Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I think The Chosen is beautifully done.

It's more of a 'spirit of the Gospel message' than an exact portrayal of scriptural scenes, and I'm comfortable with how they've done it.

I rewatched the episode where Matthew and Simon Peter search for Mary, and appreciated the truth of how we continue to stumble even after we accept Christ as our Savior.  Repentence is a life-long process of striving to follow Christ's example, embracing His matchless grace as he lovingly picks us back up as we repeatedly stumble along the way.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shane333:
I think The Chosen is beautifully done.

It's more of a 'spirit of the Gospel message' than an exact portrayal of scriptural scenes, and I'm comfortable with how they've done it.

I rewatched the episode where Matthew and Simon Peter search for Mary, and appreciated the truth of how we continue to stumble even after we accept Christ as our Savior.  Repentence is a life-long process of striving to follow Christ's example, embracing His matchless grace as he lovingly picks us back up as we repeatedly stumble along the way.
View Quote

Agreed. It’s not always scripturally sound, but the creators have never touted the show as a replacement for Scripture, and encourage those who are watching the show to read it for themselves. As Jesus said, you will know people by their fruits, and so far the show has done a great job of getting people to watch, reconnect with Christ, and open their Bibles again. I can’t see that as a bad thing.

And yeah, seeing that episode and recognizing how we continually stumble but respond by putting our trust in Him was wonderful. We are called to run the race with endurance, and picking ourselves back up after we fall and growing in our relationship with Christ is part of that race.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like there’s a Christmas special coming to theaters in December!
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By leib109:
Looks like there's a Christmas special coming to theaters in December!
View Quote

There sure is!

I watched the night Dallas made the announcement.  It looks like it's going to have music, like last year's Christmas special as well as a full-length episode about the Nativity (that builds on Dallas's original short video with the shepherds.

Already have tickets.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Nearest theatre to me, 65 miles away,  is only playing it on Wednesday. The one night l can't take off. Thursday would be doable but Friday or Saturday would be great.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
Nearest theatre to me, 65 miles away,  is only playing it on Wednesday. The one night l can't take off. Thursday would be doable but Friday or Saturday would be great.  
View Quote

Keep checking. They've since added and are adding more choices. Calling your theater and asking for more showings is encouraged.

They still don't work for me though, so I'll probably have to wait for it to come on the app.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I would keep checking. They've added more showings.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:45:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckeye67] [#8]

Just a quick AAR on the Christmas special.

We had a group of 10, including family and friends, including one other couple from our church.

The theater was essentially full. There was an odd seat here or there that was empty, but those were just a few.

Everyone enjoyed the show. The music was great. If I have one complaint, there were several songs that weren't really "Christmasy". But, as I said, the music was great. My wife and I were again amazed at the talent of the Bonner Family.

The Nativity episode was really well done.  It built on the story told in 'The Shepherd' telling the story from Mary and Joseph's perspective.  I thought they'd edit in scenes from The Shepherd, but this was an entirely new story.  As you would expect from The Chosen, it was very poignant and moving.

If you didn't get to see it at the theater, definitely check it out when it comes to TV.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2021/12/05/box-office-weekend-christmas-with-the-chosen-paul-verhoeven-benedetta-wolf-flee/?sh=180347993fc5

Link Posted: 12/7/2021 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with my wife, mom, and grandmother last night. Theater was about 2/3 full, but they have a ton of showings. It was really nice and I loved seeing Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene's interaction. The scenes between Mary and Joseph were great too. I loved the monologues from some of the actors in the main series; they were really moving. The music was pretty cool, but I think a couple songs could've been left out.

I'm happy to see that The Messengers is doing well. We need more entertainment like this instead of the divisive identity-politics stuff we normally get.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 1:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
They were talking up the music and musicians for this film on FB, some of it is non-traditional, but still worshipful, so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 9:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#11]
Thanks for the encouragement. Going Thursday to see it here in Idaho….CDA area.

AAR.
An hour of amazing worship music and a new episode of The Chosen. We meet Luke…
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like it's coming to the app this sunday night!
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems that due to increased demand, they are keeping it in theaters for another couple weeks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MRW:
Joseph with dreds is a new one
View Quote

So sayeth GD

without going to google, I think its the same Mary and Joseph from the last years Christmas special, from the Shepherds.

AND , I really like the series
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#16]
The actress who plays young Mary is the same one.I recall being discussed on The Chosen FB page.
Not sure about Joseph though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:43:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: leib109] [#17]
Originally Posted By rcav8r:
The actress who plays young Mary is the same one.I recall being discussed on The Chosen FB page.
Not sure about Joseph though.
View Quote

The actor is the same one from The Shepherd. I don’t see what the big deal is… we don’t know what color Joseph was. It’s not like it would be if they got a black actor to play George Washington or something…
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Joseph is a descendant of David.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, Dreds are artistic license.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Apparently there is a Season 3 update on a stream coming tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#20]
According to the stream, Season 3’s shooting will begin in April, and the season will start airing in fall.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks, I didn't get to watch the stream.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ebrokie:
Thanks, I didn't get to watch the stream.
View Quote

No problem. Another important point from the stream is that they are building a large filming facility for future seasons, which will significantly reduce the production time and cost of future seasons because the need to transport the entire cast and crew will end. They also hope to use the facility for new projects after The Chosen is finished. From a video they showed, it looks like they already have significant progress done on the construction of the facility.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 2:36:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Season 3 has started production!
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I still binge watch it from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
When will Season 3 get done

Prime is now showing The Chosen
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:24:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ghengiskhabb] [#26]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
View Quote

Woot.

