the ALLMIGHTY and Sovereign. Not the weak god I used to believe in and had preached to.

Job 42:1-6
1 Then Job answered the LORD and said:
2 “I know that You can do everything,
     And that no purpose of Yours can be withheld from You.
3 You asked, ‘Who is this who hides counsel without knowledge?’
     Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand,
     Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.
4 Listen, please, and let me speak;
     You said, ‘I will question you, and you shall answer Me.’
5 “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear,
     But now my eye sees You.
6 Therefore I abhor myself,
     And repent in dust and ashes.”

Job 40:1-7

1 Moreover the LORD answered Job, and said:
2 “Shall the one who contends with the Almighty correct Him?
     He who rebukes God, let him answer it.”
3 Then Job answered the LORD and said:
4 “ Behold, I am vile;
     What shall I answer You?
     I lay my hand over my mouth.
5 Once I have spoken, but I will not answer;
     Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further.”
6 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said:
7 “Now prepare yourself like a man;
     I will question you, and you shall answer Me:

Isaiah 6:5
5 So I said:

“ Woe is me, for I am undone!
     Because I am a man of unclean lips,
     And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips;
     For my eyes have seen the King,
     The LORD of hosts.”
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really are unbelievable. That's all I'll say in this forum out of respect for the forum AND the thread orinator, to whom I apologize if I've ruined the intent of this thread with something I've held near to my heart spiritually.

I normally try to avoid getting in others affairs.

I think the initial reaction from AR was because it seemed like a reference to works based salvation which many feel is contrary to the Gospel and I agree there. I dont think he meant it as an attack on you personally. I saw it (the quote) as no more different than what most churches teach and I expect that from most. I am not saying I encourage such teachings. Works based salvation is very contrary to the gospel. The quote you like is not blatantly evil but to many it is quite unchristian. I say that because Jesus taught quite the opposite of works based salvation. Deserve has nothing to do with salvation but everything to do with damnation. Salvation is all of Grace, even our ability to choose is a gift. (well some will disagree).

Christains are to expose falsehoods that entrap fellow believers. To not do so is unchristian. For the one being rebuked it does not feel good and at times it depends on how it is presented.

I have nothing against you for your quote, but its my duty to warn you of the possible temptations of others may take it as a greenlight to works based salvatiion.

Peace.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#18]

VVVVVV
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Luke 12: 4-5
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:15-16 "that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Eph 2:8-9 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

John 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

1 John 5:11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

1 John 2:25 And this is the promise that He has promised us--eternal life.

Romans 6:22-23 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through Me."

What significance does this have for me?

Before I was blind, but now I see.
 Before I was lost, but now I'm found.
 Before I was dead, but now I live.

Christ did not come to make bad men good,
but to give dead men life.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Psalms

104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man.

104:15 And wine [that] maketh glad the heart of man, [and] oil to make [his] face to shine, and bread [which] strengtheneth man's heart.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:31:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I normally try to avoid getting in others affairs.

Wise man.

I think the initial reaction from AR was because it seemed like a reference to works based salvation which many feel is contrary to the Gospel and I agree there.

And that's fine that your opinion is different. But I don't feel it's necessary for any individual to mock another's beliefs.

I dont think he meant it as an attack on you personally. I saw it (the quote) as no more different than what most churches teach and I expect that from most. I am not saying I encourage such teachings. Works based salvation is very contrary to the gospel. The quote you like is not blatantly evil but to many it is quite unchristian.

Well...believe what you may. But I don't believe it's a Christian thing to walk around mocking people's spirituality all the while hiding behind the Bible.
No worries, Wildboar. This quote came from no church. It's part of a poem I received in a CALENDAR. Yep...Heathen I am, I need to know which pagan holiday is coming up

G-Man and ARowner and I have history...because we think VERY VERY differently spiritually, and that's ok...well, in my world it is...but these two feel the need to tell the world that THEIR interpretation of the bible and THEIR faith is the ONLY way to go and try to shove it down people's throats. Additionally, they mock and ridicule people whom they know jack about rather than seek to improve THEMSELVES. And from where I sit...there's room for improvement there. This forum was not set up to have folks bash each other...yet these two decided to ridicule my post and turn it ugly.
Funny thing is, these two have been chief of the crybabies in GD when it comes to, "Why does everyone pick on Christians?"
Maybe when "Christians" stop picking on other Christians, this place would be easier for the mods to babysit.

As far as favorite bible versus...well, I don't have a particular favorite. Although Luke 12:56-57 seems to capture alot of what I am feeling right now
...Hypocrites! You interpret the the sky well enough, but you refuse to notice the warnings all around you about the crisis ahead. Why do you refuse to see for yourselves what is right?...

I say that because Jesus taught quite the opposite of works based salvation. Deserve has nothing to do with salvation but everything to do with damnation. Salvation is all of Grace, even our ability to choose is a gift. (well some will disagree).

Christains are to expose falsehoods that entrap fellow believers. To not do so is unchristian. For the one being rebuked it does not feel good and at times it depends on how it is presented.

I have nothing against you for your quote, but its my duty to warn you of the possible temptations of others may take it as a greenlight to works based salvatiion.

And I feel it's my duty to warn others that being a crappy person while hiding behind a bible does not guarantee salvation either.

Peace.

Back atcha.

ETA...I am done hijacking this thread. I've posted my verse. If anyone has a problem with it, take it up with Luke.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Luke 12: 4-5

Good one.

Or in  modern parlance....

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Job 19:25-27
  As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
        And at the last He will take His stand on the earth.
  Even after my skin is destroyed,
        Yet from my flesh I shall see God;
  Whom I myself shall behold,
        And whom my eyes will see and not another.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Simple for me....

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Gospel of St. John 14:1-4.

Eric The(UntroubledHeart)Hun
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Revelation 22
22:1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life—water as clear as crystal—pouring out from the throne of God and of the Lamb,
22:2 flowing down the middle of the city’s main street. On each side of the river is the tree of life producing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month of the year. Its leaves are for the healing of the nations.
22:3 And there will no longer be any curse, and the throne of God and the Lamb will be in the city. His servants will worship him,
22:4 and they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.
22:5 Night will be no more, and they will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, because the Lord God will shine on them, and they will reign forever and ever.

Back to the way it was before Adam sinned.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top