BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

We're still deadish. A 745 rolled in yesterday. I was hoping for a trans but it's just got a drop box issue. And I didnt get assigned to it, another tech did.

Buy hey, I've successfully cleaned and repainted half of the stores bay floors.
View Quote

If you look hard enough I bet it has a trans issue too. Run the calibrations and see if it passes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

If you look hard enough I bet it has a trans issue too. Run the calibrations and see if it passes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

We're still deadish. A 745 rolled in yesterday. I was hoping for a trans but it's just got a drop box issue. And I didnt get assigned to it, another tech did.

Buy hey, I've successfully cleaned and repainted half of the stores bay floors.

I'm sure of it too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
And another 745 transmission shits the bed.

3rd one for this truck in 9800 hours.
View Quote

How’d that truck go through so few?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By TrashWrencher:

View Quote

No joke. I stopped going to the gravel pit but their 745 was getting a transmission about every powertrain oil change.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Idle hours.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Idle hours.
View All Quotes

Idle hours.

Ah, to be an operator.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]

No joke. I stopped going to the gravel pit but their 745 was getting a transmission about every powertrain oil change.
View All Quotes

Do the ones you see failing have the updated extra cooling port for 5th and 6th or are they the OEM style?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Do the ones you see failing have the updated extra cooling port for 5th and 6th or are they the OEM style?
View Quote

How do I check for this on my 740s?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Remove the cab and take a peak.

It would be hard to describe on here but if you go into SIS and check the service letter for rework of the transmission it will call out where the port is machined into the case. It's on the right side of it about 2/3rds of the way to the rear of the trans. I can't seem to find the SL that the last one I did was under but I'll keep looking to see if I can find it and update you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#10]

It would be hard to describe on here but if you go into SIS and check the service letter for rework of the transmission it will call out where the port is machined into the case. It's on the right side of it about 2/3rds of the way to the rear of the trans. I can't seem to find the SL that the last one I did was under but I'll keep looking to see if I can find it and update you.
View Quote

I’ll poke around SIS when I get back to work Tuesday.  We’ve replaced 9 transmissions across 3 740s in nearly 4000 hours.  Think the dealer would be honest about what they’ve done?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Found it. The additional cooling port is under a special instruction. You can see it's towards the rear of the trans right behind the right mount. If that fitting and hose are there then you should have the updated case. I don't know why my screenshots turn funny colors on here.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#12]

I’ll poke around SIS when I get back to work Tuesday.  We’ve replaced 9 transmissions across 3 740s in nearly 4000 hours.  Think the dealer would be honest about what they’ve done?
View All Quotes

Unless your dealer has a trans shop, they wouldn't have done any of the updates to the trans itself. There's some new clutches and bearings that all go into it along with the case machining for the new port. They would just submit a DSN ticket with a checklist we have to go through and if the DSN approves it, a trans is shipped to them to install.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks man. I’ll look at one next service.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

You may or may not know, but don't update your trans software unless you want to trans calibration.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#15]

You may or may not know, but don't update your trans software unless you want to trans calibration.
View All Quotes

I’m barley allowed to clear codes by ETech.  That is, I have the non-dealer level software and zero training.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]

I’m barley allowed to clear codes by ETech.  That is, I have the non-dealer level software and zero training.
View All Quotes

Gotcha. Just wanted to make sure. One of our guys got bit by that when finishing up some other repair and updated all the software. It's not the end of the world, just kinda time-consuming. We always make sure all software is up to date before kicking it out the door but you wouldn't know it wipes out the calibration unless you were looking elsewhere in SIS or you learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Unless your dealer has a trans shop, they wouldn't have done any of the updates to the trans itself. There's some new clutches and bearings that all go into it along with the case machining for the new port. They would just submit a DSN ticket with a checklist we have to go through and if the DSN approves it, a trans is shipped to them to install.
View All Quotes

This one had 0 pressure in it. DSN called out changing to a different pump and shaft.

Now it's a race to see if we can build it faster than getting a Reman from CAT.

And software should be dealer only. I haven't seen any customer version ET that gave them access to flash.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#18]

This one had 0 pressure in it. DSN called out changing to a different pump and shaft.

And software should be dealer only. I haven't seen any customer version ET that gave them access to flash.
View All Quotes

Interesting. I don't think we've had one that had 0 psi, just low pressure and unable to adjust. The first one we did, they made us change out all of the solenoids (there's a SL regarding them as well), but that made no difference so they told us just to swap it. Within our company we usually have at least 1 swing trans available at one store, so we could get it within a day or 2.

