Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you're not of the opinion that Vatican ii contradicts a lot of prior teachings?
View Quote
I would suggest reading the actual documents. There is little or nothing contentious in those documents. The abuse of those documents was carried out by, in particular, the American Catholic bishops and priest at the local level.

I respect traditional Latin mass attendees, and I understand the concerns of PPX and other traditional mass groups, but the sedevacantist stance is untenable to me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As far as I know I'm still a Catholic.  Confirmed and haven't gotten an excommunication letter yet.  That said, I walked away while in my teens.  The Church did not match my beliefs and I lost my faith.

I'd suggest finding a church you agree with instead of trying to excuse / accept one that you dont agree with.  What policies of the new pope bother you?  Maybe if you described your beliefs and asked the forum to point you at a church that matched them you'd be better off than trying to find a reason to become a Catholic.
View Quote
I disagree with this approach completely. Seek the historical and Biblical truth, not a 'church you agree with.'

I would suggest reading Crossing the Tiber by Steven Ray, its dense but extremely well documented.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cradle Catholic here. Would not change it for the world!
My wife is not Catholic but when we can get some time in the evenings she wants to start RCIA. Kinda hard with 2 kids under 19 months.
Best to you and may God guide you through the journey!
View Quote
We did it! Sign her up, make the time, be her sponsor. Learn, teach. It pays dividends!
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This is indicative of what is wrong with the Novus Ordo.  How on earth could a Protestant minister not require education regarding Catholicism?  He has been preaching heresy.  It is absurd to think that he understands Catholic theology.
View Quote
By the time a Protestant minister has decided to join the Catholic Church, he has likely set out on a course to disprove the validity of Catholicism for many years prior. In the process of that endeavor he has seen the truth and has studied well beyond the bounds of a typical RCIA class.

We can start another thread regarding the validity of sedevacantism if you like, but it helps no one by coming in and disdaining every comment by a mainstream Catholic. The whole movement is one of 'picking up your ball and playing elsewhere' just as Martin Luther did in the 16th century.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#5]
First RCIA class was Tuesday night, didn't go over much, just introduced ourselves and got a tour of the church. Really beautiful church here in Walton KY, they walked us through and explained all the different symbolism things in the church, fun little history lesson. Felt like coming home.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First RCIA class was Tuesday night, didn't go over much, just introduced ourselves and got a tour of the church. Really beautiful church here in Walton KY, they walked us through and explained all the different symbolism things in the church, fun little history lesson. Felt like coming home.
View Quote
That's wonderful!  Welcome home.

The time from starting RCIA to receiving the sacraments seemed like an eternity for me. Like you I had spent a lot of time reading and discerning.  

People spend a lot of time opining on problems in the Church, and many complaints are very valid, but once you realize it is THE Church, the problems become a lot easier to bear.

May God bless and give you many Graces. I will say a prayer for you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They claim loyalty to the Pope, even if they criticize him.  Several cardinals have gone on record that SSPX masses fulfill one's Sunday obligation.

There are definitely SSPX parishoners who have schismatic mindsets (probably many that are outright sedevacantists), but I do not believe that the SSPX itself is schismatic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

I would be weary of joining groups that are either explicitly or possibly schismatic.  CMRI is explicit in their schism, SSPX is still up for debate depending on who you talk to but still close enough to schism that I am willing to wait it out.  I would give a FPNI stamp to the post that mentioned the Primacy of Peter, if it were the FP.

You won't find much difference in perspectives on things like church history, liturgical history, and the like.  It's really about the validity of the occupants of the chair, and the state of the church.  Remember the decline of the church did not begin with Vatican II, rather, it was accelerated by it...  but not until the 70's.
They claim loyalty to the Pope, even if they criticize him.  Several cardinals have gone on record that SSPX masses fulfill one's Sunday obligation.

There are definitely SSPX parishoners who have schismatic mindsets (probably many that are outright sedevacantists), but I do not believe that the SSPX itself is schismatic.
Well, Francis has said their confessions "work".

Further notes: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/08/a-bishop-cautions-the-faithful-about-the-sspx/
Further explanation of that post: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2015/09/bp-morlino-d-madison-on-ewtn-talks-about-sspx/

And Bishop Morlino is one of the very good guys.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Went to the traditional mass this morning. That was a really good experience. It was really interesting seeing all the women wearing head scarves or whatever they're called, and just the attitude difference in the people attending vs the non demonintational church I had been going too
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was a Catholic in Name Only for a long time before I felt called back to my faith.  I was specifically called to the Latin Mass, which I had never attended before.  It has solidified and nourished my faith to an amazing extent.

