Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 347
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:
Was checking out equipment for the morning.  Eyeballed the hydraulic tank on a D8T, then something caught my eye.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/2C1CCF74-3905-4878-BBF3-DEE8BD724F5D_jpe-2719950.JPG

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Good luck. I've never had them stay tight again after having run loose at all. It's hard enough to keep them tight when it's perfect.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:14:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#2]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Good luck. I've never had them stay tight again after having run loose at all. It's hard enough to keep them tight when it's perfect.
View Quote

thanks.

We used new bolts, nuts, and washers to reinstall, then torqued to 450.  Hopefully, it stays.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Some of our sensors will read 0 cold, spike to 1300-1800 for 15-30 seconds just before they "turn on", then drop to 40 or so (assuming sensor 2). The older ones would default to that high value, they would be dead at 1300 until they warmed up.

I disregard pretty much all NOx values until both sensors show available and read. Can you over lay a dew point enabled value along with the graphs? The rear will always be a bit behind the front, and the dosing valve will start dosing a bit before either come online.
View Quote

The more I stare at these graphs and data logs the more I’m learning about these systems. I had a truck today with the same exact code and they both behaved very different despite having the same some. I changed the inlet nox sensor and everything leveled out but the data on the outlet nox is different.

So I looked at the data between the two and it makes sense. Yesterdays truck may have a potentially clogged SCR due to a turbo failure or clogging.

Todays data is correct and yesterday is a red flag for me.

I’ve noticed the big spike upon initial startup and have learn that’s not a failure. It’s just the sensor waking up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Another day at the dump. Don’t use your phone and drive.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#5]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:

The more I stare at these graphs and data logs the more I’m learning about these systems. I had a truck today with the same exact code and they both behaved very different despite having the same some. I changed the inlet nox sensor and everything leveled out but the data on the outlet nox is different.

So I looked at the data between the two and it makes sense. Yesterdays truck may have a potentially clogged SCR due to a turbo failure or clogging.

Todays data is correct and yesterday is a red flag for me.

I’ve noticed the big spike upon initial startup and have learn that’s not a failure. It’s just the sensor waking up.
View Quote

Our old sensors would display that high value until they turned on and dropped down. It’s like now they programmed the computer to show that as 0 until it’s “on” even though the raw value isn’t 0. When it starts to think it’s “on” the value is actually passed through and goes crazy for a bit before the reading is accurate.

You just want the rear lower than the front, 1/5 or so. Our engines are 2.0L or 3.0L, usually 150-180ppm front, 30-50ppm rear warmed up at idle. That’s really the only way to read out a value you think you can trust. Warmed up, both sensors reading, give it a good rev to spike, they drop to 0 or super low, time it 30 or 60 seconds.

Our sensors were trash a few years ago, everything has been good lately. Our tanks have always sucked, but now the level sensor isn’t serviceable. I think we’re on our 5th generation of tank since 2010?
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/7E2ABBD4-8543-43F1-8B2F-DED330074F8C_jpe-2721043.JPG
View Quote

I had to go out to the one we service a while back. They have some very nicely graded roads in there. I was expecting a muddy rutted mess. They do have ditches like that though, you're screwed if you go off.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Our old sensors would display that high value until they turned on and dropped down. It’s like now they programmed the computer to show that as 0 until it’s “on” even though the raw value isn’t 0. When it starts to think it’s “on” the value is actually passed through and goes crazy for a bit before the reading is accurate.

You just want the rear lower than the front, 1/5 or so. Our engines are 2.0L or 3.0L, usually 150-180ppm front, 30-50ppm rear warmed up at idle. That’s really the only way to read out a value you think you can trust. Warmed up, both sensors reading, give it a good rev to spike, they drop to 0 or super low, time it 30 or 60 seconds.

Our sensors were trash a few years ago, everything has been good lately. Our tanks have always sucked, but now the level sensor isn’t serviceable. I think we’re on our 5th generation of tank since 2010?
View Quote

Lol 2.0-3.0. Wow. That puts things into perspective. These are big 13 liter Volvos.

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/7E2ABBD4-8543-43F1-8B2F-DED330074F8C_jpe-2721043.JPG
View Quote

I can feel that road just by looking at it. That’s the type of my that makes layers in your boots.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Lol 2.0-3.0. Wow. That puts things into perspective. These are big 13 liter Volvos.

