Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2017 10:13:38 AM EDT
The Didache... also known as The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles, is a brief anonymous early Christian treatise, dated by most modern scholars to the first century.

Wiki article

PDF
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
From Scripture we know that there were many ancient books of a religious nature, which never became part of the Bible. Thus we read in 1 Chronicles 29:29,30. First Chronicles is a part of the Scriptures, but these books to which it refers as authorities are not. (See also 2 Chronicles 9:29, 12:15 and 13:22.)

Who determined which books belonged to the Old Testament? The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Old Testament made by the Jews living in Alexandria, Egypt, and completed by about the year 250 B.C., contains all the books we have in our Old Testament plus a few others. The Jewish Council of Jamnia in the year 90 A.D., however, accepted only those we have in our present Old Testament. Who was right, the Septuagint or the Council of Jamnia? And which of these was empowered to determine the number of the Old Testament books?

In determining the content of the Old Testament we are not dependent on the Old Testament believers living in Egypt around 250 B.C. or on the Jewish rabbis who gathered at Jamnia in A.D. 90. Rather, it is Christ who has made this decision for us.

On Easter evening Christ appeared to the apostles in the upper room and showed them his hands and his feet and ate before them to convince them that he was indeed the risen Lord. And he did more than that. He pointed them to the Scriptures, saying, ‘This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.)’ Luke continues: ‘Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures.’

In those words the Lord himself marks the perimeter of the Old Testament: the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms–the same books we at present have in our Old Testament. Furthermore, no others are quoted in the New Testament as Scripture. For us that is decisive. No one can know better than our Lord. That Ezra and the men who worked with him originally collected these books is granted, but that is not the decisive issue. What our Lord said, however, is.

Does our Lord Jesus lay down any principles we can apply in judging the New Testament? Indeed he does. He gives us an advanced list of the writers when he says to his disciples: ‘But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you’ (John 14:26). He assures us that what they speak in his name and write in his name is God’s Word.

This is also the witness of the rest of the New Testament. Paul, whom our Lord Jesus called as his apostle on the road to Damascus, wrote to the Galatians (1:11,12): ‘I want you to know, brothers, that the gospel I preached is not something that man made up. I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.’ And in Ephesians 2:19,20 he added: ‘Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.’ The term ‘prophets’ refers to the Old Testament, and the term ‘apostles’ to the New Testament. Such is the testimony of the New Testament to itself.

This is the way Paul speaks about himself in 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15: ‘But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.’ And in his first letter to them (1 Thessalonians 2:13) he had already stated: ‘And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is at work in you who believe.’ Paul taught that these writings of his were inspired, and the recipients of his writings recognized them as such.

The gathering and distribution of the New Testament writings began shortly after they were written. Paul, for example, tells the Colossians (4:16): ‘After this letter has been read to you, see that it is also read in the church of the Laodiceans.’ In other words, congregations and individuals who received these writings shared them with other congregations and individuals. In each case the testimony of the first recipients was available in addition to the witness of the individual writings themselves.

In 2 Peter 3:15 Peter speaks of the existence of a collection of Paul’s letters. ‘Bear in mind,’ he writes, ‘that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him. He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction.’

The evidence is clear. God saw to it that the inspired writings of the apostles and prophets, which constitute our Old and New Testaments were collected and preserved. His inspiration authenticated them all. And above all, we have the witness of the Scripture itself.

Thus, as we investigate the history of the canon, there can be no doubt that the canon was fixed not by men, not by the church, but by God. The 66 books we have in our Bible are the books inspired by the Holy Spirit. As such they are self-authenticating. Yes, our Bible is reliable; we can trust its promises; nothing is missing!”

The "catechism..." doesn't fit with the Scriptures.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
TAG/SCRIBE
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thus, as we investigate the history of the canon, there can be no doubt that the canon was fixed not by men, not by the church, but by God. The 66 72 books we have in our Bible are the books inspired by the Holy Spirit. As such they are self-authenticating. Yes, our Bible is reliable; we can trust its promises; nothing is missing!”

View Quote
Except that Jesus himself gave the apostles the power to loose and bind.

What in the Didache do you particulary object to? Or more succinctly, what 'does not fit with the Scriptures?'
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What in the Didache do you particulary object to? Or more succinctly, what 'does not fit with the Scriptures?'
View Quote
Has he read the Didache?

I also find it funny that people go "those old writings don't matter at all! Now, let me give you something by [insert minister here]."
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thus, as we investigate the history of the canon, there can be no doubt that the canon was fixed not by men, not by the church, but by God. The 66 72 books we have in our Bible are the books inspired by the Holy Spirit. As such they are self-authenticating. Yes, our Bible is reliable; we can trust its promises; nothing is missing!”

I've been looking for evidence of Apostle authorship.  Are you authenticating Apostle authorship by your "loosing and binding" comment? 
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The statement by WindKnot1-1 was that 'the canon was fixed not by men, not by the church, but by God. The 66 72 books we have in our Bible are the books inspired by the Holy Spirit.

My response was 'Except that Jesus himself gave the apostles the power to loose and bind.'
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been looking for evidence of Apostle authorship.  Are you authenticating Apostle authorship by your "loosing and binding" comment? 
View Quote
I don't think that has anything to do with what's being discussed here. What's your point or question? What difference does it make who the author or authors were?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top