You may find this article interesting: A priest's view on the Latin Mass vs. the Novus Ordo
View Quote
Definitely matches my initial impressions. I have a feeling I'll stick with the Latin mass personally unless I can't help but go to a new mass. I'm lucky that the church here has it weekly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went to the traditional mass this morning. That was a really good experience. It was really interesting seeing all the women wearing head scarves or whatever they're called, and just the attitude difference in the people attending vs the non demonintational church I had been going too
View Quote
Mantilla. My wife has a few. Technically speaking, any kind of head covering works (or none, the canon isn't in force regardless of where you go, but 90% of the women attracted to the TLM will want to wear one out of tradition, not legalism) so sometimes my wife has worn a hat.

And, yes, the attitude is very very different. Also different, notice how much the altar servers have to do and compare that to the novus ordo. An FSSP priest at a retreat I was at pointed out that being a NO altar server is boring whereas an EF one has lots of stuff to do, and learn, and there's a progression of rank.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I was raised Catholic but I left the church when I was about 16-18 years old. I am 51 now. When I was 20 I became non denominational. The issue at hand today is we ar seeing the great falling away the bible speaks about that will happen in the end days.

Many nondenominational churches are going in the wrong direction too. The main thing is to follow Jesus. Read the bible and do what God says. Be a pleasing child unto the Lord.

Tradition and rituals will get in your way. Have a sincere heart and read the bible.

Remember salvation is a gift. You can not earn it.

Good works do not a salvation make!

Grace.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tradition and rituals will get in your way.  
View Quote
No, not really.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, not really.
View Quote
What if I make my own tradition of just being a good person and reading the Bible?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What if I make my own tradition of just being a good person and reading the Bible?
View Quote
Where did Jesus tell us to do that? That just doing what we felt was correct based upon written Scripture was sufficient for salvation?
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry.  I was being facetious.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
So in Walton there is All Saints and the SSPX church across 75.  All Saints also happens to have a regular Latin mass (Fr. Valentine still does it?).  IMO a high mass at the SSPX followed by a stop in their bookstore is a must, even if you choose not to attend there.

Then there is the MSJB church in Park Hills (more conservative).  All 3 have what seems to me to be slightly different flavors of Catholicism so you have lots of choices and should be in good hands.  Wish I lived a little further north--it's an hour drive for me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
CMRI Chapel in Kentucky

St. Vincent Ferrer Mission
Fr. Michael Oswalt  
Sunday evening Mass once a month
Call (502) 545-1730 for information.

Bishop Dolan is in West Chester, Ohio(North of Cinci)
View Quote
So this is supposedly in Lawrenceburg somewhere?  What you're saying is CMRI has mass in my backyard and nobody told me about it?  ...interesting.  I'm not saying I'm a sedevacantist, but I thought I would've known about this given the people I talk to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So in Walton there is All Saints and the SSPX church across 75.  All Saints also happens to have a regular Latin mass (Fr. Valentine still does it?).  IMO a high mass at the SSPX followed by a stop in their bookstore is a must, even if you choose not to attend there.

Then there is the MSJB church in Park Hills (more conservative).  All 3 have what seems to me to be slightly different flavors of Catholicism so you have lots of choices and should be in good hands.  Wish I lived a little further north--it's an hour drive for me.
View Quote
All Saints is where I've been going, I do plan on checking out the SSPX church eventually.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I wasn't going to say a thing. But I will.

As a cradle Catholic, educated 12 years in the Catholic system I would say this to anyone.

Don't join ANY church until you can read the Bible and understand it. You don't need a pope or priest or pastor to tell you what it says. Tradition means nothing.

If you are serious about the truth, you can read "50 Years In The Church Of Rome" by Charles Chinnquay.

I can say to you, and everyone else, that a rat can never eat my God. The errors in the Catholic Church are so many I can't list the all. The primacy of Peter, aricular confession, the blasphemous mass, transubstatiation...it goes on and on. Prayer to and for the dead, idol worship, celebacy of the priesthood.

I'm not knocking anyone for their beliefs. Just pointing out the simple errors that come up. Like the perpetual virginity of Mary is another. Directly contradicts the Bible. Just like the assumption of Mary. The pope made that dogma in the 1950's. How does an unerring church make that mistake?

