Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 348
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I will admit that lately those digital NV rat sniping videos from the UK have been very satisfying to watch.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
hay @Stuzmech

1927 FRANKLIN ENGINE TEAR DOWN. BAD PARTS!!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 2:22:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I’ve ever done it with ether but I have seen an old Detroit on a piece of Kershaw railroad equipment run backwards, then run away and subsequently implode.

Machine was being towed by a train consist had the transmissions pinned in neutral but not with the correct pin. That amount of play allowed it to jump into gear just enough to spin the hydraulic drive motor. It turned into a pump. Then spun the hydraulic pump which was hooked into a funk box. Started the engine and away she went. Eventually catching fire and imploding.

Ended up having to buy a used engine out of a drill rig, had that rebuilt and then could fix the machine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure is quiet in here. Merry Christmas all of you.

Been swamped at work like most of you I imagine. About 60 to 65 hours a week.

Took yesterday and today off. Got tired of looking at the mess in the garage and started sorting through some tools. Listed a bunch of Snap On in the EE if anybody is interested. Going to be adding more, but had to start getting ready for Christmas Eve.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:

Took yesterday and today off. Got tired of looking at the mess in the garage and started sorting through some tools. Listed a bunch of Snap On in the EE if anybody is interested. Going to be adding more, but had to start getting ready for Christmas Eve.
View Quote
December is my slow month.  I closed the shop since last Friday and won't go back till the 8th.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
I’m off till the 6th barring any emergency calls.
I will start working on my disaster of a garage tomorrow.
Once it’s clean I’ll go pick up a couple of packages that contain  the gaskets and bolts for my new engine build as well as the new stainless brake lines for my new Wilwood front brakes.

Unfortunately my new custom grind cams are 4-6 weeks late preventing me from advancing on my new engine build.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a shot of reality. I want to buy some thing like an old F600 service truck for some weekend work. I know the things are cheap for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
There are still some people that run those old f600 and f800 trucks everyday. Definitely not getting anywhere in a hurry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:58:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:
There are still some people that run those old f600 and f800 trucks everyday. Definitely not getting anywhere in a hurry.
View Quote
This, Had one when I worked for a construction company. 62 miles an hour top speed. Never had problems with it though. No regen either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
This, Had one when I worked for a construction company. 62 miles an hour top speed. Never had problems with it though. No regen either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I had a 1996 International 4600 with a mechanical DT466 (Last year). I put 500,000 highway miles on it and never had a breakdown besides a bad alternator.
Never took a drop of oil between oil changes.
Once you start those old mechanicals there is nothing stopping them including a total electrical failure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
Yeah they are slow. I was cleaning them and what not for the railroad back in the 90's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Didn't someone in here have a hatred for sprinter vans?
Saw this on fakebook and maybe it'll warm your heart.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Saw this on fakebook and maybe it'll warm your heart.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/D728FA4A-F181-4A56-AA58-DCCF9B5F11D5_jpe-1234678.JPG
View Quote
I have a hatred for all vans
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Its the vise grips that really ties it together

Link Posted: 1/15/2020 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Saw this on fakebook and maybe it'll warm your heart.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34327/D728FA4A-F181-4A56-AA58-DCCF9B5F11D5_jpe-1234678.JPG
View Quote
I'm sure I'm not who you are referring to, but god damn I hated the Sprinters I used to work on. Sprinter chassis with a mini bus body on it. Para-transit lift in the back, electric passenger doors.

They were on campus only. Most didn't get above 40 mph. Lots of idle time. Result is nightmares. Lots and lots of nightmares
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
And just like that, my pickup truck transmission decides to die. 06 GMC sierra, 4L60E.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
And just like that, my pickup truck transmission decides to die. 06 GMC sierra, 4L60E.
View Quote
What died? And is the 4L60E one that is known to go bad?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 3:57:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Sev89:
View All Quotes
If my YouTube certified troubleshooting is correct, the sun shell broke. So no reverse and sluggish acceleration.

Yes it's a common failure. They make beefier sun shells now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:40:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:
hay @Stuzmech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERERzPd6TY
View Quote
Good video, air cooled franklins are cool to work on very simple, I like that guy to, he's like a lot of old car guys he's definitely not a pebble beach guy
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Its the vise grips that really ties it together

https://i.imgur.com/5kZ9pvS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4L2RoDg.jpg
View Quote
Needs a disco ball
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#23]
If my YouTube certified troubleshooting is correct, the sun shell broke. So no reverse and sluggish acceleration.

