BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2017 8:17:17 PM EDT
Having a few beers, not a GD topic.

Was watching Seven, got to thinking.

I understand the others, I really do.

Even on a personal level.

Envy: Good for you for being successful.
Sloth: Horrible attribute.
Pride: Never be above listening to others, and thinking you're always correct.
Greed: Have a concious.
Lust: Seek stability and meaningful relationships over carnal desires.
Gluttony: Do I even need to post? Obviously abhorrent.

Wrath is different to me. Heck, God has wrath, and we are made in his image.

Furthermore, sometimes evil people deserve wrath because of their actions.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Because God said "Vengence is mine"
To seek revenge is to be insubordinate.

Also, God granted man Liberty. It's his to give and his to take. It is not ours to take.

I struggle with this. Some circumstances would make it hard to abide this law.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
If we are made in God's image, then are not we righteous in punishing the wicked?

God; nor Jesus, displayed Sloth, Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Pride, or greed.

Jesus, as a counterpoint, did not display wrath either.

However, if we are children of God, made in his image, and Jesus died for our sins, I'd think wrath to be the most justified.

I was simply watching a movie, and thought about this.

Take the example of Gary Plauche.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Jesus sure took exception to how some businessmen were using the temple.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Having a few beers, not a GD topic.

Was watching Seven, got to thinking.

I understand the others, I really do.

Even on a personal level.

Envy: Good for you for being successful.
Sloth: Horrible attribute.
Pride: Never be above listening to others, and thinking you're always correct.
Greed: Have a concious.
Lust: Seek stability and meaningful relationships over carnal desires.
Gluttony: Do I even need to post? Obviously abhorrent.

Wrath is different to me. Heck, God has wrath, and we are made in his image.

Furthermore, sometimes evil people deserve wrath because of their actions.

Thoughts?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#5]
"Made in God's image" <> made gods.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Because look at it this way.

Yes, many people in this world do deserve the wrath of the righteous, but where the problem arises is when it gets personal. It stops being cold, hard justice and turns into black vengeance.

Say, your son was killed by a psychopath, so you track him down and brutally murder him. Well, as it turns out, that psycho has a brother, who has now sworn vengeance on YOU.

It's the reason for the saying "When you seek revenge, always seek two graves"

Besides that, anger is, when uncontrolled, extremely impulsive, and can lead men into doing something very, very irrational, something they otherwise would not do with a calmer disposition.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
My first question is "Are the Seven Deadly Sins Biblical?  Please cite chapter and verse where this list is presented."  Separate verses on each one are an acceptable substitute, but I will question why Man has lumped them together if God has not.

My next question is "In what way does wrath differ from anger?"  God understands that we will be angry.  I understand that, for the reasons cited in someone else's post in this thread, we should not rage.

Ephesians 4:26 New American Standard Bible (NASB)

Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger...
View Quote
Please note that I don't have answers, only questions.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I think there is difference between Wrath and Justice.

Some do need killing. But to do it justly, keeps from falling into one of the other sins.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That's why God gives government the authority for the death penalty.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some do need killing. But to do it justly, keeps from falling into one of the other sins.
View Quote
Isn't that a tough line to draw?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not when it's a cut and dry case, and on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not when it's a cut and dry case, and on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And we've certainly never seen that go sideways, right?

As I see it, sin/morality revolves around the ideas that keep a society together and functioning. Wrath, as opposed to justice has the tendency to throw society's into disorder and chaos. So called "justified" wrath may not be justified when all the facts shake out under calm examination, and even if they do, the other side (there's always the "other" side to anything) may (and probably will) declare that the wrath was unjustified, perpetuating the cycle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not with the Virtues and morality God gave us as a guide.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Amen!
And, we have His statutes and ordinances to guide us.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He's allowed to.  Vengeance is his, after all. 

Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Romans 12:19)
View Quote
Let he who is without sin...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let me give a quick example.

Someone kills your wife or kid. Let's say you're right there when it happens. 100% chance it's them that did it.

Wouldn't killing them be both just, and wrathful?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Wrath is destroying with revenge in mind.  To do that is a sin.  God is ultimately the soverign master and ruler over everything.  He passed down to mankind laws.  Among these were moral and civil.  Moral being in this case " do not murder". However on the civil side there was a penalty for murder.  If you saw your family gunned down, and the gun turned towards you, you have every right to defend yourself.  If however, the gun was dropped and hands went up, it became a civil matter.  You would rightly feel anger, beyond anything ever felt before, but to act on it would presuppose that you were the judge, executioner and victim. In Gods law these were separate and distinct roles.  

If you saw some bum on the side of the road get shot and then the murderer threw down the gun and raised his hands would you draw down on him and shoot him? I hope not.  In both cases the same thing ( murder ) happened.  The difference is the emotional involvement.  Gods law removes that aspect and let's morality instead of emotions be the deciding factor.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wrath is destroying with revenge in mind.  To do that is a sin.  God is ultimately the soverign master and ruler over everything.  He passed down to mankind laws.  Among these were moral and civil.  Moral being in this case " do not murder". However on the civil side there was a penalty for murder.  If you saw your family gunned down, and the gun turned towards you, you have every right to defend yourself.  If however, the gun was dropped and hands went up, it became a civil matter.  You would rightly feel anger, beyond anything ever felt before, but to act on it would presuppose that you were the judge, executioner and victim. In Gods law these were separate and distinct roles.  

If you saw some bum on the side of the road get shot and then the murderer threw down the gun and raised his hands would you draw down on him and shoot him? I hope not.  In both cases the same thing ( murder ) happened.  The difference is the emotional involvement.  Gods law removes that aspect and let's morality instead of emotions be the deciding factor.
View Quote
That's an excellent counterpoint.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:35:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Someone kills your wife or kid. Let's say you're right there when it happens. 100% chance it's them that did it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you killed him right then and there... could possibly be wrath. Unless it was in self defense. You would need to supress rage for justice.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
As a gun toting heathen who looks at morality in humanist terms and sees wrath as a definite moral sin, that'd be a bitch of a situation. Human element and all that...

I suppose this is why ultimate judgment in the eyes of the law requires the human component (jury of peers) and why cases like that of David Barajas (killed the drunk driver that killed his sons, found not guilty) tend to get decided the way they do.

Wrath is a sin, but I'd be lying if I said I would have been able to convict him and sleep at night afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He's allowed to.  Vengeance is his, after all. 

Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. (Romans 12:19)
View Quote
Vengeance and wrath aren't the same thing, and Jesus wasn't being vengeful in that temple.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top