Again before joining ANY church study for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

As a cradle Catholic, educated 12 years in the Catholic system I would say this to anyone.

Don't join ANY church until you can read the Bible and understand it. You don't need a pope or priest or pastor to tell you what it says. Tradition means nothing.

If you are serious about the truth, you can read "50 Years In The Church Of Rome" by Charles Chinnquay.

I can say to you, and everyone else, that a rat can never eat my God. The errors in the Catholic Church are so many I can't list the all. The primacy of Peter, aricular confession, the blasphemous mass, transubstatiation...it goes on and on. Prayer to and for the dead, idol worship, celebacy of the priesthood.

I'm not knocking anyone for their beliefs. Just pointing out the simple errors that come up. Like the perpetual virginity of Mary is another. Directly contradicts the Bible. Just like the assumption of Mary. The pope made that dogma in the 1950's. How does an unerring church make that mistake?

View Quote
I don't even know where to start with this, but assuming you're not trolling, I'll say that the highlighted part is one of the reasons I homeschool my kids.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep. Homeschooled my own kids. Would never put them through a parochial education.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#26]
RCIA is awesome. I’ve thought about going through it as a refresher course.
I converted to Catholicism 35 years ago from Southern Baptist.
I love the Catholic Church and I have traveled around the world, I have been to mass in every country I’ve been to and regardless of the language spoken, I know what is going on in the mass and I feel welcome and at home.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If that's the case why do protestant denominations continually fracture into more and more different sects each wit a slightly tweaked interpretation of scripture? Everyone interprets things differently, that's why the church is needed for context and historicity to maintain accuracy.

Primacy of Peter seems pretty straight forward to me, Christ singled him out pretty explicitly.

How exactly is the mass blasphemous?

Transubstantiation is pretty clear cut. Christ said the words this is my body and blood. He also said anyone who doesn't eat His flesh or drink His blood will never no ever lasting life.

Prayer for the dead is Biblical. Granted, Luther had to remove a bunch of books from the Bible to make his argument.

Idol worship? lol.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd answer duramax but I can't do it in under 2000 characters. Everything you posted is easily Biblically refuted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd answer duramax but I can't do it in under 2000 characters. Everything you posted is easily Biblically refuted.
View Quote
Maybe break it into 2 posts?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I thought of that. Maybe I have a setting wrong because it seems others here post more than 2000 characters. I hate breaking stuff up. My 9th grade education means I like to keep my thought going. If I start another page I'll lose my train of though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#31]
You can save your energy honestly I’ve heard all the arguments against the Catholic Church before. I stand by my belief that it is the one true church founded by Christ at the great commission and that it’s bishops are the successors of apostles. I really doubt you have some new way of saying something I’ve heard a thousand times.

I’m not trying to sound like a jerk if that’s the case, but the church I used to go to already spent a lot of time trying to convince me of how wrong the Catholic Church is and I just get a little tired of hearing it. I don’t find the arguments compelling and the evidence used is shaky at best.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You can save your energy honestly I’ve heard all the arguments against the Catholic Church before. I stand by my belief that it is the one true church founded by Christ at the great commission and that it’s bishops are the successors of apostles. I really doubt you have some new way of saying something I’ve heard a thousand times.

I’m not trying to sound like a jerk if that’s the case, but the church I used to go to already spent a lot of time trying to convince me of how wrong the Catholic Church is and I just get a little tired of hearing it. I don’t find the arguments compelling and the evidence used is shaky at best.
View Quote
Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. It doesn't change the truth. The doctrine of Petrine primacy makes Christ a liar does it not? Didn't Christ say He would bring to YOUR remembrance all the things which He said? You don't need a pope, priest or pastor to tell you what the Bible says. CHrist will teach you. All through the Bible Christ claims to be the ROCK on which the church would be founded, the stone cut out without hands. A simple misinterpretation of a simple passage and you end up with a sinning, erring, fallen mortal man claiming to be the head of the church. There is zero relation between all the popes, except on sinner laid his hands on another sinner and proclaimed him the successor of Peter, who BTW, did NOT start the gentile church. That would be Paul.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if you believe me or not. It doesn't change the truth. The doctrine of Petrine primacy makes Christ a liar does it not? Didn't Christ say He would bring to YOUR remembrance all the things which He said? You don't need a pope, priest or pastor to tell you what the Bible says. CHrist will teach you. All through the Bible Christ claims to be the ROCK on which the church would be founded, the stone cut out without hands. A simple misinterpretation of a simple passage and you end up with a sinning, erring, fallen mortal man claiming to be the head of the church. There is zero relation between all the popes, except on sinner laid his hands on another sinner and proclaimed him the successor of Peter, who BTW, did NOT start the gentile church. That would be Paul.
View Quote
I'm sure the oldest and largest Christian denomination had it wrong 1500 years, good thing that German guy was able to figure it out and save everyone from error
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm in agreement with Duramaxman.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:14:49 PM EDT
[#35]
What does it cost to join these days is probably what you should be asking.  They have computerized records and bar coded collection envelopes to be sure you are making your proper "donations".  