View All Quotes

“The beast” sun shell is what you need
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 10:04:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Stutzmech:

Good video, air cooled franklins are cool to work on very simple, I like that guy to, he's like a lot of old car guys he's definitely not a pebble beach guy
View Quote
I own a Bugatti! Im more important than you!
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Newsflash....

If you transport a dog in your car, it makes your car smell like dog.

Complaining that warranty is somehow responsible for rectifying this makes my head full of fuck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Newsflash....

If you transport a dog in your car, it makes your car smell like dog.

Complaining that warranty is somehow responsible for rectifying this makes my head full of fuck.
View Quote
But what about my furbaby. Lol

I've been doing lots of software updates lately.

Put a DEF pump in a wheel loader today. The internal pressure sensor had failed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, I bought a new to me pickup. 2008 F-350. 6.4 powerstroke.

What am I in for?
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#28]

What am I in for?
View Quote
Lots more repair posts in this thread??  
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:36:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jason280:

What am I in for?
I knew that was coming.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:37:18 AM EDT
[#30]

What am I in for?
View Quote
Lots of cursing and complaining. At least the 6.0 you could bulletproof and make someone reliable. The 6.4 is another turd.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
You have been given an offer you can't refuse and have to work for one of these Brands, which do you choose?

Mercedes
BMW
Audi
Lexus
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:27:25 AM EDT
[#32]
You have been given an offer you can't refuse and have to work for one of these Brands, which do you choose?

Mercedes
BMW
Audi
Lexus
View Quote
I don't work well with others.  Dealerships suck.

All of those german cars break quite a bit and very expensively.  I have worked on them all.

Lexus is going to be easy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 4:20:42 PM EDT
[#33]

What am I in for?
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#35]

What am I in for?
View Quote
Pain and suffering.

I didn't want to be an ass but everyone else already piled on so...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Well the kid quit this weekend. Looks like he took a floor jack and battery charger with him.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#37]
My car got scratched today in the parking lot at work.  

I ordered lightbulbs for it a month ago.  They came from fucking Estonia.  Osram nightbreaker unlimited.  Hard to get.... Whatever I waited.  Today they arrived.  Except that they were not what I ordered, they were osram nightbreaker laser, which I could have gotten in two days from anywhere.

I carefully installed them.  They are not one fucking lumen different than the factory shit.  

The wiring inside the headlamp is losing its insulation.  I did a terrible job taping up the positive wire and separating the two wires inside.   Whatever, it'll do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Well last week I got a code for D solenoid in the transmission of my new to me truck.

Drained the fluid and dropped the pan. Replaced the solenoid. Had too much resistance in it.

Replaced the filter and new gender neutral shift (tranny) fluid.

Changed the engine oil and filter.

3 gallons in the trans and 4 gallons in the engine.

So far runs pretty good.

Has a Livewire TS tuner. Will have to see what I can do with that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I must revise my previous assessment, I see that the bulbs are indeed brighter and have a longer beam.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Did a PM on a Hyster 360 the other day. This unit had a little over 3,000 hours. One of the cleanest well kept Forklifts I’ve ever seen. Just look at this breather filter box.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
Did a PM on a Hyster 360 the other day. This unit had a little over 3,000 hours. One of the cleanest well kept Forklifts I've ever seen. Just look at this breather filter box.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/245997/CB2FD1E9-4C18-402A-A4CE-665AB7435878_jpe-1262011.JPG
View Quote
Shinny
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]
If it's stupid but it works it's not stupid right?
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#43]
i hardly know what i am looking at sorry
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
The bearings in the end of that excavator stick were worn out egg shaping the bore that the bearings get pressed into.

The machine you see set up is a bore welder and uses gas to shield the wire while welding.

My guess is the wind is blowing and blowing the shielding gas away from the welding wire.

So the genius doing the repair is using an umbrella to shield the shielding wire gas from being blown away. Resulting in a better weld to bore out and hold the bearings properly.

Am I right? @newguy2k3
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:46:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: newguy2k3] [#45]

The bearings in the end of that excavator stick were worn out egg shaping the bore that the bearings get pressed into.

The machine you see set up is a bore welder and uses gas to shield the wire while welding.

My guess is the wind is blowing and blowing the shielding gas away from the welding wire.