Makes sense on the flash capability, I've only ever used the dealer version.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Interesting. I don't think we've had one that had 0 psi, just low pressure and unable to adjust. The first one we did, they made us change out all of the solenoids (there's a SL regarding them as well), but that made no difference so they told us just to swap it. Within our company we usually have at least 1 swing trans available at one store, so we could get it within a day or 2.

View All Quotes

I've done several sets of solenoids. I hate those belly pans. Of course all my socket sets only went down to 4mm and those stupid screws are 3mm.

This one had 0 pressure at idle and when throttled up got about 50-100. So it smoked 4th. Still had reverse, but you had to throttle up to get it to engage. At least I got it out of the pit it was at. Had an operator help me yesterday get it in their shop.

Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#20]
An 06 ML350 That was towed in for a brake job and a battery.  Its been parked under a tree for maybe 6 years?  

Doesn't need brakes.  Fuel smells awful.  Smacked the pump with a hammer to get it to run, and it barely dribbles fuel out.  Needs a tank cleaning, a pump, a filter, and possibly a set of injectors to get started with.  

I'm feeling more and more disinterested, bored, and burnt out.  Its the same shit, over and over.  Nothing new under the sun.  I've been wasting days away doing software updates on newer junk.  You can spend a full day going through and updating everything.  The thing is, you will never know why.  They don't state what the updates are supposed to fix, or even tell you there is an update.  You just run through all the modules and check.  There might be like 90+ sometimes.  Some of them take two hours to update.  

I'm in pain all the time.   The work never ends.  Lately my in house training I'm writing is common problems on certain chaissis.  Its proven popular.  Especially when I pointed out 204 and 212 rear subframe rust.  Suddenly, they are everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a friendly PSA reminder.

Always keep fresh batteries in your multimeters.

Had a dryer problem, no heat. Checked the power at the wall. Only had 180 volts and not 240. Checked breaker panel. Same. Neighbor comes over and we use his meter, 240. What the hell is wrong with my Fluke?

Troubleshoot the dryer, bad heating element. Install new element and vacuum out the vent.

Sit here and stare at my Fluke and thought, let's try it again. Reads 180 again. But I know the dryer works and each leg has 120 for the 240 circuit. Change battery in the meter. We have 240 now.

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
An 06 ML350 That was towed in for a brake job and a battery.  Its been parked under a tree for maybe 6 years?  

Doesn't need brakes.  Fuel smells awful.  Smacked the pump with a hammer to get it to run, and it barely dribbles fuel out.  Needs a tank cleaning, a pump, a filter, and possibly a set of injectors to get started with.  

I'm feeling more and more disinterested, bored, and burnt out.  Its the same shit, over and over.  Nothing new under the sun.  I've been wasting days away doing software updates on newer junk.  You can spend a full day going through and updating everything.  The thing is, you will never know why.  They don't state what the updates are supposed to fix, or even tell you there is an update.  You just run through all the modules and check.  There might be like 90+ sometimes.  Some of them take two hours to update.  

I'm in pain all the time.   The work never ends.  Lately my in house training I'm writing is common problems on certain chaissis.  Its proven popular.  Especially when I pointed out 204 and 212 rear subframe rust.  Suddenly, they are everywhere.
View Quote
Put a silver lining on things. At least your getting your guys some training, and they like it.
I was going to explain how my place is going, but I have to go a bit far outside opsec for it to make sense. Gov work can be a frustrating mess sometimes.

Burnt out and in pain here too, don't let it get you down. Vacation time, even if it's a stay staycation, get away from that place for a bit, disconnect and bleed some stress. I'm trying to do the same thing, but can't get the anxiety down enough to enjoy shit, yet.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Had a dryer problem, no heat. Checked the power at the wall. Only had 180 volts and not 240. Checked breaker panel. Same. Neighbor comes over and we use his meter, 240. What the hell is wrong with my Fluke?

Troubleshoot the dryer, bad heating element. Install new element and vacuum out the vent.

Sit here and stare at my Fluke and thought, let's try it again. Reads 180 again. But I know the dryer works and each leg has 120 for the 240 circuit. Change battery in the meter. We have 240 now.

