User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sir, it seems that you're really not grasping what he and I are saying. We agree and have no issues with what it says.  We're simply saying the choice God made was that those who accept the Lord are His chosen. Not that God picked certain people for salvation and for destruction  but that those who accept Christ as their Lord & Saviour are His chosen since before the foundation of the world, think more corporately, like that group of people.

Seriously go back, open the Bible, perhaps pray first and carefully read the scriptures again and see, if you can set aside what you have taught just for a moment to see if what we're claiming is a honest possible conclusion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By M-1975:
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:
"3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us <---Christians with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He <---- God The Father chose us <---Christians in Him before the foundation of the world, that we <---Christians would be holy and blameless  <----The ONLY way to be holy and blameless before God is to believe the Gospel and by the means of that belief be IN Christ    before Him.   <---- God The Father"

You know, I don't disagree with this here, I just don't read Calvinistic determinism into it also. Yes, God chose all those who believe in Christ to be holy and blameless in Christ. That's not the issue. 

The issue is conflating that with the idea that God has chosen exclude people from salvation via determinism by not giving them the super-faith beyond normal faith to be saved. It just isn't there. 

Btw, posting a huge tirade isn't helping your case, and to be honest, I'm not bothering reading it all at this point because I don't think you're looking for an honest discussion, just an excuse to rant when people won't confirm your biases. 

Um, the text says that God chose all who believe in christ by giving them blessings in such a way as to be holy and blameless. God's choice results in the holiness and blamelessness.  "... He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him."  God's choice resulted in our getting the blessing.

Sir, it seems that you're really not grasping what he and I are saying. We agree and have no issues with what it says.  We're simply saying the choice God made was that those who accept the Lord are His chosen. Not that God picked certain people for salvation and for destruction  but that those who accept Christ as their Lord & Saviour are His chosen since before the foundation of the world, think more corporately, like that group of people.

Seriously go back, open the Bible, perhaps pray first and carefully read the scriptures again and see, if you can set aside what you have taught just for a moment to see if what we're claiming is a honest possible conclusion.

That's the thing - we aren't in agreement.  This is why I wanted to stick with the text - so the positions could be clear, and actually be checked.  Vss 3-4 contain the teaching that God chose us in christ before creation to be holy and blameless before him.  The only way to be H&B is to be in Christ, only way to be that is to believe the Gospel.   He didn't choose us because we believed/he knew we'd believe.

This is not in agreement:
Nope. It says that those in Him were chosen to be blameless, as in those who believe in Christ. It is the result of faith in Christ, not the cause of faith in Christ. It does not say that belief itself is the blessing. That's actually suspiciously missing in the order of salvation in verse 13.

Bold and big simply to point it out. He said "it" (Gods choice of who to bless in christ in such a way as to make them Holy and blameless)"is the RESULT of faith in christ."

I'm saying that it (God's choice of who gets so blessed) is not the result of our faith in Christ (and am saying so because the verse is clear - the verse doesn't say why God chose us, AND it also says that the results of his choice of us is THAT we become holy and blameless before him (only way to get to be that, is to be in christ - have to have belief in the gospel to get in Christ).  This is not based on voodoo reading, it's just normal every-day "this is how we read."

The chunk of text is there, read it for yourself. Diagram it out ... (kinda like how we wish leftists would diagram out the 2nd amendment: .

No special sauce required - we are (I presume) fellow professing believers; that means we always ask for the holy spirit's help, but that doesn't mean abnormal or whacky reading. It's all there, in the words, in the grammar. God made himself known in a knowable way.

EDIT: thank you for not assuming things about me that have nothing to do with what I post. I appreciate that.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The sentence does not say God chose them because they were believers. <---- that is nowhere in that chunk of text. In any of it. Further, it says they were chose TO BE made blameless by receiving the blessings in such a way that they would BE made holy and blameless.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.

"he chose them because of their belief" isn't there ^^^ in the grammar or definitions of that passage or anywhere else in the chunk (1:1-12) we're discussing.  What *Is* there is that God the father chose us in christ in such a way that we would be holy and blameless. <--- that's actually there, in it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The sentence does not say God chose them because they were believers. <---- that is nowhere in that chunk of text. In any of it. Further, it says they were chose TO BE made blameless by receiving the blessings in such a way that they would BE made holy and blameless.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him.

"he chose them because of their belief" isn't there ^^^ in the grammar or definitions of that passage or anywhere else in the chunk (1:1-12) we're discussing.  What *Is* there is that God the father chose us in christ in such a way that we would be holy and blameless. <--- that's actually there, in it.
You're not repeating what I actually posted. Yet at the same time, I can argue it doesn't say people are chosen TO believe. We are chosen in Him. How? "He who believes (active voice) in the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness."  But there I go making the case that it is your responsibility to do word studies in Greek if you really want to get into the word of God. It's easy, here's a site that'll help: https://www.blueletterbible.org/

I wasn't handwaving on reprobation. I simply said this passage doesn't talk about it (and it doesn't). You are right that the idea of "choice" requires picking some and rejecting others, but frankly I don't care to move past this point till it's meaningfully understood on all our sides, even if we don't agree.
Of course, that's the dirty side of Calvinism.