View Quote

Yup, these big boys are all 2.0 4 cylinder twin turbo or 3.0 6 cylinder single turbo. 2023 is all 4 cylinder twin turbo. We’ll see how that goes. 9 gears and max out at 82 mph, shift shift shift shift shift.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]

I can feel that road just by looking at it. That’s the type of my that makes layers in your boots.
View Quote

The red clay can change me from manlet to chad in just 4 sticky steps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Yup, these big boys are all 2.0 4 cylinder twin turbo or 3.0 6 cylinder single turbo. 2023 is all 4 cylinder twin turbo. We’ll see how that goes. 9 gears and max out at 82 mph, shift shift shift shift shift.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/512313/B98402A8-EA69-44EF-8581-5CB65675A46B_jpe-2721171.JPG
View Quote

These baby’s do 20 mph tops. 3-4 gears depending on your options.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/5C1B6903-F418-4239-BD96-32C3D0476C77_jpe-2721320.JPG
View Quote

Idk that I’d be comfortable doing 5 with a container hanging off the end of one of those.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Idk that I’d be comfortable doing 5 with a container hanging off the end of one of those.
View Quote

The newer ones are speed restricted depending on weight and height.
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/5C1B6903-F418-4239-BD96-32C3D0476C77_jpe-2721320.JPG

Just think of the cool stoppies you can pull.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

We moved an empty container with a backhoe and a bulldozer, that was interesting enough. Our little telehandler wasn't up for it
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/512313/B98402A8-EA69-44EF-8581-5CB65675A46B_jpe-2721171.JPG
View Quote

nightmares of these.

VR6 was ok at pulling them but the 4 speed was woefully over tasked for the job.

fucking sucked to work on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2023 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Whoever engineered this pin joint should be kicked in the dick hole repeatedly until the kicker gets tired. Bolt breaks off halfway through the pin so you spend half a day drilling and grinding enough to get the pin out. Then you still get to deal with the bolt stuck in the cylinder.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Take my man card away. I had to pay a shop to do something for me. I drove to Missouri over the weekend to see my kid and register the truck I bought him. Being a good dad I brought him a few gallons of oil and a filter, we bomb down to grandpas house to change it. Making the young one do all the work and he crawls underneath his 2006 duramax to loosen the drain plug. He doesn’t get a good bite and the wrench slips. He becomes discouraged so I crawl underneath and make my attempt and the 5/8ths wrench isn’t the right wrench. So get the proper metric socket for it and she’s not budging. Double up a wrench on it and she’s stuck proper. Fml.

Have the heart to heart talk with him that we are 20 miles from the closest replacement drain plug, shits rounded off and I’m pissed so we will take it to a shop. He understands and accept our mutual defeat.

So take it to the shop and for 25 bucks and the cost of a new drain plug we are back in business.

I’m still cool in my sons eyes……. I hope.
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 10:41:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Take my man card away. I had to pay a shop to do something for me. I drove to Missouri over the weekend to see my kid and register the truck I bought him. Being a good dad I brought him a few gallons of oil and a filter, we bomb down to grandpas house to change it. Making the young one do all the work and he crawls underneath his 2006 duramax to loosen the drain plug. He doesn't get a good bite and the wrench slips. He becomes discouraged so I crawl underneath and make my attempt and the 5/8ths wrench isn't the right wrench. So get the proper metric socket for it and she's not budging. Double up a wrench on it and she's stuck proper. Fml.

Have the heart to heart talk with him that we are 20 miles from the closest replacement drain plug, shits rounded off and I'm pissed so we will take it to a shop. He understands and accept our mutual defeat.

So take it to the shop and for 25 bucks and the cost of a new drain plug we are back in business.

I'm still cool in my sons eyes  . I hope.
View Quote
A better lesson  in caution could not have been manufactured. I think its a lesson I should have learned 30 years ago...
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Operator states he thought the black pipes on the hood was a snorkel system.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#21]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/F1DE4A77-E345-41B6-9FBA-14B8639640EB_jpe-2737508.JPG
View Quote

That mud though. Ooof.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/F1DE4A77-E345-41B6-9FBA-14B8639640EB_jpe-2737508.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2023 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#23]

That mud though. Ooof.
View All Quotes

That mud though. Ooof.

That trash box is gonna smell awesome.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#24]

That mud though. Ooof.
View Quote

My boss thinks that if it’s been less than 3 hours since it’s rained, he’s gotta haul dirt and clean up the digout.

Once I figure out how to lay out $ figures for recovery, repairs, etc, maybe he’ll finally realize that dirt hauling only needs to happen when it needs to happen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View Quote

Jokes’ on someone else, I have anosmia.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Should be a job for the operator. Same with the pans.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Bruh.

As a former 11B (mech), as far as I’m concerned, damn near everything is operator level.  Unfortunately, I can’t get management on board.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Bruh.

As a former 11B (mech), as far as I’m concerned, damn near everything is operator level.  Unfortunately, I can’t get management on board.
View All Quotes

Bruh.

I was a mech in the Army. We made EVERYTHING we could operator level. I was also the wrecker guy. If you got your shit stuck, you were pulling chain/cable while I sat at the controls.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:43:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrashWrencher] [#29]

I was a mech in the Army. We made EVERYTHING we could operator level. I was also the wrecker guy. If you got your shit stuck, you were pulling chain/cable while I sat at the controls.
View Quote

No shit, mechanics made things -10?

Maybe that’s why I was pulling the pac with the 88.

Said with love, btw.  You goons is how I learned to turn wrenches.
Link Posted: 3/7/2023 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 3/9/2023 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Ain't this the cutest little split bearing you've ever seen?

