BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Please then explain John 1, who the other person then?
You can't deny there's clearly two persons spoken of here. And that they're both equated as God, both simultaneously with one another.

How do you resolve this?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.
You can't deny there's clearly two persons spoken of here. And that they're both equated as God, both simultaneously with one another.

How do you resolve this?
I am actually completely baffled as to how you resolve this. If as you say, there are 2 persons (assuming the word is a person). I understand you to be saying: In the beginning was the son, and the son was with the Father and the son was the Father. This is the modalisim  heresy.

The common understanding among translators is that the second word God does not refer to an identity, but a quality. Thus it should say: In the beginning the word was with God, and the word was divine (or some other word reflecting that the son shared qualities with the father).

The next part of the verse to be discussed is "the beginning". Mark, Luke, Acts, and 1 John all put "the beginning" as John the Baptist baptizing Jesus. The point being that this is the beginning of the new creation (See NET bible notes for John 1:1).
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am actually completely baffled as to how you resolve this. If as you say, there are 2 persons (assuming the word is a person). I understand you to be saying: In the beginning was the son, and the son was with the Father and the son was the Father. This is the modalisim  heresy.

The common understanding among translators is that the second word God does not refer to an identity, but a quality. Thus it should say: In the beginning the word was with God, and the word was divine (or some other word reflecting that the son shared qualities with the father).

The next part of the verse to be discussed is "the beginning". Mark, Luke, Acts, and 1 John all put "the beginning" as John the Baptist baptizing Jesus. The point being that this is the beginning of the new creation (See NET bible notes for John 1:1).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God.

How do you resolve this?

The net of it is you believe Jesus is lesser than the Father and not divine. Somehow lived perfectly (not born of man’s seed or similar) and is someone you’re thankful for but can also behaviorally become on this side of heaven.

This is not the view driven by the Holy Spirit. Like I mentioned earlier I hope you experience the true Jesus.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top