"you think you can wave away greek grammar" <---- could you stop mind-reading me and just stick to what the things I post say? ... especially the stuff that I've already said is false (and explained, well, more than once)?
But that's what you did. Ephesians 2 clearly states in the Greek that the gift is "salvation by grace through faith". And I have looked for Calvinist rebuttals and all the ones that I've found are just deflections from the point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's the thing - we aren't in agreement.  This is why I wanted to stick with the text - so the positions could be clear, and actually be checked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's the thing - we aren't in agreement.  This is why I wanted to stick with the text - so the positions could be clear, and actually be checked.
You're not sticking to the text though. You've been fooled into taking two verses and stuffing them with a theological system that they don't support.
Vss 3-4 contain the teaching that God chose us in christ before creation to be holy and blameless before him.  The only way to be H&B is to be in Christ, only way to be that is to believe the Gospel.  He didn't choose us because we believed/he knew we'd believe.
Again, we are in agreement with the bolded statement. Where we disagree is the determinism that you're adding into that statement that belief is passive and we're saying it's active. If we are passive in faith, then why is that not written in verse 13?

This is not in agreement:
Bold and big simply to point it out. He said "it" (Gods choice of who to bless in christ in such a way as to make them Holy and blameless)"is the RESULT of faith in christ."

I'm saying that it (God's choice of who gets so blessed) is not the result of our faith in Christ (and am saying so because the verse is clear - the verse doesn't say why God chose us, AND it also says that the results of his choice of us is THAT we become holy and blameless before him (only way to get to be that, is to be in christ - have to have belief in the gospel to get in Christ).  This is not based on voodoo reading, it's just normal every-day "this is how we read."

The chunk of text is there, read it for yourself. Diagram it out ... (kinda like how we wish leftists would diagram out the 2nd amendment: https://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p519/shisno314/_facebook_-464151791_.jpg.

No special sauce required - we are (I presume) fellow professing believers; that means we always ask for the holy spirit's help, but that doesn't mean abnormal or whacky reading. It's all there, in the words, in the grammar. God made himself known in a knowable way.

EDIT: thank you for not assuming things about me that have nothing to do with what I post. I appreciate that.

You're arguing out in left field from my point of view. And you can diagram it all day long in English, but it was written down in a foreign language. It's not saying God chose us to be saved, but chose Christ as the one who we need to be in (i.e. "IN HIM") to be H&B. The only onapplying apply "special sauce" is you, because you bought what some preacher was selling and not what the Apostles wrote down.

At this point you're arguing in circles.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I think one of the nagging questions that lurk under layers of discussions like this is: How much can you get wrong about who Jesus is before you are worshipping a god that doesn't exist?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Yet at the same time, I can argue it doesn't say people are chosen TO believe.
View Quote

Yes, and you can also argue a circle is a square - that you can argue something is not the point. The point is, does the text require you to believe that.

We are chosen in Him. How? "He who believes (active voice) in the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness."  But there I go making the case that it is your responsibility to do word studies in Greek if you really want to get into the word of God. It's easy, here's a site that'll help: https://www.blueletterbible.org/
View Quote

Why is it that you are continuing to go for insults that have zilch to do with what I've actually said?

You offered an argument that requires me to know something I don't know (a foreign language) in order to be able to assess for myself. I tell you I'm not going to engage in that argument because I don't know greek, and instead of simply accepting that, you resort to insult and keep posting as if I never told you exactly why I'm not going to do the greek thing.  I am NOT going to go into a greek-english dictionary and try to choose which meaning of a any given word applies wherever in the greek without knowing the greek grammar. THAT'S IGNORANT and tells God to his face "I know you chose this particular language and the grammar of the text is important/necessary to see what it means, but I'm going to ignore that and pick my favored definition."

Of course, that's the dirty side of Calvinism.
View Quote

I say I'm not discussing that right now because I want to finish this part of the discussion and that magically transmutes into you're just avoiding that because "of course, that's the dirty side of calvinism." At this point I legit want to know, do you even care what I say? Or are you so wrapped around your internal stereotype of what I have to be that you refuse to do the work of letting it go long enough to actually interact with me like a living, breathing, person, who can have his own reasons for believing things - even things you think I can't possibly believe?

How can you possibly have any decent interaction with people who disagree with you when you just keep assuming things - even after you've been told otherwise?

But that's what you did. Ephesians 2 clearly states in the Greek that the gift is "salvation by grace through faith". And I have looked for Calvinist rebuttals and all the ones that I've found are just deflections from the point.
View Quote

Now I have to have been doing what I wasn't doing (I guess simply because you say so, not for any reason having to do with what I posted).

Quoted:
You're not sticking to the text though.
View Quote

There the text is, sitting there, waiting for you to read it just like you read everything else, and show how it doesn't contain what I'm saying.

"3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. "

God chose us through Christ in so that we would be holy and blameless before him. The only way to be H&B before God is to have believed the gospel. GOD chose to us be holy and blameless. HE chose us to be holy and blameless before him. NOT US - the verse doesn't say WE chose. His choice makes the one chosen H&B (through Christ).

Where does this chunk say that  "It (God's choice of us) is the result of faith in Christ"  ...???

You've been fooled into taking two verses and stuffing them with a theological system that they don't support.
View Quote

The things you magically know about me are amazing, especially considering you don't know me at all ... and you refuse to let ME say what I meant (in the complete absence of pointing to where my text requires your assumption).

Now it has to have been, "I've been fooled"  - and somehow you now know me better than I know myself, well enough to know how I came to believe something, even better than I do, apparently.

Should I dare ask you how it is that you know I'm also apparently stuffing an entire theological system into two verses?

Again, we are in agreement with the bolded statement. Where we disagree is the determinism that you're adding into that statement that belief is passive and we're saying it's active. If we are passive in faith, then why is that not written in verse 13?
View Quote

I'm actually happy that we agree the only way to be holy before God is to be in Christ, and the only way to be in Christ is to believe the gospel.