Another binge on the list.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd like to see them eventually run the story through Acts.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve been watching it and I like it
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to see them follow up on the apostles afterwards. There is a lot of speculation about their lives afterwards, with some reasonable guesses. All but one were killed while spreading the word. John is the one who lived out his life and reputably wrote relevations.

Pureflix has a Bible series where one episode touches on their fates

(Did I already mention this in this thread? I think I did).
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By uxo2:
When will Season 3 get done

View Quote

They are hoping to air a couple episodes by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like there will be an update on a livestream next Sunday with a sneak peak of a scene from Season 3. Looks like filming has progressed well so far...
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I found it on the angel network or something and then it just stopped. We looked around and there were several ways to get it. I just finally ordered season 1, 2 on blueray and will be done. Will get season 3 too
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Re watched both seasons and the season three teaser. I also, bought the two seasons on Blue-ray so I can loans them out. They plan on seven seasons so not sure where that ends up in the story but it has to cover the resurrection.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By IdahoDoug:
Re watched both seasons and the season three teaser. I also, bought the two seasons on Blue-ray so I can loans them out. They plan on seven seasons so not sure where that ends up in the story but it has to cover the resurrection.
View Quote

I would think that they would. I also bought the Special Edition DVD set... we will see what's in it!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm really impressed with how they portray the austere life style almost everyone was born into. Basically, most barely had enough to eat and pay taxes etc. It comes across very well. This wasn't the good ol days of King Solomon or David.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm really impressed with how they portray the austere life style almost everyone was born into. Basically, most barely had enough to eat and pay taxes etc. It comes across very well. This wasn't the good ol days of King Solomon or David.
View Quote

Yeah, the production values and attention to detail is excellent. I appreciate that they've really done their research on 1st Century Israeli life and culture.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#37]
It's filmed in TX from what I understand. Anybody know what the snow capped mountain range is in the background. Different location?
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#38]
It's filmed in TX from what I understand. Anybody know what the snow capped mountain range is in the background. Different location?
View Quote

A lot of the show was filmed on LDS property in Utah. Although its connection to the LDS Church gives me some concern, I haven't seen it affect the content of the show itself, so I can overlook that. But if I see them depicting Jesus and Satan as spirit brothers or something like that, I'm out!
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#39]

A lot of the show was filmed on LDS property in Utah. Although its connection to the LDS Church gives me some concern, I haven't seen it affect the content of the show itself, so I can overlook that. But if I see them depicting Jesus and Satan as spirit brothers or something like that, I'm out!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The producer Dallas Jenkins, explained some of his reasons for the show in one of the chats at the end. He was an evangelical but met with many different faiths to get it as right as possible. I think, not sure, the LDS helped with costs because of the over all message and story. I don't think this will stray a bit from what Jesus was all about.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#40]
The producer Dallas Jenkins, explained some of his reasons for the show in one of the chats at the end. He was an evangelical but met with many different faiths to get it as right as possible. I think, not sure, the LDS helped with costs because of the over all message and story. I don't think this will stray a bit from what Jesus was all about.
View Quote

It’s my understanding that it’s 100% crowdfunded and they took no money from any organization or church. And I too don’t think they will adopt LDS doctrine, partly because they’ve already shown at least one part of the Bible that significantly undermines it (showing John writing John 1:1-5).
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Very powerful and moving to my soul. I loved seeing the gospel come alive. I've always enjoyed movies more than books.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#42]
It's also on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#43]
There is some kind of preview or announcement at 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern. I think it's on the site. Mine just gives me an alert.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#44]
There is some kind of preview or announcement at 5pm Pacific, 8pm Eastern. I think it's on the site. Mine just gives me an alert.
View Quote

They’re going to air a scene from Season 3 and a documentary about Gen Z kids who watched the series and reacted to it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 8:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoDoug] [#45]
Well, I didn't get it.  don't know what happened to the email announcement.

edit. It was in promotions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:43:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, I didn't get it.  don't know what happened to the email announcement.

edit. It was in promotions.
View Quote

It’s on their YouTube and Facebook channels. The Gen Z documentary was awesome and definitely worth watching.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#47]

It's my understanding that it's 100% crowdfunded and they took no money from any organization or church. And I too don't think they will adopt LDS doctrine, partly because they've already shown at least one part of the Bible that significantly undermines it (showing John writing John 1:1-5).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's my understanding that it's 100% crowdfunded and they took no money from any organization or church. And I too don't think they will adopt LDS doctrine, partly because they've already shown at least one part of the Bible that significantly undermines it (showing John writing John 1:1-5).
This should be a discussion about the Chosen, not your lack of understanding of my religion's doctrine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:18:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leib109] [#48]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
This should be a discussion about the Chosen, not your lack of understanding of my religion's doctrine.
View Quote

I agree, there’s already a thread in this sub dealing with Mormonism. I brought that up because as a biblical Christian, the show’s connections to the LDS church has made myself and others uncomfortable over the years. But like I said, it hasn’t been an issue yet as far as the content, so I will keep watching and supporting it.

Has anybody else seen the Gen Z documentary?
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Just discovered this, great series!
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#50]
A group of us get together every Wednesday night at Church and watch an episode together. We're only on episode 3 so far and Me and the Wife are loving it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top