Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a slow week.  I'm already blaming the media over the corona virus hype.

We have remained dedicated to the "oscilloscope every day" challenge.  A team leader and I are scoping something every day to become more adept at using it.  Today I put a fuel pump in water and we used an amp clamp to watch it on the scope.  The pico scope is so fast that we can count the rotor commutators as they pass.  Its pretty neat.  After we ran it for a while we could see it start to act up and four of the eight commutators would have an increased current.  This pump was only drawing 3 amps pushing water with no load, but it pulled enough current in the car to melt a connector.  It was fun.

I am well versed at using a scope to look at CAN, but my old scope is an OTC solarity and nowhere near as capable as the pico scope is.  On the other hand, I don't know how to use the pico as well so we are going to be stepping our game up in that department.  MB is releasing their version of it soon, so we will have two, but only one will work with the MB diagnostic equipment.  They don't support the NON-MB pico scope and won't allow the software to be installed on the diagnostic equipment, we had to buy a cheap laptop to run it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Every once in a while something reminds me about a picoscope and I think I want to buy one. I'm not sure how often I'd use it but it would be invaluable at times. I got a lot of start-up costs out of the way in 2019 so maybe this year I will buy one. I also want to get a good handheld thermal scanner. A flir e6 xt would fit the bill for what I want.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Well the kid finally quit so life git better but now I'm I'm looking at hiring. So far most look like they want to be paid in meth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
Every once in a while something reminds me about a picoscope and I think I want to buy one. I'm not sure how often I'd use it but it would be invaluable at times. I got a lot of start-up costs out of the way in 2019 so maybe this year I will buy one. I also want to get a good handheld thermal scanner. A flir e6 xt would fit the bill for what I want.
View Quote
You need to come on over and join us for a weekend.  https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Cheesecake-Cold-War-2-Spring-Fling/8-641634/?page=1
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#6]
that's what I said to my girl about her car.

Making some rather expensive transmission sounds.

Shits fucked mate
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Playing with the o-scope today.  Performed a relative compression test.  Amazing.  I see cylinder five is low, and that's the one setting faults.  Borescope looks good, plug is clean, no injector leak.  Ash value 12000 on that cylinder.  Compression test one and five.with pressure transducer.  170 on one, 130 on five.  We tend to see injector problems most frequently, discuss and go with the easier option.  Put an injector in.  Misfire is worse.  Monday I'll revisit this and figure out what happened.

Learning to believe my test results over experience is going to be difficult and possibly costly.  I also don't see any reason why compression is low and I still haven't done cylinder leakage yet.  Could always be a valve i guess......

The pico scope is a bad mofo.  Extremely precise and fast, seems decently easy to use.  I'm enjoying the opportunity to really understand this stuff.  It reminds me of finally getting my head wrapped around the idea that cheap ammo is inconsistent shit that will frustrate you.  I've been using less effective and less efficient ways for a long time.  My personal scope has been great for what I do with it,  but it's nothing like the Pico set we have for the shop.  Of course it was badass in like 2008 or when ever it was that I bought it, but technology marches on and I can't even find accessories for that old thing now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Shop is dead.  And I mean dead.  I have two oil changes coming in and one car left to work on in the shop and the phone isn't ringing.  I personally think the covid-19 scare is doing this.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:
Shop is dead.  And I mean dead.  I have two oil changes coming in and one car left to work on in the shop and the phone isn't ringing.  I personally think the covid-19 scare is doing this.
View Quote
I know that feel

Our sister Nissan store right next door had 35 appointments and 10 of them canceled in one day

Shit is getting Beyond retarded.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

I know that feel

Our sister Nissan store right next door had 35 appointments and 10 of them canceled in one day