Again, with the assuming you must know what is in my mind that I believe. "passive" belief  ... whatever it is you mean by "passive."  If you are just going to keep assuming you know me and what I believe, there's almost NO point to even interacting with you, because you're *barely* even talking with me. Could you not have at least *asked*? Or merely said what you meant by passive, so I could at least know what you mean? Sure, I have some ideas, but this assuming is getting to be twilight zone crazy.

You're arguing out in left field from my point of view. And you can diagram it all day long in English, but it was written down in a foreign language. It's not saying God chose us to be saved, but chose Christ as the one who we need to be in (i.e. "IN HIM") to be H&B. The only onapplying apply "special sauce" is you, because you bought what some preacher was selling and not what the Apostles wrote down.
View Quote

"diagram it all day in english" <--- whether you intended it or not, that flip comment there says "I don't care what the bible says in english, that doesn't matter."  Doubly ironic considering the apostles used ... the septuagint - a greek translation of the OT *under inspiration.*  If you didn't mean to dismiss the bible in english, you shoudln't have said that, because that's what that comment requires.

This says God chose CHRIST as the one we need to be in? "3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. " ... WHERE?

I'd ask you to line it out, but apparently that's something to be dismissed.

At this point you're arguing in circles.
View Quote

Man, you're interacting more with your assumptions about me than you are with what I've actually posted, and you have the nerve to accuse me of arguing in circles!?!?
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
@FlashMan-7k

“The question you have raised has to do with an issue that theologians have been wrestling with for centuries. The Calvinistic and the Arminian position highlight their own views in attempting to answer this question. The passage you have referred to in Romans is taken out of Paul’s letter in which he is dealing with the privileged position that Israel has as being the mouthpiece to the nations of the world, and the passage in Peter, of course, is referring to the fact that God is not desiring that anyone should perish. If I may rephrase your question, you are wrestling with the dialectic of the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. Let me try and give you a couple of illustrations before dealing with it theologically and in a mild philosophical manner.

The sovereignty and responsibility issue should really be seen as two opposite poles of the same position. Light, for example, is viewed from some vantage points as particles. From other vantage points it is viewed as waves. Scientists are aware that light could not be both particles and waves, so they have coined a term for it, a kind of a construct, and they call it a “photon.” All they have done is create a word and a category that accommodates both perspectives which are real. I think you should view the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man as a kind of a precious stone with two facets to it. When it catches the light from one direction, you see one color; when it catches the light from the other direction you see the other color. Our propensity in the Western world to put God into a box and to systematize everything sometimes violates a fundamental precept in philosophy. It is not possible for a finite person to infinitely understand the infinite. If a finite person can fully understand the infinite, the very category of infinity is destroyed. So my proposal to you is to see both of these perspectives and hold them in balance.

For example, the biblical writers held these in tension. When you look at Acts 2:23, Peter is addressing the people. After the crucifixion of Jesus, he says, “That which God hath ordained from before the foundation of the world, you with wicked hands have taken and crucified.” What is he talking about? “That which God hath foreordained (the sovereignty of God) you with wicked hands have taken and crucified (the responsibility of man).” Peter holds it in tension. The apostle Paul in Philippians 2:12 does the same thing. He says, “Work out your own salvation (the responsibility of man), for it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (the sovereignty of God).” So Paul holds it in tension. Jesus also in Matthew 18:7 says, “Offenses must come, but woe unto him through whom they come”–the sovereignty of God and responsibility of man. So in an attempt to try to clearly highlight either of these two extremes, you will do violence to the other.

In your example of Romans 9, it is imperative that you understand the context. In Romans, chapters 9, 10 and 11, Paul is primarily writing to the Jewish church in order to get them to understand that the chosenness that God had given to them was a privilege with concomitant responsibilities. He goes on to show that their privileged position was given to them because someone had to be a mouthpiece to the world and God chose the least of all the nations. He did not choose the philosophers in Greece; He did not choose the imperial might of Rome; He did not choose the splendor of Babylon. He chose a tiny little nation with whom and through whom He was going to pronounce the oracles to the rest of the world. Now, with that great privilege came a proportionate responsibility. So that chosenness was one of instrumentality, and to whom much was given much was also required. In the same way, I believe this principle applies to preachers. Just because we are called upon to stand in front of people and proclaim, it does not necessarily mean we have a better deal going for us. The fact is that our lives must be proportionate to the privilege and responsibility.

The passage in Peter expresses God’s desire for all mankind. Of course, He is not willing that any should perish. Now, what you need to do is recognize that foreknowledge and foreordination are not the same thing. I may know, for example, that as I see my child about to lift something heavy that he is not going to be able to lift it, but there are times when I stand back and watch in an attempt to teach this individual the fact that there are some loads too heavy for a smaller body to handle. Now when you are looking at the sovereignty of God, it is undeniable that God is sovereign in history. He is even able to take the evil intents of people and turn them around to good benefits. But isn’t that true of all life? There are some things in life that are givens–you and I have no control over them, but we do have options as to how we are going to deal with those givens, and that is where our responsibility comes in.

When you think of the mystery of sovereignty and responsibility, the very incarnation of Christ carries this enigma. Here is the sovereign God dwelling in a finite body with all of its limitations. So in my initial answer to you, may I suggest that you look at these two points as opposite poles of a dialectic; we cannot take God and put Him in a box as absolutely free. Somewhere the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man meet. The picture I have in mind is not of overlapping circles, as if each circle represented one extreme of the pole, but of conjoining circles. At some spot the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man meet. To try to answer it and explain it away would require infinite knowledge. The challenge you and I face, therefore, in life is to see how we can responsibly operate within the parameters that are so clear–God is sovereign, and yet I have the freedom and reserve the right to say yes or to say no. You see, God has given to every man the fundamental privilege of trusting Him or refusing to trust Him. You know, the old illustration used to be the sign outside of Heaven saying “Whosoever will may come,” and once you enter in, you see the sign that says, “Chosen before the foundation of the world.” A person who is truly born again recognizes that it was really the grace of God that brought him there because he could ever have come this way himself. It does not in any way mitigate or violate the choice that he made. The choice man makes is to trust God’s provision. Frankly, the tendency we may sometimes have is to complain that there is only one door to Heaven. Rather than complaining about it, we ought to thank God that there is at least one door by which we may enter.

