Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
CPX 72: Interlude.  The Eucharist in the Early Church.

Additional thoughts: Quite different from the other episodes in that it des not follow the PSPX catechism.  Fr. Nix composed the questions.  St. Ignatius of Antioch provided the answers.

CPX 72: The Eucharist in the Early Church
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#2]
CPX 73: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Penance in General, Questions 1-14.

Additional thoughts: Remote and proximate matter were new terms to me.  The priest must be authorized by the bishop, which makes for an interesting debate on the SSPX before 2015.  Contrition, confession, satisfaction, and absolution.    

Link Posted: 7/14/2021 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
CPX 74: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Penance in General, Questions 15-18.

Additional thoughts: Accusation.  Perfect vs. imperfect contrition.

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 12:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
CPX 75: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, The Effects and the Necessity of the Sacrament of Penance and the Dispositions to Receive It Properly, Questions 19-24.

Additional thoughts: Penance will have many episodes, which is awesome.  We should ask for the grace to know our sins and truly detest them.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
CPX 76: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Examination of Conscience, Questions 25-35.

Additional thoughts: This is a weak point for me.  Do one every night.  The nine ways of being an accessory to another's sin.

CPX 76: Examination of Conscience
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
CPX 77: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Sorrow, Questions 36-59.

Additional thoughts: Sorrow for sin.  Probably too many questions to cover in one episode.  Contrition vs. attrition.  Nightly act of contrition.  Praying for true sorrow.

Link Posted: 8/11/2021 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
CPX 78: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Resolution of Sinning No More, Questions 60-70.

Additional thoughts: Resolution must be absolute, universal, and efficacious.  Kicking bad habits.  Have a good confessor.

CPX 78: Resolution of Sinning No More
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
CPX 79: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, The Accusation of Sins to the Confessor, Questions 71-90.

Additional thoughts: What sins we are to confess.  The five qualities of accusation of sins.  The element of shame.  

CPX 79: Confessing Your Sins Part 1
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
CPX 80: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, How to Make a Good Confession, Questions 91-98.

Additional thoughts: Short one this time.  "For all these sins and for those I do not remember, I ask pardon of God with my whole heart, and penance and absolution of you, my spiritual Father."

CPX 80:  Confessing Your Sins Part 2
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
CPX 81: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Absolution, Questions 99-104.

Additional thoughts: Absolution is not automatic.  Example from St. (Padre) Pio.  Forgiving enemies from the heart.

CPX 81:  Who Gets Absolution?
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#11]
CPX 82: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Satisfaction or Penance, Questions 105-123.

Additional thoughts: Prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.  Restoring goods and repairing honor.  This should be about 2/3 through the series.

CPX 82:  Your Penance After Confession
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#12]
CPX 83: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Indulgences, Questions 124-136.

Additional thoughts: This ought to be popular with protestants.  Seriously though, even Catholics don't understand indulgences well.  It's actually not a very complex topic, and Fr. Nix does a nice job explaining it.  Good teaching on collective guilt and collective merits.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#13]
CPX 84: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Extreme Unction, Questions 1-6.

Additional thoughts: Given when in danger of death and preferably after Penance and Holy Communion.  PEXAP mnemonic.  Good explanation on apostolic pardon.  Sobering thoughts on the narrow road.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CPX 83: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Penance, Indulgences, Questions 124-136.

Additional thoughts: This ought to be popular with protestants.  Seriously though, even Catholics don't understand indulgences well.  It's actually not a very complex topic, and Fr. Nix does a nice job explaining it.  Good teaching on collective guilt and collective merits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkgls6jTRI
View Quote

Most Catholics don't understand indulgences, let alone those outside of the Church.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
CPX 85: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Holy Orders, Questions 1-8.

Additional thoughts: The priesthood will last until the end of time.  Minor orders.  Consecration vs. ordination.  Context on the role of bishops.

Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#16]
CPX 86: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Holy Orders, Questions 9-12.

Additional thoughts: Social Kingship of Christ vs. religious freedom.  Motivations to approach priesthood.

Link Posted: 10/27/2021 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
CPX 87: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Holy Orders, Questions 13-15.

Additional thoughts: Theological grades of certainty.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
CPX 88: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Matrimony, Nature of the Sacrament of Matrimony, Questions 1-7.

Additional thoughts: Crystal clear explanation from PSPX.  The explosion of annulments in the XX century.

Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#19]
CPX 89: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Matrimony, Minister - Rite Dispositions, Questions 8-13.

Additional thoughts: Interesting explanation on the minister in the different rites.  Avoiding dangerous familiarity.  Proper preparation.

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
CPX 90: The Sacraments, The Sacrament of Matrimony, Conditions and Impediments, Questions 14-26.

