Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 8:01:53 AM EDT
I know I could ask my pastor but I value your input so thought I'd start here.
  Anyway 6 months ago started a new job.  Previously knew co-worker but just a little.
  He and I start talking more and more, don't remember how it got brought up but he says "oh I don't believe in God anymore"
   I didn't know what to say except oh really why what happened? He goes on to tell me last year he lost his father to cancer. Apparently it was a long painful battle.  
   He said he didn't believe anymore because why would God let that happen to a good man and why did it have to be so drawn out and painful etc.
    I didn't know what to say. Caught me of guard and I didnt know what to say except wow I am sorry for your loss I can't imagine etc.
   I notice he uses the lords name in vain often. I hate hearing it. I've told him that and sometimes he catches himself but I can tell it's just a regular thing for him now...
    He has a 6/7 year old daughter and a wife. Not sure of the wife's beliefs.
   I know nothing I can say will "help" but maybe I can come up with something that will open up the communication on the subject or get him thinking at least?
  I know the text book answer of course = we all sinners fallen world etc. I just don't think that will help in this situation?
   Anyway thanks for any help!
Hopefully I'll be more prepared when it gets brought up again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't discuss religion at work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Was this person's father a believer?
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI.

You could just STFU.

There are a lot of things that you should not discuss at work, religion, sex, your pay, & a lot more.  Ultimately it's to your benefit.  You don't want to be "that guy."
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I would leave him alone, it's not your place to pressure religion upon him.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the real world.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:33:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm surprised to see these types of replies in the religion section of the forum....
  It's not my place to "push" religion on him?
STFU at work?
Don't talk about religion at work?
Etc etc.

I'm assuming those guys that posted didn't realize it was the religion forum.

I'll do my best to answer those replies though.
  1st if you are a Christian do you honestly think God would be ok with you NOT  talking about him at your place of employment? Only because it's "at work"???
   I will talk about my faith any where I can. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of it.
  And I dknt think I would be "pushing" religion on him. If you re read what I wrote it said he had faith at one time and now lost it. And he was the one that started the conversation about himself losing faith.  
  Almost seams like he needs help dealing with his loss.  I don't think it would help him for me to just "STFU" like someone suggested.

And to the other guy that asked if my friends dad was Christian.... I'm not sure to be honest? Def a good question though if it ever gets brought up again!
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had the religion talk at work on many occasions especially with my fellow supervisor for hours at a time while traveling. Some people are looking for answers and God places us in these people's lives to for a reason. I took this job a year ago because I felt that there was a reason I needed to go there. They called me up to come work for them as I never even heard of them prior to that. The Lord said not to deny him and spread the gospel so at times that means while at work also. Yeah I know all about HR policies but do it in a way that isn't overbearing or unwanted. I've even had a talk with my boss when I was feeling down one time and with a couple of my employees so know your environment. Most people who work where I do are Christians and it's a small plant but we're also part of a major Global organization though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm surprised to see these types of replies in the religion section of the forum....
  It's not my place to "push" religion on him?
STFU at work?
Don't talk about religion at work?
Etc etc.

I'm assuming those guys that posted didn't realize it was the religion forum.

I'll do my best to answer those replies though.
  1st if you are a Christian do you honestly think God would be ok with you NOT  talking about him at your place of employment? Only because it's "at work"???
   I will talk about my faith any where I can. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of it.
  And I dknt think I would be "pushing" religion on him. If you re read what I wrote it said he had faith at one time and now lost it. And he was the one that started the conversation about himself losing faith.  
  Almost seams like he needs help dealing with his loss.  I don't think it would help him for me to just "STFU" like someone suggested.

And to the other guy that asked if my friends dad was Christian.... I'm not sure to be honest? Def a good question though if it ever gets brought up again!
View Quote
Don't make the mistake in thinking that everyone in the religion section is religious.

My advice - be his friend, hurt with the hurting, and be a positive witness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top