There have been Calvinists and Arminians, giants of the faith, on both sides of the fence. I believe what John Calvin says holds very true: “Where God has closed His holy mouth let us learn not to open ours.” My own perspective on this is that God’s assurance of sovereignty is given to the person who wonders whatever caused him to merit the salvation, and God’s challenge of free will is to the person who tends to blame God for having even brought him into this world and that he has nothing to do to control his destiny. When you look at the encounter between Pharaoh and Moses, you see the constant availability of data given to Pharaoh, and the hardening process is really not a predestined one. It is a description after the fact that God was going to reveal the face that this man’s heart was already hardened. Remember, God operates in the eternal now.

So to sum up once again, the chapters of Romans 9, 10 and 11 are Paul’s theological treatise to the Jews to alert them to the fact that this great privilege does not let them get away scot-free. They have an enormous and a proportionate responsibility. He goes on to alert other nations that, rather than complaining about it, they should be glad that a privilege was given to someone, and through that someone this message has come to them also. In fact, if you read Romans 1, 2 and 3, you will find out that the privilege that the Jew had, in many ways, for many of them, turned out to be a disadvantage. If you read Romans 5, you will find out that even though God called Abraham, it was the faith of Abraham that justified him. Once again you see the sovereignty and responsibility. Why don’t we leave this enigma within the divine mind and just be grateful for the privilege that we have heard His voice and we can turn and follow Him?

May I strongly recommend that you pick up the book written by J. I. Packer, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God. His introductory comments alone, dealing with the difference between a contradiction and a paradox, are well done. If God were absolutely sovereign, then it would be a contradiction to say that man is absolutely free. God is not absolutely sovereign to the point that He can call something that is not as if it actually were. For example, God cannot make squares into circles. That would be a contradiction. So absolute sovereignty is really not what is being talked about here. God, therefore, has chosen to give us the option and, within that framework, He cannot call us free while absolutely violating that freedom. Both poles exist–His sovereignty and our responsibility. We rest on the fact that God is just, that God is love, that God is good, and He woos us enough so that we may trust Him and yet gives us enough freedom so that we might know that this freedom cannot be transformed into coercion.”

-Ravi K. Zacharias/ 1987
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes, and you can also argue a circle is a square - that you can argue something is not the point. The point is, does the text require you to believe that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ephesians 1 does not require a belief that God has chosen who will believe and who won't, as we have stated throughout this thread.

Why is it that you are continuing to go for insults that have zilch to do with what I've actually said?

You offered an argument that requires me to know something I don't know (a foreign language) in order to be able to assess for myself. I tell you I'm not going to engage in that argument because I don't know greek, and instead of simply accepting that, you resort to insult and keep posting as if I never told you exactly why I'm not going to do the greek thing.  I am NOT going to go into a greek-english dictionary and try to choose which meaning of a any given word applies wherever in the greek without knowing the greek grammar. THAT'S IGNORANT and tells God to his face "I know you chose this particular language and the grammar of the text is important/necessary to see what it means, but I'm going to ignore that and pick my favored definition."

I was presenting you with a different idea I believe is present in that verse.

As far as the Greek goes, you can read this, but the TL;DR is that there are three voices in verbs, active, passive, and middle. The word for "faith/believe", pisteuo, is almost always in the active voice in the Bible - meaning that the source of faith is the believer. Faith is not something that is done TO the believer, as would be the case if it was written in the passive voice. The Apostles clearly thought that believing was something that people did and it wasn't something done to them. A good example of this is Ephesians 1:19:

"And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,"

"Believe" is in the 'Present Active Participle - Accusative Plural Masculine'. So we can't take "us who believe" and make it "us who were made to believe" and stay true to what Paul actually wrote. And that's the case for almost all his uses for the word pisteuo.

We don't need to be able to hold a conversation in ancient Greek to be able to sit down and get an idea about what they're communicating. English is not as precise a language as classical Greek was, plus by nature, it has a different philosophy behind it (as do all languages). It gets worse as we look at Hebrew (but this is a great analysis), but tbh, we can just get a Greek OT (also called The Septuagint or LXX) translation that predates Jesus by 100 years and was what the Apostles used and quoted from. This is the one I use.

I say I'm not discussing that right now because I want to finish this part of the discussion and that magically transmutes into you're just avoiding that because "of course, that's the dirty side of calvinism." At this point I legit want to know, do you even care what I say? Or are you so wrapped around your internal stereotype of what I have to be that you refuse to do the work of letting it go long enough to actually interact with me like a living, breathing, person, who can have his own reasons for believing things - even things you think I can't possibly believe?

How can you possibly have any decent interaction with people who disagree with you when you just keep assuming things - even after you've been told otherwise?
I'm telling you that if you really want to know what the Apostles were saying, you can easily do so with free tools that are available on the internet. Blue Letter Bible is a great resource.