Shit is getting Beyond retarded.
View Quote
I am figuring about 2-3 months of no/minimal work at this point.  Followed by 2-3 months of 15 hr days trying to get it all done and make up for the dead months
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#11]
It’s happening folks. I work on fork trucks on the east coast and several of our customers are asking us to put off our work because they don’t want visitors.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#12]
We are still swamped at work, Conexpo is underway in Vegas but only a few critical employees are attending instead of a large turnout from all departments.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m expecting a drop in my department, we don’t get questions on how to do a 30k though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Same here.  Business has fallen off dramatically.  Its scary.  One guy dropped out of the vegas trip because he is afraid of getting stranded out there.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Some national training courses have been cancelled. I expect to be working virtually soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother said rush hour in Houston had been non existent the last couple days. We're still full speed ahead with work stacked up. Dirtwork and field mechanic work is pretty solitary so hopefully it stays that way. Then of course there's the landfills. They never stop.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#17]
We're still full speed ahead with work stacked up. Dirtwork and field mechanic work is pretty solitary so hopefully it stays that way. Then of course there's the landfills. They never stop.
View Quote
Landfill and mining stop for nobody.
We're swamped as well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Dead as hell today.  Stayed after and put the new tires on the corvette.  They are SO much quieter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lee-online] [#19]
Spent the day working on my own car.  It was nice to add some new parts to improve it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 7:06:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Thems some mighty purty and fancy lookin' parts you got there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Doors are propped open.  Hand sanitizer.  Bleach contact surfaces regularly.  We are now also going to a six on- six off rotation.  I report to work Thursday, and will be handling all foreman responsibilities as we cannot be there together. The shop is divided in to two teams.  If you come to work on your off time,  you will be immediately terminated on the spot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Our Governor declared all businesses close this passed Friday. At first we were going to only have a few people work to support our customers who will not close but by the end of the day our owner had talked with lawyers and stated, business as usual.

Everyone continue normal operations, still unlimited OT and office staff who can work remotely from home to do so.

Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
We're still and going to stay business as usual for the foreseeable future. If comrade Hidalgo decrees Harris county be locked down I suppose I will have to get my travel papers in order.

Going to the landfill tomorrow to see about a d6t that the transmission started overheating on and has metal in the filter.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I was given a bottle of sanitizer and a good luck. I work around the ports of NJ so I’m probably gonna catch this shit off some laborer.

FML
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll bet we all have a fair chance of catching it at some point. I could have it now and not know it, who knows. I am fairly certain though that with all the landfill work,  I've been exposed to all sorts of shit. I'm probably on covid-87 by now. Catch up slow pokes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#26]
Im out of town for work and was told in essential, which is no biggie cause I’m usually told that. But one of our mechanics on second shift was confirmed positive on Monday. So I spent today on paid leave in a hotel and will be doing the same tomorrow. And the hotel is forcing us to eat in our rooms. Worst part is not getting all the OT I was scheduled for this week.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:03:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#27]
So I've been dicking with this Optima for a solid week

Really strange little electrical problems, most notably it won't shift out of park, I've used a lot of spare donor components and such to help diag this damn thing, no dtc's, power and grounds to each of the components in question or fine, just seems like things are just supposed to work, so I thought maybe the can network was compromised but the wiring for the whole network is fine and Iv even swapped out a BCM, shet still doesn't work normally.

This morning humiliatingly I found a fuse that is blown, here's the kicker though, which also does not make me feel so bad about not noticing it

The module 1 fuse Powers the BCM the instrument cluster, the ATM solenoid indicator and the automatic air control head.

So guess which components still have power to them even though the fuse that supplies all power to those components is blown.

Yeah, we got major problems in harness somewhere.

Fun.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Tomorrow marks twenty years at my job.  

The work schedule is currently Thursday to Wednesday, then off until next Thursday.  My employer is guaranteeing 90% of January and February average hours to the flat rate employees.  I am stunned.  This is unprecedented.  Never have they done anything of the sort.  

We lost an A/C compressor outside.  A ten thousand dollar compressor was installed today.  I spoke with the tech and learned a little about the various line voltages and three phase motors.  He said that eight grand of the cost of the compressor was the 22HP electric motor that runs it.  Its a four cylinder unit with variable displacement which can shut off two of its cylinders.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Had a real head scratcher today. Was working on a Hyster 360HD, this forklift is powered by a Cummins 4.5 liter mated to a ZF trans. The main issue was throwing a code for  "inch sensor signal mismatch". I start to drive the truck around and try to replicate the issue. I myself could not do anything to replicate it but it would happen intermittently. Started paying attention to the truck and realized it only did it when the Brake cooling circuit was actively cooling the system.

I tilted the cab open and watched. Then i hooked my computer to the transmission and watched the screen. I could watch the voltage for the wiper on the inch pedal sensor drop out. I would then watch the hydraulic system. What i found was the wiring harness for the inch pedal was rubbed. When the cooling system opened up the hose flexed upwards just enough to ground out the wires underneath the cab.

