Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 7:03:55 PM EDT
Recently, as he was waiting for Hurricane Harvey to arrive, one of our pastors wrote this message down and sent it to his fellow congregants. Its since been circulated throughout our synod and I found it both comforting and inspiring. Perhaps it will help with you too...

Update from Pastor Andrew Schroer, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Edna, Texas

As I write this, Harvey is on his way to my house. I did not invite him. He is not welcome and yet here he comes.

By the time you read this, we will be in the middle of the storm. Sure, it may have stopped raining, but that doesn’t mean the storm will have ended. As I sit here right now, I can only imagine the days, weeks, and months to come as we seek to recover and rebuild.

Storms don’t always end when the rain stops.

Before Harvey decided to make his unsolicited visit, I was preparing to preach this Sunday. My sermon was going to be about Jesus walking on water and calming the storm in Matthew 14. God knew Harvey was coming.

In fact, one of the things that strikes me most about the account of Jesus walking on water is that Jesus sent his disciples into the storm.

It was dark. It had been a long day. The last few people who had experienced the feeding of the five thousand finally said their goodbyes and headed home.

Jesus told his disciples he was going to stay behind and he sent them into the storm. He knew what was coming and he sent them straight into it.

And this wasn’t just any storm. The disciples were experienced fisherman. They had spent many a night on the Sea of Galilee. They had survived many storms. Yet this storm was different. This storm was bigger. They were terrified.
Then they saw Jesus walking on the water to them. He invited Peter to trust him. He pulled him out of the water when Peter didn’t. He stepped into the boat and the storm stopped.

God often sends us directly into the storm – be it hurricanes, cancer, divorce, or whatever problems pound you with rain, hail and heartache. He sends us into the storm because he knows it will be for our good.

Jesus sent his disciples into the storm to teach them to trust in his power and love. Through the storms of life, God teaches us to trust in him and not in ourselves. He reminds us of what is truly important. He reminds us that we are not in control and shows us that he is.

That doesn’t mean it will be easy. Just like Peter, our feet are going to get wet. It’s going to be hard. But God doesn’t send us into the storm alone. He comes to us in his Word and promises. Though we cannot see him, he stands beside us, watching over us, protecting us and at times carrying us through the flood in his powerful arms.

And he promises us that the storm will end. Right now we are in the middle of it, but the pain and problems caused by Harvey will end one day. That’s God’s promise. Even if we struggle through storms our whole lives here on earth, Jesus has won for us a home in heaven where there are no hurricanes, floods or any other pain or problem.

As you stand in the middle of the storm, don’t forget that. Good will come from this. Your Savior is standing by your side. He will get you through.

The storm will end.

May God's peace be with you as you endure this. Know that many are praying for you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 7:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for taking the time to provide these words of truth and encouragement!

Fellow siblings of faith please continue to pray for those affected by the hurricanes, please pray for each other and those elected officials who run our loved country.

There truly is power in prayer!
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently, as he was waiting for Hurricane Harvey to arrive, one of our pastors wrote this message down and sent it to his fellow congregants. Its since been circulated throughout our synod and I found it both comforting and inspiring. Perhaps it will help with you too...
Update from Pastor Andrew Schroer, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Edna, Texas
God often sends us directly into the storm – be it hurricanes, cancer, divorce, or whatever problems pound you with rain, hail and heartache. He sends us into the storm because he knows it will be for our good.
Jesus sent his disciples into the storm to teach them to trust in his power and love. Through the storms of life, God teaches us to trust in him and not in ourselves. He reminds us of what is truly important. He reminds us that we are not in control and shows us that he is.

May God's peace be with you as you endure this. Know that many are praying for you.
View Quote

Truth right here.  This is the "meaning and purpose of life".  Thanks OP.  I'll share this message today as those of us in Florida are recovering.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top