Double predestination isn't a stereotype, it's a logical inference of determinism, and one that some Calvinist preachers embrace and others hide under the mat. And I know you didn't come up with Calvinism so you were fooled into believing it. Yes, they do attach their entire theological system on what they assume the underlying meaning of some words are in a relatively few verses, while they hide what goes against that system, like redefining the word "all" as in these verses:

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

That verse there destroys the Calvinist idea that Christ didn't die for all sinners.

1 Timothy 2:1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

So if God chooses who will be saved (and by simple logic who will not be saved) then why does it say that He died for all, and desires ALL men to be saved? Is Paul lying? Is God lying here? Or is it more likely that you are mistaken along with Calvinist preachers who proselytize other Christians to believe that God chooses who will believe and didn't die on the cross for all?

Please put aside your desire to be offended and think about what you've been told is true and how much the Bible contradicts that belief.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]
All
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All
View Quote

Exactly. In Calvinism, you can't read the Bible for what it says, because it's too much to believe.

It's telling that the author avoids the problems in the verses I quoted. BTW, he apparently had to resign from Founders Ministries position over his criticism of sexual abuse survivors. More here.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope you guy's read the quote I posted of Ravi Zacharias.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I find it telling  that you neglected to address the verses he mentioned.  Not really...but that’s basically what you said about him.  As far as I know he isn’t a member here and was not replying to you.  I don’t know the man and can’t say I’ve ever read him before.  I’m not Baptist. And why did you find it necessary to bring up the resignation?  Sexual abuse is sin.  Awful sin.  I’m of the opinion that we should use biblical punishment for abusers.  However that doesn’t make what he says false.  What was the purpose in bringing that up?  Paul was a murderer..David also. Can we not listen to what they wrote?  Of course we can.  There was absolutely no reason in this thread to bring that up.  Start a new one and list sexual offenders and I’ll probably throw some names out too.  

Refute what he said, not his lifestyle or his sin in a thread about what he said.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I find it telling  that you neglected to address the verses he mentioned.
View Quote
I find it telling that it neglected to address the verses I mentioned.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ephesians 1 does not require a belief that God has chosen who will believe and who won't, as we have stated throughout this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've stated your position on this before, and I hadn't forgotten it. Don't know why you feel the need to re-state it.

I was presenting you with a different idea I believe is present in that verse.

As far as the Greek goes, you can read this, but the TL;DR is that there are three voices in verbs, active, passive, and middle. The word for "faith/believe", pisteuo, is almost always in the active voice in the Bible - meaning that the source of faith is the believer. Faith is not something that is done TO the believer, as would be the case if it was written in the passive voice. The Apostles clearly thought that believing was something that people did and it wasn't something done to them. A good example of this is Ephesians 1:19:

"And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,"

"Believe" is in the 'Present Active Participle - Accusative Plural Masculine'. So we can't take "us who believe" and make it "us who were made to believe" and stay true to what Paul actually wrote. And that's the case for almost all his uses for the word pisteuo.

We don't need to be able to hold a conversation in ancient Greek to be able to sit down and get an idea about what they're communicating. English is not as precise a language as classical Greek was, plus by nature, it has a different philosophy behind it (as do all languages). It gets worse as we look at Hebrew (but this is a great analysis), but tbh, we can just get a Greek OT (also called The Septuagint or LXX) translation that predates Jesus by 100 years and was what the Apostles used and quoted from. This is the one I use.

I don't believe that faith is something that is done to people, to the exclusion of them actually being the ones doing the believing, and have literally never seen that taught in anything reformed I have heard/read/seen anywhere.

Regarding what I actually believe, I believe because we are in adam and have his nature, we reject spiritual things and cannot meaningfully understand them, that the gospel is the odor of death to us, and that we cannot please God - because we do not want, our nature is against it. (and I believe that when we accept the gospel, that pleases God). I believe that we must be made into new creatures - regenerated - before we will be willing to accept God and believe the gospel.

I also believe that it is we who choose - after we are changed so that it is what we want to do - to believe the Gospel, and we who choose to continue to believe it, throughout life - and this is in line with the teaching I have seen in reformed theology/calvinism that I have seen (and I've grown up in that arena). Anyone that teaches that we don't do the believing is not teaching RT/Calvinism regarding that topic.

"And that's the case for almost all his uses for the word pisteuo. "
Um, just regarding that line of reasoning, you have to be able to tell if the word is being used in the same way ... in fact, in order to even establish that conclusion "almost all his uses" you have to be able to pin down each individual instance.  Cart goes after the horse, not before it - can't assume the word has to be taken this way merely because it is that way elsewhere.

Koine =/= classical greek (I don't know greek, but I do know that).

I'm telling you that if you really want to know what the Apostles were saying, you can easily do so with free tools that are available on the internet. Blue Letter Bible is a great resource.

Double predestination isn't a stereotype, it's a logical inference of determinism, and one that some Calvinist preachers embrace and others hide under the mat. And I know you didn't come up with Calvinism so you were fooled into believing it. Yes, they do attach their entire theological system on what they assume the underlying meaning of some words are in a relatively few verses, while they hide what goes against that system, like redefining the word "all" as in these verses:

Romans 5:18 Therefore, as through one man's offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man's righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life.

That verse there destroys the Calvinist idea that Christ didn't die for all sinners.

1 Timothy 2:1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

So if God chooses who will be saved (and by simple logic who will not be saved) then why does it say that He died for all, and desires ALL men to be saved? Is Paul lying? Is God lying here? Or is it more likely that you are mistaken along with Calvinist preachers who proselytize other Christians to believe that God chooses who will believe and didn't die on the cross for all?

