User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

I forgot to add the clown face

I too got trained by a manufacturer in college, Honda in fact, was 2nd in my class grade wise, only because the one guy was already 10 years in.

The only thing it really helped me with was CAN and electricity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I forgot to add the clown face

I too got trained by a manufacturer in college, Honda in fact, was 2nd in my class grade wise, only because the one guy was already 10 years in.

The only thing it really helped me with was CAN and electricity.

The training wasn't any good if you only got some electrical out of it... hands on is impossible to teach, that's an aquired skill over time, but Drivability and repair logic were really the key components in school.

people like to talk shit about UTI, and fair enough most of the kids were fuckups, but the training was pretty damn good for those who took advantage.

Drivability was easily the biggest advantage I had over the other techs. in a way it kinda sucked cause I quickly was handed all the fucky drivability problems... which made me do the math on the hours, parts and open my own shop... had I been a gravy sucker I would have stuck around longer.

Originally Posted By midcap:

Don't lie, you saw the Job Security working on VAG vehicles and went that route.

your damn right I did.

I also saw no one else wanted to work on them... or really any German vehicles at the time. they had just introduced technological advancements far beyond the other manufactures. 5v variable timing turbo engines... shit was space tech compared to the 3800 or whatever tinker toy motor from the far east. people were still struggling with minor diag shit on 2.0slo never mind boost or fuel trim faults on a 1.8t.

..."Too hard"...

everyone wanted to suck up honda, subie, yota, nissan, chevy gravy... everyone "oh man we do services and brakes and shocks all day" everyone avoided VAG work. part of it was they couldn't' find or keep techs so they had to pay more.

most techs only saw the hours and not how much per hour. they thought 65-70hrs at 12 would be better than 45@ 21...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

wtf do you guys get these jobs?

I started at $21 flat in 2003...
View Quote

While at LTI I got a job at PepBoys at 16 an hr flat.  I was 19 flat by the time I left (I was also an ASE master tech according to the tests by that point).  Went to a different shop for 24 flat.  BMW STEP and got 18 hourly at the dealership, but didn't get my own bay.  Bounced around a bit and ended up with my own place.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I just mechaniced a new pilot assembly in to my gas fireplace.  The money I saved not paying to have it done bought a new esse4 and an okc rat7.

Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
I just mechaniced a new pilot assembly in to my gas fireplace.  The money I saved not paying to have it done bought a new esse4 and an okc rat7.

View Quote

That's what you get for having a fireplace and not a parlour stove
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

While at LTI I got a job at PepBoys at 16 an hr flat.  I was 19 flat by the time I left (I was also an ASE master tech according to the tests by that point).  Went to a different shop for 24 flat.  BMW STEP and got 18 hourly at the dealership, but didn't get my own bay.  Bounced around a bit and ended up with my own place.

View Quote

I think they might see what I say as a personal criticism,  it shouldn't be taken as such, as working for, or expecting customers to pay less because we should expect less is sets us all up to expect less.

Dragging ourselves down has always been my major criticism of this field.  We're expected to know insane amounts and invest extensively,  yet accept pauper wages.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#6]

I think they might see what I say as a personal criticism,  it shouldn't be taken as such, as working for, or expecting customers to pay less because we should expect less is sets us all up to expect less.

Dragging ourselves down has always been my major criticism of this field.  We're expected to know insane amounts and invest extensively,  yet accept pauper wages.
View Quote

I have advertised for journeymen techs, and master techs.  No one has applied at any dollar amount that I was willing to pay for the advertised rate.  A quick conversation and I was certain they didn't know as much as they thought they did to the point it wasn't worth it to me to hire them.  I really prefer to hire apprentices and train them.  That way at least the mistakes they make are the ones I teach them to do, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I still don't understand why there was a dong in the glove box?

Is this a common thing in the mid west?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

I have advertised for journeymen techs, and master techs.  No one has applied at any dollar amount that I was willing to pay for the advertised rate.  A quick conversation and I was certain they didn't know as much as they thought they did to the point it wasn't worth it to me to hire them.  I really prefer to hire apprentices and train them.  That way at least the mistakes they make are the ones I teach them to do, right?
View Quote

One of the larger problems was manufactures and dealers should have implemented a apprenticeship program with their training, but the whole "hire'em cheap, two to a lift make em fight over scraps" model trying to compete with chain stores kinda fucked everyone over...

which is why I hate that people accepted those jobs.

Personally, its hard to have time to train an apprentice in, in the small shop environment. I really just found good enough and try to fix the bad habits.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a car in my lot right now that was dropped off March 2nd.  I looked at it and said it needed a battery nothing else.  The husband of the owner told me it just needed to be charged up.  Let him know when I talked with him that I was heading out for spring break the next week.  