About 4 hours worth of work trying to diagnose was fixed with about 10 minutes worth of splitting the harness apart and taping it up. Customer didn't want to put in a new harness so i made it work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Had a real head scratcher today. Was working on a Hyster 360HD, this forklift is powered by a Cummins 4.5 liter mated to a ZF trans. The main issue was throwing a code for  "inch sensor signal mismatch". I start to drive the truck around and try to replicate the issue. I myself could not do anything to replicate it but it would happen intermittently. Started paying attention to the truck and realized it only did it when the Brake cooling circuit was actively cooling the system.

I tilted the cab open and watched. Then i hooked my computer to the transmission and watched the screen. I could watch the voltage for the wiper on the inch pedal sensor drop out. I would then watch the hydraulic system. What i found was the wiring harness for the inch pedal was rubbed. When the cooling system opened up the hose flexed upwards just enough to ground out the wires underneath the cab.

About 4 hours worth of work trying to diagnose was fixed with about 10 minutes worth of splitting the harness apart and taping it up. Customer didn't want to put in a new harness so i made it work.
View Quote

Those issues are both hair pulling and very satisfying on the back end.

Last Monday my truck sprung an oil leak between the front housing and the engine block. Looked like a weekend job so I'm letting warranty handle it today and tomorrow.

I worked all day Saturday and half of Sunday turning thisAttachment Attached File

Into this
Attachment Attached File

so that I wouldn't be as far behind.

Not my finest finish work but it'll do for the tooling I had. Bore was egg shaped and mushroomed at ends. I had to pull out 4 broken bolts, open the smushed hole back up and hand grind the face back down to acceptably square. I bolted the new bearing retainer plate on and had to center and square my bar up on that. I bet I played with it for almost 2 hours getting it right. Cut it, machine welded, rough cut it, hand weldedthe spots that needed more material then did the finish cut, putting the shoulder in the correct place and then a makeshift face cut. I don't have a facing head yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:46:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Over 5 weeks since I have had work.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Damn it. The dealership told me they could knock it out the front cover reseal in about a day and a half. I set it up last week that I'd drop it off first thing this morning. It seemed pretty DEAD there as well. If they'd have told me any longer I'd have just done it myself.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skweeker] [#33]
I’m on my fifth week of no work too.

Shop owner decided to close for two weeks and reopen April 6.

He has decided to stay closed till at least April 27 but I feel he’ll decide to stay closed next week too.

I just saw a tweet by Georgia Governor Kemp saying barber shops, gyms and bowling alleys can reopen Friday April 24. Also says restaurants, theaters and social clubs can reopen on Monday April 27.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 7:10:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Those issues are both hair pulling and very satisfying on the back end.

Last Monday my truck sprung an oil leak between the front housing and the engine block. Looked like a weekend job so I'm letting warranty handle it today and tomorrow.

I worked all day Saturday and half of Sunday turning thishttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/8B9A7E17-E902-401B-A71F-B099D87B61E3_jpe-1377817.JPG

Into this
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/F4104F0A-3FAA-458F-8A1B-21CEF8ECA96E_jpe-1377818.JPG
so that I wouldn't be as far behind.

Not my finest finish work but it'll do for the tooling I had. Bore was egg shaped and mushroomed at ends. I had to pull out 4 broken bolts, open the smushed hole back up and hand grind the face back down to acceptably square. I bolted the new bearing retainer plate on and had to center and square my bar up on that. I bet I played with it for almost 2 hours getting it right. Cut it, machine welded, rough cut it, hand weldedthe spots that needed more material then did the finish cut, putting the shoulder in the correct place and then a makeshift face cut. I don't have a facing head yet.
View Quote

I did let out an audible "ah ha" when i finally figured it out.

Sorry to hear about your truck, I've been working out of another van and a few tool bags as my regular one went down on a bad fuel pump. Its a 2019 Transit with 15k miles so i wonder what will break next.

I am impressed by your ability with boring holes. makes me super jealous.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

We're working at barely 15 appointments a day three of us are on shift again at least
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#36]
We are still working and have enough work for the next few weeks but its getting slim.  We just finished a few big jobs and a couple more that were scheduled to come in have been put on hold for now.
Our yard is overflowing with our new and rental fleet, usually by this time it is all out on rent for the summer, we have millions and millions of dollars of equipment just sitting and making no money.
Non revenue generating employees are taking rolling layoff but us mechanics are ok for now. We can volunteer to take a temporary layoff if we want, You get to keep your benefits so a couple of the older guy took the offer.
Some of our customers are working, Mines, quarries and landfills but construction, pipelines and road works are shut down.