"really want to know what the apostles were saying" - yeah, that's why I read a translation in a language I do know, with access to notes about translation, and I have multiples, and I have some idea about what kind of translation each is so I can know what it's useful for and what not. I'd like to be able to read the originals, but I know that's not going to happen in my life, and I have some idea of the pitfalls of trying to use word dictionaries and interlinears and that sort of thing, pitfalls you can't even know you're in if you don't know how to read the language.  That includes bickering back and forth over grammar-specific arguments regarding what is included in a list and what is not when you don't know the grammar and you have no idea whether the people you're reading are wrong or not.

"and I know you didn't come up with calvinism so I know you were fooled" <--- no, you don't, because there's nothing that I've posted where you can point to and say "the content here requires me unavoidably to believe this" that says so. You're assuming without being able to prove it, even to yourself, much less me or anyone else, and it's very insulting to boot - "You have to have been fooled, can't have been any other way you got to believe what you do."

I don't have a problem with talking about reprobation, but I don't believe I know what you have in mind when you define that doctrine for yourself, and I don't see the point of discussing another thing till at least getting somewhere useful on what's already been discussed.

I'd actually enjoy getting into discussing those verses with you, but you still haven't shown where the verses we were discussing contain what you claimed they did.  Why jump to another place when the first hasn't even finished? When you actually get into the text from 1cor 1-12 and particularly 3-4 and logically demonstrate, from what that passage itself contains, that it means what you say it does, than I'll be happy to discuss whatever else.

Otherwise, why discuss anything, if we can't even get *one thing* actually sorted?

Or I guess you can take a hard pass and whatever comes up on this section of the forum is what comes up.

Please put aside your desire to be offended and think about what you've been told is true and how much the Bible contradicts that belief.

To quote newhart, JUST STOP IT.

Now you're assuming I have a desire to be offended.

Not only did you assume that for no good reason, it's also not true.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't believe that faith is something that is done to people, to the exclusion of them actually being the ones doing the believing, and have literally never seen that taught in anything reformed I have heard/read/seen anywhere.
View Quote

That's what we've been talking about! That's what Calvinist Determinism is. If that's not what you believe, then what the hell are you ranting about? It's not consistent theologically. One post you're saying that God chooses who is saved (Calvinism) and another you're affirming that Christ saves - as if we don't believe that - which I've already stated twice that we all believe.

Don't bother writing a long post like that. So far all your long posts have come off to me as rants against people personally while being all over the place and arguing in circles.

ETA I read it, yeah, pretty much what I thought.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@FlashMan-7k

View All Quotes
Quoted:
@FlashMan-7k

“The question you have raised has to do with an issue that theologians have been wrestling with for centuries. The Calvinistic and the Arminian position highlight their own views in attempting to answer this question. The passage you have referred to in Romans is taken out of Paul’s letter in which he is dealing with the privileged position that Israel has as being the mouthpiece to the nations of the world, and the passage in Peter, of course, is referring to the fact that God is not desiring that anyone should perish. If I may rephrase your question, you are wrestling with the dialectic of the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man. Let me try and give you a couple of illustrations before dealing with it theologically and in a mild philosophical manner.

The sovereignty and responsibility issue should really be seen as two opposite poles of the same position. Light, for example, is viewed from some vantage points as particles. From other vantage points it is viewed as waves. Scientists are aware that light could not be both particles and waves, so they have coined a term for it, a kind of a construct, and they call it a “photon.” All they have done is create a word and a category that accommodates both perspectives which are real. I think you should view the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man as a kind of a precious stone with two facets to it. When it catches the light from one direction, you see one color; when it catches the light from the other direction you see the other color. Our propensity in the Western world to put God into a box and to systematize everything sometimes violates a fundamental precept in philosophy. It is not possible for a finite person to infinitely understand the infinite. If a finite person can fully understand the infinite, the very category of infinity is destroyed. So my proposal to you is to see both of these perspectives and hold them in balance.

For example, the biblical writers held these in tension. When you look at Acts 2:23, Peter is addressing the people. After the crucifixion of Jesus, he says, “That which God hath ordained from before the foundation of the world, you with wicked hands have taken and crucified.” What is he talking about? “That which God hath foreordained (the sovereignty of God) you with wicked hands have taken and crucified (the responsibility of man).” Peter holds it in tension. The apostle Paul in Philippians 2:12 does the same thing. He says, “Work out your own salvation (the responsibility of man), for it is God that worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure (the sovereignty of God).” So Paul holds it in tension. Jesus also in Matthew 18:7 says, “Offenses must come, but woe unto him through whom they come”–the sovereignty of God and responsibility of man. So in an attempt to try to clearly highlight either of these two extremes, you will do violence to the other.

In your example of Romans 9, it is imperative that you understand the context. In Romans, chapters 9, 10 and 11, Paul is primarily writing to the Jewish church in order to get them to understand that the chosenness that God had given to them was a privilege with concomitant responsibilities. He goes on to show that their privileged position was given to them because someone had to be a mouthpiece to the world and God chose the least of all the nations. He did not choose the philosophers in Greece; He did not choose the imperial might of Rome; He did not choose the splendor of Babylon. He chose a tiny little nation with whom and through whom He was going to pronounce the oracles to the rest of the world. Now, with that great privilege came a proportionate responsibility. So that chosenness was one of instrumentality, and to whom much was given much was also required. In the same way, I believe this principle applies to preachers. Just because we are called upon to stand in front of people and proclaim, it does not necessarily mean we have a better deal going for us. The fact is that our lives must be proportionate to the privilege and responsibility.