There will also be some level of required indoctrination or training that is going to cost you.  

Got a divorce in your past?  Extra cost.  

You also need to find a church with services in your language of choice.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I go to a traditional mass every Sunday at noon (screw the nfl) and I love it.
Incredible pipe organ music with opera singers, it is quite an experience.

Very very reverent, no need for giant TV screens all over the place as it isn't "all about the priest", it is all about the sacrifice.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What does it cost to join these days is probably what you should be asking.  They have computerized records and bar coded collection envelopes to be sure you are making your proper "donations".  

There will also be some level of required indoctrination or training that is going to cost you.  

View Quote
Do you go to a Catholic church? Is that where you gain this "knowledge"?

I do go to one and I have no idea where you get theses ideas from.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
So far I've gotten a free copy of the Cathechism, a free rosary, a free prayer book, and some other literature.

Yes, I am attending classes to learn the doctrine. The fact that other churches don't require this strikes me as odd, and is probably why most "Christian's" have no idea what they're claiming to believe.

If you divorce and remarry you're an adulterer. So yeah, that would be present problems if you're supposed to be trying not to sin.

Language of choice is Latin, which was easy enough to find.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Do you go to a Catholic church? Is that where you gain this "knowledge"?

I do go to one and I have no idea where you get theses ideas from.
View Quote
I always find the criticisms of the Catholic Church hilarious.

90% of protestant identity isn't even related to what they believe, it's just proving how wrong Catholics are in their opinion.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:05:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
The funny thing is I donate only cash at Mass and I'm still allowed in every weekend.

Yes, there is a mild cost to a marriage tribunal, which is nominal and usually waived in cases of proven need...

Because the Catholic Church somewhat uniquely actually applies what we all agree Jesus said.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'm sure the oldest and largest Christian denomination had it wrong 1500 years, good thing that German guy was able to figure it out and save everyone from error
View Quote
So age and length means correct? That isn't logical.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Read the Bible front to back, still convinced that the Catholic Church is correct.
View Quote
Ok, change my mind.

Show me purgatory. Transubstatiation. Show me aricular confession. Show me celibacy of the priesthood.

I can learn new things all the time. But you have to show me from the Bible.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I always find the criticisms of the Catholic Church hilarious.

90% of protestant identity isn't even related to what they believe, it's just proving how wrong Catholics are in their opinion.
View Quote
I don't know what Protestant identity even is. Like I said,  I grew up Catholic. It's simple to see the errors. What was startling to me is Protestants who have no desire to be Protestant, and the general ignorance of the history of both Catholicism and Protestantism.

If a Protestant is doing the things of a Catholic, they are Catholic. The sad fact is both can't be correct. In the end there are going to become pissed off people who are lost because they listened to liars. Priests know the truth. More than one funeral I've taken notes and then questioned the priest on the stupid things he said durning the mass. Not one, ever, has had an answer to what they said.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ok, change my mind.

Show me purgatory. Transubstatiation. Show me aricular confession. Show me celibacy of the priesthood.

View Quote
You do know that Martin Luther believed in Transsubstaniation, right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Ok, change my mind.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the Bible front to back, still convinced that the Catholic Church is correct.
Ok, change my mind.

It’s right below “Rapture.”

Let me add, if you are content in your place of worship then I’m happy for you.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:37:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what? Was Luther called to correct all the errors of the Catholics or was he called just to get the ball rolling?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
BTW, Luther said don't call yourselves Lutherans when I'm gone. His body wasn't in the dirt yet, and people were calling themselves Lutheran.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you realize that everything you have posted about has been discussed at least once in depth in this forum within the past three months?  Do a search of Catholic thread older than 30 days, and if you see something that has not been covered, please do bring it up.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It’s right below “Rapture.”

Let me add, if you are content in your place of worship then I’m happy for you.
View Quote
If he's content in a place of worship that is not Catholic, I am sad for him.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top