It is still in the lot.  I stopped moving it inside a while ago since jump starting a 2003 7 series is just asking for trouble.  I could call or text them and see if they want their car back, but at this point I am just fascinated at how long it has been here and now I kinda want to see how long it goes before they come get it.  I bet end of next month before they contact me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#10]
GLS450 Passes by two 70MPH speed limit signs, one on each side of the highway.  It then drops its speed to 30mph and displays a 30mph speed limit.  I ended up opening a case on this one.  It seems like a mapping error, as it will use the map speed limits even if you turn off the driving aids.  It doesn't seem camera related, and another vehicle (different model entirely) doesn't have this issue.  GPS coordinates reported by the vehicles are identical in the same place.  I took video of both of them driving past the same place and took still images from the video and compared the GPS readings there.  

I bet it ends up being reported to HERE and they will make an update.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
GLS450 Passes by two 70MPH speed limit signs, one on each side of the highway.  It then drops its speed to 30mph and displays a 30mph speed limit.  I ended up opening a case on this one.  It seems like a mapping error, as it will use the map speed limits even if you turn off the driving aids.  It doesn't seem camera related, and another vehicle (different model entirely) doesn't have this issue.  GPS coordinates reported by the vehicles are identical in the same place.  I took video of both of them driving past the same place and took still images from the video and compared the GPS readings there.  

View Quote

There’s an LI on CVs for a mapping issue. Mostly the vans picking up the “truck” speeds and adapting accordingly.

I believe it requires a case and documentation to change coding? Only played with it a few times.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#12]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

There’s an LI on CVs for a mapping issue. Mostly the vans picking up the “truck” speeds and adapting accordingly.

I believe it requires a case and documentation to change coding? Only played with it a few times.
View All Quotes

In the mass market world like us at Kia the GPS or camera might recognize established road speeds but will not auto adjust to it, so such issues don't happen, such is the life and difference between a 30k car and a 60k car.

I think our cruise control even works passed 100mph becuase of Germany.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 8:51:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#13]

In the mass market world like us at Kia the GPS or camera might recognize established road speeds but will not auto adjust to it, so such issues don't happen, such is the life and difference between a 30k car and a 60k car.

I think our cruise control even works passed 100mph becuase of Germany.
View Quote

I believe our cruise works to 130? Because Germany as well.

The adaptive cruise stuff is all very new. It’s a huge pain in the ass is what it is, but people are lazy and want cars to drive themselves, so here we are.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]

I believe our cruise works to 130? Because Germany as well.

The adaptive cruise stuff is all very new. It’s a huge pain in the ass is what it is, but people are lazy and want cars to drive themselves, so here we are.
View Quote

... new?

You mean self adjusting to GPS recognised highway speeds or such right?

Because radar adaptive cruise been around for 20 years now
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Welcome to tune port hell.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Support voted for another stereo camera, and they are backordered so it sounds correct.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:47:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#18]

... new?

You mean self adjusting to GPS recognised highway speeds or such right?

Because radar adaptive cruise been around for 20 years now
View Quote

Yes, sign recognition and such. We’ve had Distronic since at least the 220 chassis S class. You can even get adaptive cruise on the Sprinter chassis now, runs through the CPA/DTR radar sensor.

We hired a new guy, 5 years experience at Toyota. He’s nice and has his own tools. Two things that most of our job applicants are missing.

And we hired a wash guy that passed a drug test. What a crazy week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Support voted for another stereo camera, and they are backordered so it sounds correct.
View Quote

I had one a few months ago that was throwing the messages in the cluster. Installed the updated reflector shields or whatever they call them, cleaned the glass perfectly, calibrated 5 times, no change.

Camera fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I think that applies to every field these days. Everything is backordered.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 1:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m35ben] [#22]

lulz....how much they want to sell the first one for?
View Quote
I work in a repair shop not a dealership.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I opened a can of worms yesterday. Out of town job. Initially I was going to overhaul a c18 in a D9. No biggie, about a week. Day before I'm supposed to go I'm told one of their D8s lost 2nd gear and I need to fix that too, first actually. Bits of copper were in the suction screen among magnetic metal and clutch material. There's nothing copper in the trans. Yanked it. 2nd gear is destroyed. Frictions warped into disc blade shape with no material left, piston and housing ate up which explains the magnetic debris. Pulled the trans pump in hopes one of the bearings came apart to account for the copper, no joy. So now I'm yanking the torque converter in hopes it's from one of the brass/copperish bearing cages in there. After that it's got to be from a hyd pump drive gears behind the flywheel.

Looks like I'll be living out of a hotel the next 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
View Quote

one of the neatest ones in the country i might add.

A Ford Model A and a Russian armored car all in one day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

lulz....how much they want to sell the first one for?

you think they are gonna pay the bill?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate replacing entire vehicle harnesses

Especially when half the shit is behind the brake booster and hydraulic control unit

Fuck mice
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:14:01 AM EDT
[#27]
I hate replacing entire vehicle harnesses

Especially when half the shit is behind the brake booster and hydraulic control unit

Fuck mice
View Quote

Do Kia use the soy based wire jacket?
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 10:05:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#28]

View Quote

Everyone does.