Additional thoughts: Cool explanation on marriage bands.  This marks the end of the teaching on sacraments.

Link Posted: 11/28/2021 12:44:55 AM EDT
[#21]
CPX 91: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Commandments of God in General, Questions 1-8.

Additional thoughts: Natural law written in man's heart.  Greatest commandment.  Second greatest commandment.  Unexpected moral teaching on IVF (the teaching itself is not the surprising part, but I did not expect IVF to come up in this video.

CPX 91: The Ten Commandments in General
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
CPX 92: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The First Commandment, Questions 1-12.

Additional thoughts: Internal and external worship.  The evil of idolatry.

CPX 92: The First Commandment (Part 1)
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
CPX 93: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The First Commandment, Questions 13-22.

Additional thoughts: Material heresy and formal heresy.  Spiritism and superstition.  Harry Potter and similar materials.

CPX 93: The First Commandment (Part 2)
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#24]
CPX 94: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Second Commandment, Questions 1-16.

Additional thoughts: Oath, vows, and promises.  On challenging others who use the Lord's name in vain.  This is timely considering that we just had the Feast of the Holy Name of Jesus.  

Video replaced for some reason:

CPX 94: The Second Commandment
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#25]
CPX 95: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Third Commandment, Questions 1-11.

Additional thoughts: Sunday and the Sabbath.  The reduction of feasts in the new calendar.  Receiving communion worthily.

CPX 95: The 3rd Commandment
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
PX 96: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Fourth Commandment, Questions 1-12.

Additional thoughts: Civil society.  Finding like-minded families.  Obedience to civil authorities (and limits thereof).  Accessories to sin.

CPX 96: The Fourth Commandment
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#27]
PX 97: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Fifth Commandment, Questions 1-12.

Additional thoughts: Long one this time.  Scandal.  Dueling.  Against birth control and IVF.  Death penalty is not impermissible.  Man's obligation to defend his family.  Father goes well outside of his area of expertise toward the end.  Hate to say it, but no one is perfect.

CPX 97: The Fifth Commandment
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#28]
CPX 98: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Sixth and Ninth Commandments, Questions 1-8.

Additional thoughts: Surprisingly short one.  Avoiding the proximate danger of sin.  Guarding children from the dangers of the internet.  Quote from St. Francis of Sales.

CPX 98: The 6th and 9th Commandments
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#29]
CPX 99: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Seventh Commandment, Questions 1-19.

Additional thoughts: This is pretty straightforward, but Father adds some commentary on private property and against communism.  Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas on the rare occasion when it is permissible to take something that is under the stewardship of someone else.

CPX 99: The Seventh Commandment
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#30]
CPX 100: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Eighth Commandment, Questions 1-15.

Additional thoughts: The breakdown into jocose, officious, and malicious lies was new to me.  Also, great reminder about not making rash judgments or rash suspicions.

CPX 100: The Eighth Commandment
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#31]
CPX 101: On the Commandments of God and of the Church, The Tenth Commandment, Questions 1-4.

Additional thoughts: Meditation on the ten commandments.

CPX 101: The Tenth Commandment
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#32]
CPX 102: The Precepts of the Church, The Precepts of the Church in General and The First Precept of the Church, Questions 1-14.

Additional thoughts: Some of these precepts changed in the XX century.  These are as they were during the reign of PSPX.

CPX 102: The First Precept of the Church
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
CPX 103: The Precepts of the Church, The Second Precept of the Church, Questions 15-26.

Additional thoughts: Fr. Nix will be doing the Catechism of Trent after this series is done.  This episode is all about fasting.  Ember days.  Fasting in the Western rite vs. fasting in the Eastern rites.  Fasting instruction from the Diocese of Newark in 1873 at ~11:00; much closer to Eastern rites than today's Western requirements.

CPX 103: The Second Precept of the Church (Fasting)
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#34]
CPX 104: The Precepts of the Church, The Third Precept of the Church, Questions 27-34.

Additional thoughts: Confession and proper disposition for Holy Communion.

CPX 104: The Third Precept of the Church
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#35]
CPX 105: The Precepts of the Church, The Fourth and Fifth Precepts of the Church, Questions 35-39.

Additional thoughts: While matrimonies are generally not celebrated during Advent and Lent, baptisms must not be delayed.  Dispositions for Holy Communion from PSPX.

CPX 105: The 4th and 5th Precepts
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:29:19 PM EDT
[#36]
CPX 106: On the Virtues and Vices, The Main Virtues, Theological Virtues and On Faith and the Mysteries of Faith, Questions 1-18.

Additional thoughts: Making frequent acts of Faith, Hope, and Charity is very important.  I really need to do better with these.

