Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2017 5:27:58 PM EDT
Here it is--the heart of the controversy--carved in stone lo these 50+ years on an exterior corner of the Henderson County, TN Courthouse. The Freedom From Religion Foundation, (FFRF), has sent a threatening letter to Dan Hughes of Henderson County about this offensive sight.

Dr. Bill Donahue comments about this:

Most atheists are not terrified by religion, but the activists in their ranks are in a state of hysteria these days. Prominent among them is the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF).

FFRF has written a threatening letter to Dan Hughes, mayor of Henderson County in Tennessee. The issue? A biblical verse from Psalms etched in the wall of the local county courthouse; it has been there for more than a half century.

It's time for FFRF to do the manly thing and sue the U.S. Supreme Court.

If the militant atheists were to visit the Supreme Court, they would be apoplectic before entering: Moses and the Ten Commandments are inscribed near the top of the building.

Assuming they survived this indignity, their sensibilities would be assaulted again—even before they actually entered—by noting the Ten Commandments engraved on the lower portion of the two oak doors.

EMS personnel would have to be summoned next: inside the high court, right above where the Justices sit, is another display of the Ten Commandments.

If the atheist fundamentalists think they can escape God by walking around Washington, they are wrong: the federal buildings and the monuments will give them no relief—Christian proverbs and images are  everywhere, so much so that they pose a clear and present danger to their health.

Congress needs to authorize warning signs in the D.C. airports, alerting atheist lunatics of the need to guard their health before walking the halls of government. That would be the Christian thing to do.
View Quote
Thanks for these suggestions, Dr. Bill, but I am a simple man with a simple solution: "Y'all that are offended--just don't look at it!" That squares with what a local Vol said about this: "“It's a big Bible Belt around here, and you know, if they don't like it, they don't have to read it,” Henderson County resident Adam Pinte said.

Ahem--SCOTUS Doors:
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
whofuckincares.jpg
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I meet more Christians that are concerned about atheists than I meet atheists who care about any kind of stuff like this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I meet more Christians that are concerned about atheists than I meet atheists who care about any kind of stuff like this.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yep.
View Quote
Simple statistics.

Lets say 5% of atheists get triggered by this type of shit, and 5% of Christians get a boner because of it. Everyone else goes about their lives not noticing or caring and only think about it when they stumble across a news story like this. Then, by in large, they still don't care.

Since there are 20 times as many people who consider themselves Christians in the US than consider themselves atheists, it makes sense you'll run in to many more of the christian 5% than the atheist 5%.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Atheism claims there is no God.  Therefore every time I see a sign that doesn't mention God, it is an Athiest sign.  Many more of those around.  One way to look at it...

The other way is...God created everything.  Mans ability to reason comes directly from God.  So every sign, whether it mentions God or not, is a direct reference to His majesty.

By this rejection of God, agnosticism has embraced complete relativism. Yet this relativism must furnish a basis for the rejection of the absolute. Accordingly, the standard of self-contradiction taken for granted by antitheistic thought presupposes the absolute for its operation. Antitheism presupposes theism. One must stand upon the solid ground of theism to be an effective antitheist.

(Cornelius Van Til, A Survey of Christian Epistemology, p. xi)
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#6]
They should remove it and replace it with a sign that says "the FFRF can go fuck themselves." Absolutely a true statement, and non-religious!
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever happened to sun worship? You know, praying to that big fireball in the sky that watches everything, gives life to everything, warms you just by experiencing its presence... It's a pretty sound concept.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever happened to sun worship? You know, praying to that big fireball in the sky that watches everything, gives life to everything, warms you just by experiencing its presence... It's a pretty sound concept.
View Quote
I think that was George Carlin's choice.

He had a monologue on the subject of religion, where he mentioned this choice of his.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Can a court be sued?

Is this even possible?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Many thanks for all the replies!

Can a court be sued?

Is this even possible?
View Quote
as a retired "court jester" myself, I'd have to say "yes." a lot of Federal property seizure lawsuits name as a defendant: "one bag of crisp new $100 bills," or "a 2017 Cadillac Escalade VIN #" or some such. happens daily. try not paying your tribute to the IRS and see how quick they can "attach" or name a piece of your property, like your boat or even toolbox, as a defendant!

the trick, tho, is enforcing a court judgment against a "thing" or having it "comply" with a court order. like: "I wish to take the statement under oath of the Henderson County Courthouse..."

companies, organizations, even armies all operate by means of people. it's THEY that get named also as defendants and suffer the consequences of their actions (or lack thereof) or enjoy the fruits of a court victory. it's why a lot of governments--through their elected officials-- cave in to unreasonable demands. they fear a court action or judgment against them personally (even though they may have governmental immunity.) also, most governments carry insurance policies naming their officials for various coverages. yet, when a city or county's insurance carrier pays out a claim, the local voters get riled up and, and of course premiums escalate or coverage becomes unavailable. a sticky wicket, eh?

but, I digressed. back to the issue, can anyone here argue that life 50 years ago, (when this courthouse quote was carved) was not easier, simpler, and more wholesome WITH religious references in public places than it is nowadays? In the seven decades I've lived, the 1940s and 1950s were truly "golden" compared to what I see today. it's hard explaining to people just how great America was back then.--with religion in the public places. just my opinion....

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 1:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
this may be true, but are they filing law suits over it?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#14]
We don't need comments like that in this forum ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:10:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the response.
View Quote
You're welcome, Him!
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Touché.

No, but a sizable minority does seem to focus on getting  legislation passed that in the 1776-1788 time frame, probably would have not faired so well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top