The passage in Peter expresses God’s desire for all mankind. Of course, He is not willing that any should perish. Now, what you need to do is recognize that foreknowledge and foreordination are not the same thing. I may know, for example, that as I see my child about to lift something heavy that he is not going to be able to lift it, but there are times when I stand back and watch in an attempt to teach this individual the fact that there are some loads too heavy for a smaller body to handle. Now when you are looking at the sovereignty of God, it is undeniable that God is sovereign in history. He is even able to take the evil intents of people and turn them around to good benefits. But isn’t that true of all life? There are some things in life that are givens–you and I have no control over them, but we do have options as to how we are going to deal with those givens, and that is where our responsibility comes in.

When you think of the mystery of sovereignty and responsibility, the very incarnation of Christ carries this enigma. Here is the sovereign God dwelling in a finite body with all of its limitations. So in my initial answer to you, may I suggest that you look at these two points as opposite poles of a dialectic; we cannot take God and put Him in a box as absolutely free. Somewhere the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man meet. The picture I have in mind is not of overlapping circles, as if each circle represented one extreme of the pole, but of conjoining circles. At some spot the sovereignty of God and the responsibility of man meet. To try to answer it and explain it away would require infinite knowledge. The challenge you and I face, therefore, in life is to see how we can responsibly operate within the parameters that are so clear–God is sovereign, and yet I have the freedom and reserve the right to say yes or to say no. You see, God has given to every man the fundamental privilege of trusting Him or refusing to trust Him. You know, the old illustration used to be the sign outside of Heaven saying “Whosoever will may come,” and once you enter in, you see the sign that says, “Chosen before the foundation of the world.” A person who is truly born again recognizes that it was really the grace of God that brought him there because he could ever have come this way himself. It does not in any way mitigate or violate the choice that he made. The choice man makes is to trust God’s provision. Frankly, the tendency we may sometimes have is to complain that there is only one door to Heaven. Rather than complaining about it, we ought to thank God that there is at least one door by which we may enter.

There have been Calvinists and Arminians, giants of the faith, on both sides of the fence. I believe what John Calvin says holds very true: “Where God has closed His holy mouth let us learn not to open ours.” My own perspective on this is that God’s assurance of sovereignty is given to the person who wonders whatever caused him to merit the salvation, and God’s challenge of free will is to the person who tends to blame God for having even brought him into this world and that he has nothing to do to control his destiny. When you look at the encounter between Pharaoh and Moses, you see the constant availability of data given to Pharaoh, and the hardening process is really not a predestined one. It is a description after the fact that God was going to reveal the face that this man’s heart was already hardened. Remember, God operates in the eternal now.

So to sum up once again, the chapters of Romans 9, 10 and 11 are Paul’s theological treatise to the Jews to alert them to the fact that this great privilege does not let them get away scot-free. They have an enormous and a proportionate responsibility. He goes on to alert other nations that, rather than complaining about it, they should be glad that a privilege was given to someone, and through that someone this message has come to them also. In fact, if you read Romans 1, 2 and 3, you will find out that the privilege that the Jew had, in many ways, for many of them, turned out to be a disadvantage. If you read Romans 5, you will find out that even though God called Abraham, it was the faith of Abraham that justified him. Once again you see the sovereignty and responsibility. Why don’t we leave this enigma within the divine mind and just be grateful for the privilege that we have heard His voice and we can turn and follow Him?

May I strongly recommend that you pick up the book written by J. I. Packer, Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God. His introductory comments alone, dealing with the difference between a contradiction and a paradox, are well done. If God were absolutely sovereign, then it would be a contradiction to say that man is absolutely free. God is not absolutely sovereign to the point that He can call something that is not as if it actually were. For example, God cannot make squares into circles. That would be a contradiction. So absolute sovereignty is really not what is being talked about here. God, therefore, has chosen to give us the option and, within that framework, He cannot call us free while absolutely violating that freedom. Both poles exist–His sovereignty and our responsibility. We rest on the fact that God is just, that God is love, that God is good, and He woos us enough so that we may trust Him and yet gives us enough freedom so that we might know that this freedom cannot be transformed into coercion.”

-Ravi K. Zacharias/ 1987

@M16A4

Man is responsible because God holds him responsible. Were God not able to hold man responsible than man would not be responsible. God's being in control of everything is the only way we *could* be truly held responsible for what we do.  I liked ravi's rehtoric and such, but anytime someone refers to "tensions" in the bible, my hair stands on end. That's liberal professor-language for "these actually contradict but I just don't wanna say they do" - not saying ravi  had that in mind or even thought that way, but that's how the word is quite often used.

I like ravi a lot, but he has a habit of giving a very good bit of prose in reply that doesn't answer a question from time to time, and that drives me straight up a wall.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's what we've been talking about! That's what Calvinist Determinism is. If that's not what you believe, then what the hell are you ranting about? It's not consistent theologically. One post you're saying that God chooses who is saved (Calvinism) and another you're affirming that Christ saves - as if we don't believe that - which I've already stated twice that we all believe.

Don't bother writing a long post like that. So far all your long posts have come off to me as rants against people personally while being all over the place and arguing in circles.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't care what you think about the length of my posts. If you read them, you read them, and I'm not going to change their length based on what you think. You keep saying "arguing in circles" as if merely stating that is worthwhile, or repetition will convince people .. I see exactly zero reasons given to believe that accusation, and it's very ironic coming from you when you have been repeatedly asked to go to a specific chunk of text and show how it actually contains what you say it does ... and you just keep re-stating your conclusion, without proving it.

