Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
That's the great thing about the good old USA.  You can choose to believe any thing you like and worship any God you choose.
Bottom line is that NO ONE can PROVE their religion or particular "God" is the one and only and that all others are false.
It's all based on faith.

I believe the question was not weather Mormonism was good or evil, but if they were "Christians"

CHRISTIANITY:
God is Spirit. (John 4:24, 1Tim 6:15-16). He is not a man (Num 23:19), and He has always existed as God (Ps. 90:2, 93:2; Mal. 3:6).

MORMONISM:
God the Father was once a man like us who progressed to become a God and has a body of flesh and bone (Doctrine & Covenants 130:22).  God himself has a father, and that god has a father, etc.  (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 373; Mormon Doctrine, pg. 577).

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay, so the NT says: Believe in Christ, have faith in Him, be born again by baptism, follow his commandments.

I have done all of these things, am I, therefore, a Christian?

If you believe, from your heart, not intellectually, that Jesus died for you, accept him as your Lord - from your heart, not intellectually, and believe that for a fact God raised Him from the dead, you are a Christian.  Many folks accept these things at an intellectual level, but becoming a Christian requires these things to be done from your heart.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's the great thing about the good old USA.  You can choose to believe any thing you like and worship any God you choose.
Bottom line is that NO ONE can PROVE their religion or particular "God" is the one and only and that all others are false.
It's all based on faith.

You are Mormon Spectre, yes?  I believe worshipping a toilet is about as rational as worshiping false/unproven idols.  It is just funny to hear someone devout say it.  It all boils down to proof like you said, none exists.

ETA:  At least you know the toilet exists.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, so the NT says: Believe in Christ, have faith in Him, be born again by baptism, follow his commandments.

But your religion also preaches the teachings of Joseph Smith.  What does the New Testament say about that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

But your religion also preaches the teachings of Joseph Smith.  What does the New Testament say about that?

I am curious to hear this too?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

SPECTRE, I'm sorry bro..You can punch me in the arm at the next shoot.. I have to answer this...

You said: "Believe in Christ"
I ask: Who is your Christ? The brother of Lucifer? Adam?

You said: "Have faith in Him"
I ask: Which Him? The one who walked in America after His resurrection?

You said "Be born again by baptism"
I ask: How can you be at an age of accountability at the age of seven and be baptized? And how can one be born again if they are dead?

You said: "Follow His commandments"
I ask: Are you aware that there are more than 10 in the Bible and many more in the BOM, POGP and D&C, right?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Around here there are a lot of Mormons on welfare.  I have a friend who counsels Mormons on how to get off the government tit.  The biggest problem is the number of children they have and not being able to take care of them.  It's a sad reality of being a Mormon.

Funny, I don't have that experience, and your previous statements and their incuded bias lead me to believe that you are just lying about this.

I'm sure there are some which is why I said "You won't find many" but you trying to make it seem like being on welfare is just a part of being Mormon is a complete fucking lie.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:06:48 PM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
Around here there are a lot of Mormons on welfare. I have a friend who counsels Mormons on how to get off the government tit. The biggest problem is the number of children they have and not being able to take care of them. It's a sad reality of being a Mormon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny, I don't have that experience, and your previousl statemnts and their incuded bias lead me to believe that you are just lying about this.

I'm sure there are some which is why I said "You won't find many" but you trying to make it seem like being on welfare is just a part of being Mormon is a complete fucking lie.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts.  Mormons also have a much higher divorce rate and suicide rate than the national average.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Around here there are a lot of Mormons on welfare. I have a friend who counsels Mormons on how to get off the government tit. The biggest problem is the number of children they have and not being able to take care of them. It's a sad reality of being a Mormon.

Funny, I don't have that experience, and your previousl statemnts and their incuded bias lead me to believe that you are just lying about this.

I'm sorry if the truth hurts.  Mormons also have a much higher divorce rate and suicide rate than the national average.  

Again... you're making stuff up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Does this ever end? I had a 45 minute discussion on religion with a Muslim engineer in An Naseriyah, Iraq in '03. He wasn't familiar with the LDS Church when he asked me about it. He did however take me at my word when I  told him I was Christian. What part of this concept is so hard to understand?  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I like to watch the Mormons squirm.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I suggest people read The Godmakers.  It is just one book about Mormons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I have studied Mormonism and Catholocism to a GREAT degree and I have NO idea where you're getting your statistics from. I would say that Catholics far surpass Mormons in divorce and suicide. Repression and guilt are terrible things...

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Does this ever end? I had a 45 minute discussion on religion with a Muslim engineer in An Naseriyah, Iraq in '03. He wasn't familiar with the LDS Church when he asked me about it. He did however take me at my word when I  told him I was Christian. What part of this concept is so hard to understand?  

