User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I simply don't see how it establishes validity for anything other than the existence of said pool.

Archaeological digs could "validate" Clancy novels 2000 years from, no?

Absolutely.

Assume we had NO IDEA what a Clancy novel was. Maybe fact, maybe fiction, we don't know.

With one element of the "novel" validated, we would begin looking for other elements to validate them.

Any single element validated establishes a level of credibility of the "novel."

UNTIL we reach an invalid element. Then we come to know (or at least be pretty sure)  its fiction.

The discovery of the Hittite culture (referenced above) and the discovery of the pool of Siloam are HARD facts validated today to be just as the Bible said they were.

Since its impossible to validate the existence of God, the validation of hard facts, such as the pool of Siloam allows us to continue investigating other things the Bible says.

Its the simple concept of credibility.

Finding the pool of Siloam, just as the Bible described it, means the Bible is credible in THAT ONE AREA alone. But the sincere truth seeker must say "OK, is the Bible then also credible eslewhere?"

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
OK, let me be clear on one thing.  I'm in here for discussion and to learn.  I'm not here to be converted.  So you can lay off on the preachy stuff, ok?  Thanks.

I sincerely did not mean to give offense. My intent was simply to lay out an illustration of a concept.

Your "conversion" is not my goal, and FAR from being in my area of capability.

I had assumed by being in this forum, you were open to the discussions of religious matters.

But again, I sincerely had no idea what I said would cause any offense.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The way I see things, they found a pool.  Great.  It doesn't prove anything other than that particular pool existed.  It says nothing about the rest of the bible, wether its valid or not.

I said as much. The finding of the pool of Siloam ONLY proves the existence of the pool of Siloam.

Think of it as a treasure map someone handed you. The initial response might be "Yeah, right, buried treasure - gave up on THAT idea back in 4th grade."

Then let's say someone sent you info that validated one particular element of the treasure map.

Yer interest might be peaked, but not much else.

Then another element was validated, and another.

The only question then is "How many elements would you need to be validated before you went searching for yourself?"

The Bible is that treasure map. And the validation of the pool of Siloam is but one piece of evidence you SHOULD consider as part of a larger puzzle that might one day cause you to investigate the "treasure map" for yourself.

OK, let me be clear on one thing.  I'm in here for discussion and to learn.  I'm not here to be converted.  So you can lay off on the preachy stuff, ok?  Thanks.

Just so you know, "preachy stuff" is perfectly fine in this forum. In fact, it's allowed to the point that telling other members not to do it, is not acceptable.

If someone wants to preach in here through their discussions, you have two choices. Either ignore the discussions, or take part in them. You have been taking part in a polite and civil way so far. I hope you choose to keep doing so, but you will still have to put up with the "preachy stuff".

On a side note: I don't think the quoted post by GM was "preachy". I thought he shared a clear and concise POV on this discussion.

There's a difference between conversation, and trying to tell someone how to believe.  I don't mind explanations of why people believe what they do (thats why I'm here).  I don't like the "you SHOULD".

When you start telling people what they need to do, you cross the line from conversation to preaching.

If my dislike of being told what I "SHOULD" be doing makes me unwelcome here, please let me know and I'll dissappear.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sincerely did not mean to give offense. My intent was simply to lay out an illustration of a concept.

Your "conversion" is not my goal, and FAR from being in my area of capability.

I had assumed by being in this forum, you were open to the discussions of religious matters.  Discussion, yes.  Being told what I "SHOULD" do, no.

But again, I sincerely had no idea what I said would cause any offense.

Garandman, I respect your opinions, I just don't like being told what I should or should not belive.  I actually really liked your response until you added in the bit about how I should accept the bible as the "treasure map", etc.  I prefer to make up my own mind about things, and there is no quicker way to undercut a very good argument than by telling me that I should accept something as far as beliefs.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
They found it in an area were the ****Edited****<va-gunnut>.  its in a a beautiful area, but not one that I would ever go to.  
This comment isnt meant to insult, just explain that it's location is the jerusalem equivalent of the west side highway.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Garandman, I respect your opinions, I just don't like being told what I should or should not belive.  I actually really liked your response until you added in the bit about how I should accept the bible as the "treasure map", etc.  I prefer to make up my own mind about things, and there is no quicker way to undercut a very good argument than by telling me that I should accept something as far as beliefs.

By "should" I simply meant "it would be resonable that you would."

As I do NOT consider you an unreasonable person, I didn't view "should" as me having the right or standing to tell you what to do.

Just that a reasonable person, having seen the credibility of the "treasure map" would innately want to find the treasure.

My apologies for the unintentional offense.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top