That's a serious strawman you have there regarding "calvinist determinism," and before you ask, no, I am not going to try and prove a negative. In 40+ years I have never encountered ANYONE I'd even remotely call reformed that teaches that  "faith is something done to people" and I am not going to change 40+ years on the basis of your merely *saying it is/must be that way.*

God saves, by choosing who will who will believe the gospel, he also has done what is necessary so that they will want to believe the gospel, and Christ has done the work that they need imputed on their account and taken their punishment, and it is our belief that he has done so on our part that is the means by which we become part of the group that is represented by Christ, not adam.  There is no inconsistency in that.

Also, could you refrain at the least from cursing at me?

EDIT: btw, when you've taken less time to read and reply to a post than it took me to type it, I won't believe you actually know what I meant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's a serious strawman you have there regarding "calvinist determinism," and before you ask, no, I am not going to try and prove a negative. In 40+ years I have never encountered ANYONE I'd even remotely call reformed that teaches that  "faith is something done to people" and I am not going to change 40+ years on the basis of your merely *saying it is/must be that way.*

God saves, by choosing who will who will believe the gospel, he also has done what is necessary so that they will want to believe the gospel...
View Quote
It's like you're not even reading your own posts.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

God saves, by choosing who will who will believe the gospel,
View Quote

And this is what I find offensive and we disagree on.

Foreknowledge is not the same as causation. If God were to for no reason select a person as a vessel for destruction, how is that just? How does that mesh with the life Jesus lived? We would both affirm I'm sure that God is just. Problem for you is that the traditional view supports that, how does yours?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s not for “no reason” it’s for His Glory.  

The logic behind it is, we are all sinners and deserve hell.  God chose to save some.  We get what we do not deserve.  God did not choose some.  They do get what they deserve.  God is just.  I do believe you are looking at it from a humanistic view.  God doesn’t owe us anything.  If there were 100 people in prison for and the warden or whoever let 10 go, and the rest had to finish their time..is he being unjust?  They all should be doing time.  The whole time.  The warden is showing mercy to some, and justice for the others.  It shows that if you break the law you will be punished, but also shows that he is merciful.  And also, no one who honestly seeks God will be turned away.  I think, scratch that, I know some people have the view that according to Reformed theology, if someone isn’t elect then no matter how hard they try, God will not allow them to be saved.  It’s not like that.  I know you disagree and that’s fine.  But I never get the unjust argument.   We as humans don’t decide what is just or unjust of God.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not for "no reason" it's for His Glory.  

The logic behind it is, we are all sinners and deserve hell.  God chose to save some.  We get what we do not deserve.  God did not choose some.  They do get what they deserve.  God is just.  I do believe you are looking at it from a humanistic view.  God doesn't owe us anything.  If there were 100 people in prison for and the warden or whoever let 10 go, and the rest had to finish their time..is he being unjust?  They all should be doing time.  The whole time.  The warden is showing mercy to some, and justice for the others.  It shows that if you break the law you will be punished, but also shows that he is merciful.  And also, no one who honestly seeks God will be turned away.  I think, scratch that, I know some people have the view that according to Reformed theology, if someone isn't elect then no matter how hard they try, God will not allow them to be saved.  It's not like that.  I know you disagree and that's fine.  But I never get the unjust argument.   We as humans don't decide what is just or unjust of God.
View Quote
That's a straw man argument and you know it if you've actually read the rebuttals of Calvinism.

The issue is that the Bible says that God desires all men to be saved, yet Calvinism sets up a system where God doesn't want all men to be saved.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Please share with us how that is a straw man argument.  That verse is not without debate and you know it.  What about women?  What about children?  So you are making an assumption.  All Chinese men? All white men?  How long does he go on wanting?  Till they die? Till he hardens their hearts?  He is all knowing so He knows before He creates them if they will be saved...Does He still hold out hope that they will be after He created them knowing they wouldn’t?  Or does it mean that He wishes that all his elect will be saved and He ensures that it will be so?  Or does it mean that If things were perfect all would be, but since there is sin it isn’t?   By saying all men means everyone you are introducing your presumption.  Which may very well be correct, but you are assuming.  God desires that no one sin.  However, we live in a fallen world and it is impossible not to sin.  But God desires it...So is God wrong by desiring us not to sin, knowing that it is impossible for us not to sin?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Please share with us how that is a straw man argument.  That verse is not without debate and you know it.  What about women?  What about children?  So you are making an assumption.  All Chinese men? All white men?  How long does he go on wanting?  Till they die? Till he hardens their hearts?  He is all knowing so He knows before He creates them if they will be saved...Does He still hold out hope that they will be after He created them knowing they wouldn't?  Or does it mean that He wishes that all his elect will be saved and He ensures that it will be so?  Or does it mean that If things were perfect all would be, but since there is sin it isn't?   By saying all men means everyone you are introducing your presumption.  Which may very well be correct, but you are assuming.  God desires that no one sin.  However, we live in a fallen world and it is impossible not to sin.  But God desires it...So is God wrong by desiring us not to sin, knowing that it is impossible for us not to sin?
View Quote

You're asking me questions you should have ask yourself concerning how consistent your beliefs fit the Bible.

Because the Bible says that God desires all these things, yet you're going to sign-on to a system that says that God is the reason these things didn't happen.

And let's not forget that Calvin himself thought that God willed for men to Fall.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're asking me questions you should have ask yourself concerning how consistent your beliefs fit the Bible.

Because the Bible says that God desires all these things, yet you're going to sign-on to a system that says that God is the reason these things didn't happen.

And let's not forget that Calvin himself thought that God willed for men to Fall.

View Quote

That's evasion.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's evasion.
View Quote
You're intimately familiar with that. So far you're 2 for 2 on accusing me of what you just did yourself in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Edit: Never mind, my comment was to much, us vs them. Just trying to understand why it seems some don't try to see the others point of view. Like shouldn't you want to understand both?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top