It would not be a spirited pissing contest then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#15]
By definition, a Christian is someone who follows Christ. Who the hell are you people to judge anyone (especially someone that you don't know) and tell them who they are or aren't?????
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Please provide ALL sources to qualify the above statements, exact text, websites, survey results, official educational, governmental sources that will substantiate all of your claims. inquiring minds want proof.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
By definition, a Christian is someone who follows Christ. Who the hell are you people to judge anyone (especially someone that you don't know) and tell them who they are or aren't?????

What do you call someone who follows Joseph Smith?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh and IBTL
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow...I would love to know your credible source on the divorce rate and suicide rate of Mormons. I am Mormon. I know of exactly 3 couples that have gone through a divorce in my church. I have known exactly ZERO people who commited suicide in the 15 years I remember going to the same church, with the same roughly 200 people in my ward.

Again, I would love to see your credible study. I would also like to see your stats on welfare of Mormons.  We strongly believe that being in debt is a sin. We will do anything to help each other out, right up to bringing dinner to a struggling family for months at a time. (Rotate it through the ward.)

Have a good day.

John
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What do you call someone who follows the Pope?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am curious to hear this too?  

The NT has the teachings of Paul, James, John right...God called these men to preach his gospel.  He has done it again in modern times.  Joseph was called to be a prophet like many men you have read about.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Isn't this a RELIGIOUS TOPIC?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

More like a failed attempt at Mormon bashing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On one hand I think they are all a bunch of retards who got duped by the founder of their ridiculous religion. Then I remember John Browning was Mormon and I end up giving most of them a pass.

ETA: Dum dum dum dum dum....
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sir, with all due respect, first and foremost, I want to thank you for your service to our country. I am glad you made it home..

Now, as far as your statement... In my studies, I know that the christ that the LDS follows is not the same Christ in the Bible. I can prove that with the BOM or (if you have a set) the Journal of Discourses in alignment with the Bible.

(Yes, it will be the KJV as well)

Edited for spelling and punctuation

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How is the belief of becoming Gods of other planets a Christian belief?  Latter day saints.  Get it???

Are you thinking of the Scientologists?    The cult created by L Ron Hubbard the hack Sci Fi writer?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Smart. If you follow the Redeemer, would you not also follow his apostles? Other prophets? Or did the Adam, Moses, Noah, Isiah, Daniel, John the Baptist, the twelve apostles, etc., etc. suddenly become irrelevant??
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I'm anti-Mormon because I believe they are not Christians???  Oh please.  I must be racist because I gave no money to N.O. residents after Katrina, huh?

Lots of close friends who are Mormons.  Just because you believe in Christ doesn't mean you are Christian!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I know many, many Mormon families in this area affected by suicide, suicide attempts, and divorce.  Much higher than non-Mormons.  I'll work on statistics for you tomorrow.  Mormons, however, keep great statistics on dead family members, but not good statistics on the issues mentioned above.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On one hand I think they are all a bunch of retards who got duped by the founder of their ridiculous religion. Then I remember John Browning was Mormon and I end up giving most of them a pass.

ETA: Dum dum dum dum dum....

Good logic.  When it comes to guns all mormons move to the friend/like minded list.  Most are better armed than me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Ahhhhhhhhh

Arfcom, where no matter how much you believe in Christ and follow his tenets there will be someone to say you're not Christian.

Bastards

I love yall anyway, even with that plank in your eye.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I know many, many Mormon families in this area affected by suicide, suicide attempts, and divorce.  Much higher than non-Mormons.  I'll work on statistics for you tomorrow.  Mormons, however, keep great statistics on dead family members, but not good statistics on the issues mentioned above.

thanks "mr. snopes"
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Sooooo glad I don't live in your town, sounds really depressing.  Please tell me what town you live in so ill never visit it.

So how long till this troll thread is locked?

ETA: any of you see "Sons of Provo"?  Funny!!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Bullshit: Post them tonight, prove your accusations and so called "statistics" by posting sources, that state verbatem all of your aligations, otherwise, you're simply spouting typical nonsensical bullshit. Prove your wild aligations with FACTUAL SOURCES or shut up, stop talking, zip it, button it.. Hence, flap your gums elsewhere...

ETA: Killed pesky typo
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:35:21 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No offense, but STFU.  It isn't a "troll thread".
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit: Post them tonight, prove your accusations and so called "statistics" by posting sources, that state verbatem all of your aligations, otherwise, you're simply spouting typical nonsensical bullshit. Prove your wild aligations with FACTUAL SOURCES or shut up, stop talking, zip it, button it.. Hence, flap your gums elsewhere...