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 12:53:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#32]
Damn landfill operators...2 weeks ago I rebuilt a grenaded final,  rebearing'd all of the blade cylinders and undercarriage on one of their D6s. This morning they popped the engine.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn landfill operators...2 weeks ago I rebuilt a grenaded final,  rebearing'd all of the blade cylinders and undercarriage on one of their D6s. This morning they popped the engine.
View Quote

Deferred maintenance is best maintenance.

I’m organizing our o-rings from a stupid file cabinet/folder system into boxes.

Found this old feller.
Attachment Attached File

I was 10 when it was bought.
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Found this old feller.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2740616.JPG

View All Quotes

Found this old feller.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/258113/image_jpg-2740616.JPG

This was in your first aid cabinet at my last job.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 2:21:07 PM EDT
[#35]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/FE55D2F2-D2A6-4498-B58D-73864986445F-394781.JPG
View Quote

That’shot.gif
Link Posted: 3/10/2023 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]

That’shot.gif
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/204916/FE55D2F2-D2A6-4498-B58D-73864986445F-394781.JPG

That’shot.gif

It was burn cream too if I remeber right.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Customers be like “i greased it when it started getting noisey”

Well yes, but you need more.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Customers be like “i greased it when it started getting noisey”

Well yes, but you need more.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/62E92330-2A0E-4444-B762-668FDEF4D345_jpe-2742129.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/8FEFA485-465D-4CC7-8439-F09D9EF2D6B1_jpe-2742131.JPG
View Quote

I’m assuming his manual said “as needed,” instead of giving a time interval.
Link Posted: 3/12/2023 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#39]

I’m assuming his manual said “as needed,” instead of giving a time interval.
View Quote

Every 500 hours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I am still baffled everyday that my dumbass is better than 87% of my peers In this industry.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Take my man card away. I had to pay a shop to do something for me. I drove to Missouri over the weekend to see my kid and register the truck I bought him. Being a good dad I brought him a few gallons of oil and a filter, we bomb down to grandpas house to change it. Making the young one do all the work and he crawls underneath his 2006 duramax to loosen the drain plug. He doesn’t get a good bite and the wrench slips. He becomes discouraged so I crawl underneath and make my attempt and the 5/8ths wrench isn’t the right wrench. So get the proper metric socket for it and she’s not budging. Double up a wrench on it and she’s stuck proper. Fml.

Have the heart to heart talk with him that we are 20 miles from the closest replacement drain plug, shits rounded off and I’m pissed so we will take it to a shop. He understands and accept our mutual defeat.

I’m still cool in my sons eyes……. I hope.
View Quote

I've had to air chisel some of those out every now and again.....
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#42]
So...one of our rental D8Ts came in with complaints of low oil pressure. Another tech checks it out and finds a shit ton of metal in the oil. Drops the pan and finds an aftermarket oil pump and rod and main bearings (debris in the bearings too). Cam and rollers gouged up. Rental tells him to pull the head. He pulled out 8 head bolts with his fingers, literally used no tools. One of those bolts had pulled the threads out of the block. Exhaust manifold bolt holes are all egged shaped and weren't even close to being tight. Whole lotta WTF.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#43]
So...one of our rental D8Ts came in with complaints of low oil pressure. Another tech checks it out and finds a shit ton of metal in the oil. Drops the pan and finds an aftermarket oil pump and rod and main bearings (debris in the bearings too). Cam and rollers gouged up. Rental tells him to pull the head. He pulled out 8 head bolts with his fingers, literally used no tools. One of those bolts had pulled the threads out of the block. Exhaust manifold bolt holes are all egged shaped and weren't even close to being tight. Whole lotta WTF.
View Quote

Is it the original block?
Sounds like a blown engine was swapped into the rental when the cust stealz the original engine.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Ubaddog:

Sounds like a blown engine was swapped into the rental when the cust stealz the original engine.

View All Quotes

Dunno. There would have to be other clues if they did considering the "quality" of work they did to this one. It's not exactly a quick swap in a dozer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#45]
If your OE was able to offer a fast pass to tenured technicians for diagnostic support, what would you want that to look like?

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Customer would never do that……..  would they?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#47]
Originally Posted By slows2k:
If your OE was able to offer a fast pass to tenured technicians for diagnostic support, what would you want that to look like?

View Quote

The cell phone number of your local FTS. Something every tenured (and qualified) technician already has.

There are major issues with diagnostic support these days, that’s about the only place that doesn’t need help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Swapping a D8t engine isn't exactly a quick or easy job, of course a c15 isn't cheap either so maybe it was worth it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By slows2k:

View Quote

Our factory support is top notch. I can call down there and have someone on the line in minutes. Built up pretty good relationships with them and have my favorites that I deal with but as I get more experienced here lately I’ve been calling less and less.

I also have my service manager who is on par with what the factory has as far as technical knowledge and documentation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#50]

The cell phone number of your local FTS. Something every tenured (and qualified) technician already has.

There are major issues with diagnostic support these days, that’s about the only place that doesn’t need help.
View Quote

What if you already had that and they are on vacation?
Page / 347
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top