View Quote

I need to set up a schedule to change batteries in my meters and other devices. Just saw a nasty vid on youtube, EEVBlog lost a Fluke meter to leaking batteries - not only did the batteries leak, but it started eating into the plastic of the case, and severely corroded the PCB inside. Kinda freaky. You never know when it's gonna happen, but it does. I'm thinking of setting up a 6 month schedule to just go through and change batteries whether it needs it or not - but I've seen cases where batteries leaked a lot faster than that.

At least you just had poor performance from low battery voltage, and not a leak...
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jrollins:

I need to set up a schedule to change batteries in my meters and other devices. Just saw a nasty vid on youtube, EEVBlog lost a Fluke meter to leaking batteries - not only did the batteries leak, but it started eating into the plastic of the case, and severely corroded the PCB inside. Kinda freaky. You never know when it's gonna happen, but it does. I'm thinking of setting up a 6 month schedule to just go through and change batteries whether it needs it or not - but I've seen cases where batteries leaked a lot faster than that.

At least you just had poor performance from low battery voltage, and not a leak...
View All Quotes

I had a Fluke 233 that did that. That meter takes 6 AA batteries. Those leaked and corroded everything. Sent it to Fluke and they replaced it. Then told me they updated the owners manual. When they updated it, they put statements in that you need to remove the batteries if you're not using it for a few weeks. I've never had an issue with my older Flukes that took a 9 volt, until this one with the power issue.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#25]

View Quote

We aren’t big enough to publish much more than emails reminding people to run DW time on warranty work and print every fawking screen to pXd.

I’m the CV foreman, 1 or 2 of the CV tech topics each month are from our shop. Never ending problem vans, mostly stemming from recall updates and “vanlife” modifications.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#26]

I had a Fluke 233 that did that. That meter takes 6 AA batteries. Those leaked and corroded everything. Sent it to Fluke and they replaced it. Then told me they updated the owners manual. When they updated it, they put statements in that you need to remove the batteries if you're not using it for a few weeks. I've never had an issue with my older Flukes that took a 9 volt, until this one with the power issue.
View Quote

Batteries have also gotten shittier.  Had to educate a co-worker on the dangers of Duraswell batteries after I lent him a photo-tach and it came back with a duraswell.

I've also taken to slathering the battery wells of the tools I care about with silicone dielectric grease. It's saved a couple mag lites and a treasured Simpson 260 from leakers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Meplat:

Batteries have also gotten shittier.  Had to educate a co-worker on the dangers of Duraswell batteries after I lent him a photo-tach and it came back with a duraswell.

I've also taken to slathering the battery wells of the tools I care about with silicone dielectric grease. It's saved a couple mag lites and a treasured Simpson 260 from leakers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Meplat:

I've had several Rayovac and Duracell that I caught just starting to leak in various things and in the container I bought them in.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#28]

I've had several Rayovac and Duracell that I caught just starting to leak in various things and in the container I bought them in.
View Quote

Meanwhile I have a 1960's ray-o-vac that came with a civil defense survey meter that still had a charge, and has yet to leak.
For a long time I had an ever-ready 15V battery from a Simpson benchtop meter that was still sound til I gave it to a friend so he could use it in his meter.
Some things have not improved.  You'd think the quality of alkaline dry cells would improve, instead of getting shoddier.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 11:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
I have a AAA battery in one of those plastic battery holders, not being used just storage for a device that doesn't get used often(radiation meter), and stored that battery holder in a ziploc bag to make sure nothing would bother it, and one of the batteries(out of 6 being stored like that) is corroded on the end. ALL brands of batteries are total garbage these days. I kept wondering why people were bagging on Duracell, because I was buying a lot of Energizer and having leak problems - I started buying Duracell, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in the chances of leakage.

Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a AAA battery in one of those plastic battery holders, not being used just storage for a device that doesn't get used often(radiation meter), and stored that battery holder in a ziploc bag to make sure nothing would bother it, and one of the batteries(out of 6 being stored like that) is corroded on the end. ALL brands of batteries are total garbage these days. I kept wondering why people were bagging on Duracell, because I was buying a lot of Energizer and having leak problems - I started buying Duracell, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in the chances of leakage.

View Quote

More incidents with Duraswells shitting the bed.  Simple as.

Seen more maglites killed by Duracell batteries than any other (barring the recent surge in chicom no-name or "what the fuck, china?" name brand batteries).
I suspect pretty much all small alkaline batteries are outsourced to the "Ching-chong rubber dogshit and battery factory in Onehunglo China" by this point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I think she needs to visit a dentist.