ETA: Killed pesky typo

He is a Troll that all he knows.  Look at his post count, its a Troll account. Hell it could be one of us AZ guys that was banned?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sooooo glad I don't live in your town, sounds really depressing.  Please tell me what town you live in so ill never visit it.

Yes, sons of provo was funny. Of course, the musicians are an LDS version of the back street boys *chortle*. "Word of wizzum"..
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow, I will grant that with th eexception of MidhingSniper, this has been by far the most civil of LDS bashing threads I have seen.

I love people who state that LDS worship Joseph, when in fact they only revere him as a prphet, just as hinckley (sp?). Or perhaps as the Catholics revere Mary, and the Pope? (well maybe not the same as they revere Mary)

The ONLY problem I have with the LDS faith is that the current President of the church has stated that Mohammed was a prophet of our Heavenly Father, when I know that child raping bastard was an agent of Satan, and that the god he honours was not the God of mine from true Scripture.

This should really be moved to the Religion Forum.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense, but STFU.  It isn't a "troll thread".

OK

Then what is it?  

You really didn't think this would get a huge fight started on here?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Wow, I will grant that with th eexception of MidhingSniper, this has been by far the most civil of LDS bashing threads I have seen.

I love people who state that LDS worship Joseph, when in fact they only revere him as a prphet, just as hinckley (sp?). Or perhaps as the Catholics revere Mary, and the Pope? (well maybe not the same as they revere Mary)

The ONLY problem I have with the LDS faith is that the current President of the church has stated that Mohammed was a prophet of our Heavenly Father, when I know that child raping bastard was an agent of Satan, and that the god he honours was not the God of mine from true Scripture.

This should really be moved to the Religion Forum.

Tac,

The only problem with moving it to the Religion Forum is that it was pretty much kill the thread as it does not see nearly the traffic as GD does.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:40:38 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

C'mon man..Get in the fight! Prove him wrong! Call his BS! Don't just snipe with a troll character!

BTW, don't tell SPECTRE I was here...

Oh, amd how's the baby? Cute little girl you have there... She's lucky to have good parents like you and your wife... (Lucky to have a pink AR too!)
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:41:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I suggest people read The Godmakers.  It is just one book about Mormons.

Okay, now I have to get involved. I lived in Tacoma, WA and met Ed Decker, the guy who made Godmakers.He took some serious liberties with this, and even admits it's been exagerrated for entertainment purposes. You really shouldn't take it as truth.
It's kind of like watching Al-Jazeera for half an hour, and then claiming to be informed on US foreign policy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Then what is it?  

Well, genius, if you really think it is a "troll thread", what kind of idiot are you to post in it?

I was looking for discourse on the subject.  I have gotten what I came looking for.  If the discussion and disagreements bother you so much, then see your way out of the thread - problem solved.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C'mon man..Get in the fight! Prove him wrong! Call his BS! Don't just snipe with a troll character!

BTW, don't tell SPECTRE I was here...

Oh, amd how's the baby? Cute little girl you have there... She's lucky to have good parents like you and your wife... (Lucky to have a pink AR too!)

Thanks for the complement.   Baby is doing awesome.  Cant wait till I can take her shooting.  Ordered a .223 can through Prebans for that AR, Can will be pink as well.

IM me the stuff about Christ in the BOM is different than KJV. BOM references tho, don't have the other books.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then what is it?  

Well, genius, if you really think it is a "troll thread", what kind of idiot are you to post in it?

I was looking for discourse on the subject.  I have gotten what I came looking for.  If the discussion and disagreements bother you so much, then see your way out of the thread - problem solved.

<sigh>
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:53:20 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks for the complement.   Baby is doing awesome.  Cant wait till I can take her shooting.  Ordered a .223 can through Prebans for that AR, Can will be pink as well.

IM me the stuff about Christ in the BOM is different than KJV. BOM references tho, don't have the other books.

Thanks

Bro, I have a LOT of information and I really don't want to lose a friend by sending this stuff to you. If you are really interested, we can sit down with a coke, ummm pepsi, ummm, iced tea, ummm, water and discuss it as gentlemen. Have you ever heard of an organization called Concerned Christians in Mesa? I helped start it back in the early 90's. Have you heard of Sandra Tanner? Bill McKiever? I studied their literature. I have MUCHO stuff...

But, like I said, I consider you and SPECTRE my LDS friends...  Your call
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Tac,

The only problem with moving it to the Religion Forum is that it was pretty much kill the thread as it does not see nearly the traffic as GD does.

Well, I can understand that, except that asking questions about the LDS members on this board in GD is much like asking DU regarding which party has the best support of 2nd amendment rights....

Or asking the AK47 guys which is better, AKs or ARs
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Sigh
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top