We really need to get the country back open.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:48:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#37]
Is it unreasonable for me to think up there should not be why are smaller than 20 gauge metric in a car?

I'm trying to fix a 22 gauge wire break here, I even had to go next door to Nissan to see if any of them had a pair of wire strippers that can do wire this small

Fucking unreasonable

Stupid aftermarket remote start bulshit tapping into the factory dash harness

I hope this solder connector doesn't that too much circuit resistance otherwise is going to need a 2k harness
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Is it unreasonable for me to think up there should not be why are smaller than 20 gauge metric in a car?

I'm trying to fix a 22 gauge wire break here, I even had to go next door to Nissan to see if any of them had a pair of wire strippers that can do wire this small

Fucking unreasonable

Stupid aftermarket remote start bulshit tapping into the factory dash harness

I hope this solder connector doesn't that too much circuit resistance otherwise is going to need a 2k harness
View Quote

Just use a razor blade.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:47:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#39]

Just use a razor blade.
View Quote

I don't have the hands for it

Already have everything stripped at least but I am now getting interrupted with other jobs
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:39:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Pro tip folks. If youre gonna calibrate a spicer transmission by way of CAN BUS make sure youre in the right CAN BUS port. It can easily save you the hassle of installing and uninstalling software multiple times, cleaning IFAK cable plugs, a couple phones calls and definitely the embarrassment of having a fellow coworker come check on you only to find that youre indeed in the “wrong hole”

In my defense i had never attempted to hook into a Spicer Tranny let alone a hyster reach stacker before. Oh well learn something new every day

@scatterbrains should find this amusing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Any MB techs on here that have encountered a CDI burning oil?  '12 GL350 CDI that the owner reports as consuming about 1qt/600 miles.  It's not going out the turbo.  Blowby?  But why?  Same engines do 500k in sprinters, this one has 150k.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

we're barely dragging through.

had my office guy painting.

got a few bigger jobs like timing chains and such.... but its like 2 phone calls a day rather than 5 an hour.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

got a few bigger jobs like timing chains and such.... but its like 2 phone calls a day rather than 5 an hour.
View Quote

Parts guy is painting too
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:30:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tmleadr03] [#44]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

View Quote

No calls 6 weeks now.  

Shop sure is clean though.

At least I didn't get the EIDL or PPP so I got that going for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:05:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LittlePony] [#45]
I hate a consistent but always goes to historical p050a

It is a near-impossible code for us to diagnose if it is not active

And the Freeze Frame data is useless because it lacks a few essential things needed to form a theory around

Is one of the few dtc's where I am basically forced to throw Parts at it
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Kevinski:
Any MB techs on here that have encountered a CDI burning oil?  '12 GL350 CDI that the owner reports as consuming about 1qt/600 miles.  It's not going out the turbo.  Blowby?  But why?  Same engines do 500k in sprinters, this one has 150k.
View Quote

Because the tune is different, the oil capacity is substantially reduced, and the drive cycles are drastically different, the om642 is a pile of shit in a passenger car application.  It's probably just leaking all the oil out anyway...  How are you certain that it's not the turbo?  Typically if they start using oil the dpf goes bye bye quickly.   I'd look for oil loss externally because a major leak is the norm.  Check the fill level of the dpf and determine if it is actually using the oil, and failing that what kind of oil is being used?  Does it have an issue with the oil level switch?  There was a bulletin about lowering the switch to prevent premature oil level warning.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Man I'm sorry to hear so many of you are slow. I've been as busy as ever here. Although right now I'm hung up on a couple of jobs that just aren't going right.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Can no one in the aftermarket make a decent or rebuilt alternator?!

And other news we are getting close back to full capacity
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Can no one in the aftermarket make a decent or rebuilt alternator?!

And other news we are getting close back to full capacity
View Quote
Neehoff, but they are a bit big for your application lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
Can no one in the aftermarket make a decent or rebuilt alternator?!

And other news we are getting close back to full capacity
View Quote

My friend works at a large Mercedes dealership.
He hasn’t worked in 8 weeks.
They are slowly ramping up but they are only up to 20 of 48 technicians at the moment.
He was only there for 1 year so he is at the bottom of the totem pole.
The Ford dealership he worked at previously closed.
He was there for 20 years.
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top