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Its shiny so it has to be good right?

Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
I wrote a really long post but backspaced it and just want to say: I feel you on the burnout, man.

If you keep feeling that way, walk away. It was the best thing I ever did. I constantly have people calling or texting offering big money (at least for dealer or independent auto techs) and I just laugh and tell them they'll never take me alive
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#36]

Used to see a lot of the same on "restored" military vehicles.  WW2 jeeps were by far the most abused.
Body tubs that were more bondo than steel, brakes that were plain dangerous, electrical work that looked like it had been done by a blind toddler, bent/broken frame and suspension components held together with kitty hair and JB weld..

I'm sure whoever did the "restoration" on that Chevy thought it was ready for Barrett-Jackson and was worth a cool million.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Diagnosed failed engine control unit 30 days ago.  Comes back with same exact faults and same misfires.  Spend four hours confirming failed ecu.  Replaced it again, and this reman also confirmed bad out of the box.  Spent seven hours confirming that.  

Replacing an ecu isn't taken lightly.  Now wtf is up with the new remans being absolute shit?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#38]

Welcome back man!
View Quote
thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Diagnosed failed engine control unit 30 days ago.  Comes back with same exact faults and same misfires.  Spend four hours confirming failed ecu.  Replaced it again, and this reman also confirmed bad out of the box.  Spent seven hours confirming that.  

Replacing an ecu isn't taken lightly.  Now wtf is up with the new remans being absolute shit?
View Quote

176/177? We had a G come in for some door lock work (big surprise) and it barely started to get out of the shop. Ended up getting an ME and a bank of coils, ran fine when he brought it in. Constantly had misfire/rough running with and without codes on the one.

Luckily, it’s long gone now. The guy is in the FBIs hands, busted for running a sneaker Ponzi scheme
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 2:35:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecretSquirell] [#40]
So I'm wrapping up a pump coupler on a wheel loader. Customer had disconnected the driveshafts to get it on the trailer. I went to drop the pan so I could put the rear one in and found that 2 of the pan bolts were broken off so they just welded the pan to the machine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#41]
So I'm wrapping up a pump coupler on a wheel loader. Customer had disconnected the driveshafts to get iton the trailer. I went to drop the pan so I could put the rear one in and found that 2 of the pan bolts were broken off so they just welded the pan to the machine. [/b]
View Quote

Not the first time I've heard or seen that. The loggers here are notorious for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Aspp:

Not the first time I've heard or seen that. The loggers here are notorious for it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aspp:
So I'm wrapping up a pump coupler on a wheel loader. Customer had disconnected the driveshafts to get iton the trailer. I went to drop the pan so I could put the rear one in and found that 2 of the pan bolts were broken off so they just welded the pan to the machine.

Luckily theres a small access panel I could get my hands through. But they didnt need to disconnect it all, the parking brake is on the front drive shaft. Once that's off itll roll fine.  [/b]
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
So I'm wrapping up a pump coupler on a wheel loader. Customer had disconnected the driveshafts to get it on the trailer. I went to drop the pan so I could put the rear one in and found that 2 of the pan bolts were broken off so they just welded the pan to the machine.
View Quote

Tell a foreman on a jobsite he can’t have a piece of machinery he needs because it’s missing a few bolts in a bottom guard and tell me how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Tell a foreman on a jobsite he can’t have a piece of machinery he needs because it’s missing a few bolts in a bottom guard and tell me how it goes.
View All Quotes

I get it, it's just annoying.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#45]
The third reman engine control unit won't program.  

We have a new S class with a LIN line shorted to ground.  My vote is laying a new one as opposed to finding the issue.  We would have to disassemble the entire interior to find the issue.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#46]
It takes this many amps to make this starter turn.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:21:09 PM EDT
[#47]
My tdi was always slow cranking, especially when cold, even with a group 31 battery. Finally took the starter apart one day and cleaned it out, relubed the gear reduction and cleaned the brushes. Made an amazing difference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

Woooooooo Ben is back thank God! I missed you're shenanigans

@m35ben
View Quote
Thankyou
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
We've seen a ton of module failures on new vehicles across the board. My theory is that QC specs on acceptable chips have been loosened to get module bottlenecked vehicles off manufacturer lots. Probably happening with replacement parts also.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top