No one has a choice in that matter anymore.

It was 1st done for environmentalism and then ironically it was discovered that it is actually cheaper.

They have been experimentings with soy based synthetic leather for interiors for a while now and probably 5 to 10 years from now it will actually be a thing
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:11:28 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
yes
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I tell you one thing, with the price of used cars going up people are fixing the big ass jobs more and more.

I have 2 piston/timing chain TFSI jobs on A4's line up in a row. $8500 on 2011's, have one engine sitting on the stand I came in Saturday to rebuild.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I tell you one thing, with the price of used cars going up people are fixing the big ass jobs more and more.

I have 2 piston/timing chain TFSI jobs on A4's line up in a row. $8500 on 2011's, have one engine sitting on the stand I came in Saturday to rebuild.
View Quote

Used car prices are now at near New car prices
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
another getting dumped. misfire cyl 3, engine locked up, I can't pull the spark plug out. something bad happened. looks expensive.

I love these cars
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#33]
My most recent build...

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Camera fixed it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Backorder backorder backorder that's all I fucking hear

Backorder

Fuck
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Everyone does.

It was 1st done for environmentalism and then ironically it was discovered that it is actually cheaper.

They have been experimentings with soy based synthetic leather for interiors for a while now and probably 5 to 10 years from now it will actually be a thing
View All Quotes

Everyone does.

I'll be damn. Good thing I don't have rat problems here.

Between the opossums, the snakes, the racoons and the cyotes , the birds of prey and the feral cats, they don't stand a chance lol
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#38]
yes
View All Quotes

yes

dang
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#39]
another getting dumped. misfire cyl 3, engine locked up, I can't pull the spark plug out. something bad happened. looks expensive.

I love these cars
View Quote

ouch...
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#40]

I'll be damn. Good thing I don't have rat problems here.

Between the opossums, the snakes, the racoons and the cyotes , the birds of prey and the feral cats, they don't stand a chance lol
View Quote

We had rabbits tearing up wiring on our lot in Montana. Luckily, it was Montana, so we brought out the BB guns and removed the rabbits

New parts manager started yesterday, seems to know his shit. One of those guys you talk to and can tell he knows what he's doing. We've been in a parts abyss for a few years now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:30:53 PM EDT
[#41]
My f150 has had harness that connects to intake manifold and a fuel line chewed through,  Glad it's a company truck cause they weren't cheap to fix.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Backorder backorder backorder that's all I fucking hear

Backorder

Fuck
View Quote

we are having the same issue at work, back order with no ETA.

Its a wide spread problem stemming from all the shut downs.
I ordered new wheels for my car in October, estimate was 4-5 months, now 6 months later ETA is Late June.

So now i need to get tires for my current wheels, i want PS 4S, Tire rack, out of stock, Local shops, out of stock, large supplier with warehouse, 2 in stock.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 9:04:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DirtDivision] [#43]
I gave notice last Friday that another company hired me. There was no offer to keep me around and it was made clear he couldn’t get me a raise then nor in the near future to stay.

Theyre letting  me work the two weeks and I am really surprised they haven’t cut me loose yet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
I gave notice last Friday that another company hired me. There was no offer to keep me around and it was made clear he couldn’t get me a raise then nor in the near future to stay.

Theyre letting  me work the two weeks and I am really surprised they haven’t cut me loose yet.
View Quote

sounds like a good move, if your current company can't pay you more then they may be in $$$$ trouble
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#45]

sounds like a good move, if your current company can't pay you more then they may be in $$$$ trouble
View Quote

They’re playing fuck fuck games. I was allowed to work Monday, pulled a double, was given a day off yesterday and told to report to the shop this morning. I went there fully intending to have to call for a ride home and packing my tools.

Turns out due to conflict of interests I can’t work the road but I can absolutely work in the shop doing rental machine prep.

I wonder if they’re trying to see who pulls the trigger first, I on the other hand can absolutely do mindless work for a week before I start somewhere else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:55:59 PM EDT
[#46]

They’re playing fuck fuck games. I was allowed to work Monday, pulled a double, was given a day off yesterday and told to report to the shop this morning. I went there fully intending to have to call for a ride home and packing my tools.

Turns out due to conflict of interests I can’t work the road but I can absolutely work in the shop doing rental machine prep.

I wonder if they’re trying to see who pulls the trigger first, I on the other hand can absolutely do mindless work for a week before I start somewhere else.
View All Quotes

Management is retarded at times.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:29:17 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

I say use that to his advantage.

If he plays his cards right it could be a permanent position.

That's saying if he wants it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Getting underbody protection installed on the 4Runner.

Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

good point./
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top