User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2017 11:50:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Good for you! CONGRATS!

I hear ya. Been sitting on my bum for quite a few years and need to get involved in my Parish as well. Ya got me MOTIVATED, Sir!

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations.

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Kudos to you Sir!
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Kudo's Sir, does "Does not play well with others" no longer apply then
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Way to go. Mr. AF is also a 3rd.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#7]
They found out I own a tux and have been all over me to move up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats.  Just entered first degree myself
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What does owning a tux have to do with the quality of a candidate?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats!

I am 4th degree or 1st degree. I can't remember which is the lowest But, I haven't even attended one meeting. My vocation right now is to my family.

I will one day be more focused on it.

Great job!

Maybe we will run into each other. Being in tge same diocese and all.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it is a joke.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
welcome to the freemasons :)
View Quote
It was established to counter Catholic Mason membership and to assist widows and orphans. Not a freemason fraternity.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Is KOC basically the Masonic Lodge for Roman Catholics?
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 4:52:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is KOC basically the Masonic Lodge for Roman Catholics?
View Quote
No
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:24:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

yes i have studied a good bit of the history of both organizations. Both are excellent orgs. i just had give him a ribbing.
View Quote
Understand. Sorry, my sarcasm meter is glichy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]
3rd Degree Bingo Caller here!!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
So, based on today I guess Eric Shinseki is a knight?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Thoughts on the new Fourth Degree uniforms?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thoughts on the new Fourth Degree uniforms?
View Quote
When I joined the KoC it was always my dream to get involved, work hard, and maybe some day I too could look like a prep school student, or museum tour guide.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:41:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Now, I am not KofC, but I understand that the order was founded as a counter to Free Masonry.  Is that accurate?

Also, in my study of Catholic history, I have found that the Wiki pages are a good place to start, but don't paint the whole picture from the Catholic perspective.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
So wrong
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Congrats!

I'm a 4th degree knight.  Find out when they are doing the 4th degree in your area and go and do it.  Then you can buy yourself a sword!
View Quote

...have you seen the new uniform?

ETA: I see it was already covered.  Congrats, Z.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Congratulations from a 3rd Degree Knight.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was established to counter Catholic Mason membership and to assist widows and orphans. Not a freemason fraternity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always found that interesting. Seems it would have made more sense to expend an existing lay order and tie it to local Parishes. But, politics makes it easier to start from scratch, I guess, and those Knights didn't have a presence in the US until the late 1920s. Politics probably also explains why the US has three separate associations.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Off-topic follow-up question: The KoC's namesake Columbus wasn't the nicest guy in the world. Reading the Wikipedia entry makes him look pretty bad. Maybe not any worse than most of his contemporaries, but not a good role model I would say. Now at the time of the founding of the KoC, that much was probably known about Columbus and it was a way to make the Knights reflect the spirit of patriotism so I can see how it happened.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Italian immigrants weren't always feeling all that welcome at the time and Colombos was a source of national "we were here first" pride for those overwhelmed with WASP culture.

I doubt there was much more thought applied.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was more to it than that. At the time, social fraternities and men's groups were extremely popular, and Father McGivney wanted a more wholesome group for young men with strong ties to the church. That, and of course his deep desire to find a way to help orphans and widows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always found that interesting. Seems it would have made more sense to expend an existing lay order and tie it to local Parishes. But, politics makes it easier to start from scratch, I guess, and those Knights didn't have a presence in the US until the late 1920s. Politics probably also explains why the US has three separate associations.
There was more to it than that. At the time, social fraternities and men's groups were extremely popular, and Father McGivney wanted a more wholesome group for young men with strong ties to the church. That, and of course his deep desire to find a way to help orphans and widows.
Sounds like an ideal role for expanding and revamping the ol' Knights Hospitaller and getting them a strong foothold in the US of A.

But, they were doing their own thing, and a new org was born.

Now, they essentially compete, with the Malta folks seemingly less parish-focused and more order-focused.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just got an email from the Grand Knight. Sounds like he wants to pawn a committee off on me already. That's what you get for being helpful. 
View Quote
Perhaps a Autist Wrangler position has opened up and they know your background as a GD Mod.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sounds like an ideal role for expanding and revamping the ol' Knights Hospitaller and getting them a strong foothold in the US of A.

Now, they essentially compete, with the Malta folks seemingly less parish-focused and more order-focused.
View Quote
It seems that Hospitaller orders are far more active in Europe than the US.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have their own churches in Europe... never really understood how that works, exactly. They also run ambulance services, still have hospitals. But, they're in many ways part of a long tradition of orders wanting to separate or exclude themselves from the larger society (monastic ones being the most glaring example). I like the Knights of Columbus becuase they are local Parish community focused, I just find it a bit absurd that the American church essentially "culturally appropriated" terminology and concepts that started out... in the Church. The Masons are play acting. The Church still has no-shit medieval orders to work with, and in the 19th century the Hospitalers were struggling to redefine themselves as a sovereign entities without sovereign territory. I think a more community-focused Hospitaler movement would have been an ideal "American" spin on an ever-changing institution and help tie things to history. But. I guess I'm overly sentimental to history and think it would be "cool" for people in Parish communities to have the opportunity to be knighted into a thousand year old organization with international reach.

The first Hospitalers didn't make it the the U.S. until the 1920s, IIRC. They're apparently active in the DC area. But I've never interacted with them.

The Holy See's military advisor to the OSCE in Vienna was a Knight of Malta - and retired Italian General. I got the impression from him that he associate with them for much the same reason American associate with the Knights of Columbus.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Congrats Brother Knight!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 7:53:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Holy See's military advisor to the OSCE in Vienna was a Knight of Malta - and retired Italian General. I got the impression from him that he associate with them for much the same reason American associate with the Knights of Columbus.
View Quote
Coolest job ever. I'd be that guys flag aide tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
But. I guess I'm overly sentimental to history and think it would be "cool" for people in Parish communities to have the opportunity to be knighted into a thousand year old organization with international reach.
View Quote
See my signature mate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I know our parish couldn't do without these men. I used to be more involved but just haven't had the time.

Zhukov, have you seen the new uniforms?
AF
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
See my signature mate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But. I guess I'm overly sentimental to history and think it would be "cool" for people in Parish communities to have the opportunity to be knighted into a thousand year old organization with international reach.
See my signature mate.
I had to google that to realize it was associated with an Order.

We could probably do a thread about the various groups out there, most of us aren't exposed to them but through acquaintences or personal interaction.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I think a more community-focused Hospitaler movement would have been an ideal "American" spin on an ever-changing institution and help tie things to history. But. I guess I'm overly sentimental to history and think it would be "cool" for people in Parish communities to have the opportunity to be knighted into a thousand year old organization with international reach.
View Quote
At least in the US, its my impression that the Knights are an invitation only organization and intended to remain so, where the KoC was always an open to the public fraternal organization.

But, yes, agreed to the idea that an older extinct order would be better than a shake and bake one. However, I wouldn't be surprised that nobility that belonged to extinct orders wouldn't like the fact that such an order was getting recycled to appeal to commoners.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
See my signature mate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
See my signature mate.
That's pretty awesome.

My wife's uncle was in it, but I didn't even know until he died.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's pretty awesome.

My wife's uncle was in it, but I didn't even know until he died.
View Quote
Indeed. That's pretty cool.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top