CPX 106: Supernatural Faith
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 1:14:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
On challenging others who use the Lord's name in vain.  
View Quote

I hold an alternative minority view on using the Lord's name in vain, in that it has nothing to do with anything as shallow as swearing. Nor is it directly related to speech at all.

As I see it, taking the Lord's name in vain is doing evil acts in God's name. It's similar to a Policeman committing a crime under the color of his uniform and authority as an appointed agent of the law. This is far worse than anyone else committing the same evil, because it tempts people to unjustly hate and to blame God under whose authority the evil is done.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I hold an alternative minority view on using the Lord's name in vain, in that it has nothing to do with anything as shallow as swearing. Nor is it directly related to speech at all.

As I see it, taking the Lord's name in vain is doing evil acts in God's name. It's similar to a Policeman committing a crime under the color of his uniform and authority as an appointed agent of the law. This is far worse than anyone else committing the same evil, because it tempts people to unjustly hate and to blame God under whose authority the evil is done.
View Quote

I agree that this view does not represent the common understanding through the millennia, even preceding the incarnation of our Lord.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#39]
CPX 107: On the Virtues and Vices, The Main Virtues, Theological Virtues and On Faith, The Mysteries of Faith and On Holy Scripture and On Holy Tradition, Questions 14-36.

Additional thoughts: Problematic footnotes in NAB.  2 Peter 3 "[14]Wherefore, dearly beloved, waiting for these things, be diligent that you may be found before him unspotted and blameless in peace. [15] And account the longsuffering of our Lord, salvation; as also our most dear brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, hath written to you:

[16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are certain things hard to be understood, which the unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, to their own destruction. [17] You therefore, brethren, knowing these things before, take heed, lest being led aside by the error of the unwise, you fall from your own steadfastness. [18] But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and unto the day of eternity. Amen."

CPX 107: Scripture and Tradition
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree that this view does not represent the common understanding through the millennia, even preceding the incarnation of our Lord.
View Quote

The literal Hebrew translation is the Commandment is "You shall not carry the banner of the Lord falsely." This relates to our actions which have a vastly greater effect on the world than mere words.

This is similar to the commonly held belief the Commandment says "you shall not kill" when in truth it actually says "You shall not murder." Killing and murdering are two very different acts within totally different contexts.

I also hold another minority view that the popular collective religious consensus of a belief does not determine its veracity, for even religious doctrinal consensus can become the broad road. Just as religious organizations can become clerical heirarchical bureaucracies... and all bureaucracies inevitably become liberal.

I think actual direct personal experience between an individual who does what is morally right and Christ can be a reliable guidepost to follow.

"The person who has My commands and keeps them is the one who really loves Me;
and whoever really loves Me will be loved by My Father,
and I too will love him and will show, reveal, manifest Myself to him.
I will let Myself be clearly seen by him and make Myself real to him."

--Jesus Christ
(John 14:21)

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#41]
CPX 108: On the Virtues and Vices, The Main Virtues, On Hope and On Charity, Questions 37-55.

Additional thoughts: Getting our kids to Heaven.  Father gives a formula on this objective.  The formula is 20 minutes of prayer and 20 minutes of catechesis per day.  The risk of presumption.

CPX 108: On Hope and Charity
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#42]
CPX 109: On the Virtues and Vices, The Main Virtues, On the Cardinal Virtues, Questions 56-61.

Additional thoughts: The foundation of all four is prudence.  Prudence is not opposed to boldness.

CPX 109: The Cardinal Virtues
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#43]
CPX 110: On the Virtues and Vices, The Gifts of the Holy Ghost, Questions 1-9.

Additional thoughts: Father ties the seven gifts of the Holy Ghost to the beatitudes and to the sorrows of Mary against the capital vices.  The mnemonic WCK-PUFF is how I remember the gifts and how I teach them to the kids.

CPX 110: The Gifts of the Holy Ghost
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#44]
CPX 111: On the Virtues and Vices, The Beatitudes, Questions 1-15.

Additional thoughts: Edited this by mistake and lost the additional input.

Link Posted: 6/17/2022 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#45]
CPX 112: On the Virtues and Vices, The Main Kinds of Sins, Questions 1-14.

Additional thoughts: Venial sin not to be taken lightly.  Thoughts on a perfect act of contrition.  Only one more lesson left.

Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#46]
CPX 113: On the Virtues and Vices, The Vices and Other Grievous Sins, Questions 1-9.

Additional thoughts: Sins against the Holy Ghost.  Not all sins are the same (as someone in a different thread claimed today).  Exorcism story.  This is the last episode in this series.

CPX 113: The Last CPX (The Worst Sins)
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I've updated the thread title and first post for clarity.  To those who were part of this journey, I hope you found it fruitful.  God bless and keep you all.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top