So the genius doing the repair is using an umbrella to shield the shielding wire gas from being blown away. Resulting in a better weld to bore out and hold the bearings properly.

Am I right? @newguy2k3
View Quote
Pretty much. Cold front blew in 30-40min before I got setup to weld it. 5mph wind turned into 15-20. I actually had the umbrella tied off to machine upwind. Can only run so much gas flow before the regulator freezes up.

I really need to give up on trying to do pin and bushing jobs ahead of cold fronts or storm systems. It pretty much dooms every one to become a build and bore job too.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#46]
A customer pay job that became a comeback?  That's my jam!

2014 E350.  Intermittent battery warning message displayed.

Fault code indicates an issue where the battery sensor sees a draw on the main battery, even though it was electronically disconnected.

Battery sensor was previously replaced.  Ammeter and sensor actual values agreed.  No aftermarket accessories were installed.  This is as far as the factory diagnostics go.

Problem occurs randomly.  Sometimes not for weeks, other times it is constant.

Testing doesn't indicate a problem.  Grounds are good, as is wiring.

Software for diagnostics isn't fully functional.

We discuss, decide to  put a prefuse box F32 in it because it contains the electronic battery disconnect diode.

A week of tests without fault.  Ship the car, it didn't go a full day without failure.

Pull fuse box and test wiring from front SAM to connector M10 on F32.....  Everything checks out.  Actuate the diode, a signal is sent and it's all stuff that you can see with a meter or a scope.

Discuss...  Throw a front SAM at it with the feeling that it isn't going to fix it.  Another two weeks of testing without failure.  Ship car, comes back again immediately.

*insert additional information.  The ECO start stop function doesn't work.  Well TBH i got it to work ONCE, but never again.  Ask about diagnosing this but customer doesn't care.  Only wants battery light to stop coming on.  I believe that they are related, as the system is for the ECO stop/start.

I chase a fault that doesn't show up on a diagnostic test, you can only find it by entering the front SAM and checking for faults there.  "Hot start signal from engine management implausible" .  Comes up as a current fault about one minute after engine start.  Every single time.  I don't know what this wire does or any it's even necessary.  No test information is available, diagnostic system simply has a continuity check, which is good.

Reinstall old SAM and fault is there too.  Are the faults related?   Possibly, but I cannot find any information about this or how it functions.

Getting really frustrated now.  Software starts working, find ECO stop/start information and it's not happy because "onboard electrical system" has a fault but it won't give me anything specific .  Parts cannon is detonated.  Usually electrical system fault means one of the batteries 99% of the time.  Slam both batteries in.  Nothing.  Rear SAM,  nothing (in case it reads battery sensor incorrectly).  Software for everyone.... Nothing.

Open tech support case.  Toss a auxiliary battery relay at it.  Nothing.

Tech support says the "Hot start signal wire" is something but doesn't know what the correct pattern is.  I have a signal on the wire that varies.....  Key on engine off, a flat line of 12v.  Engine running it starts slow and speeds up to a pwm type signal with about 3 volts of variance.  I'm using a 5ms scale on scope to see it.

Scope the same wire on a different car.  12v key on engine off... Start engine and she drops to a 9v signal which is steady.... Straight line no pattern.

Tech support says check one more car.  Check another, same engine, same system, different model car.  Wire is a different color but same pin locations, diagnostic information says "no information available" .   Pattern is identical to the other known good car.

The wire has only 3v when disconnected from SAM.  SAM doesn't set a fault if wire is unplugged, but engine control module does.  Signal only present from engine module side.

Tech support agrees its a bad ecu.   Now we need the customer to buy it.

Some twenty hours of diag and tons of parts swapped.  All for free.  Because you know the stealer is always out to fuck everyone over.

Lessons were learned here, and the diagnostic information is often less than desired.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#47]
2020 gle350.  Wiring diagram does not show how the alternator is connected to the engine control unit.  Wire colors are incorrect.  Chase our tails for a while, find that using a 2020 C class diagram is accurate for the engine so we do that.  Take apart the harness, test everything, it's good.  Put  back together, current fault code for a solenoid.  Begin to recheck all the work we just did.... Touch the harness and the code goes away.  Fuck it order a wiring harness.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#48]
2016 glc intermittent a.c. Inop.  Get car in failed state, no communication with ac module.  Do non invasive tests, eventually have to unplug module.  As soon as it's unplugged and plugged in, it begins working.  Easy enough, order a module.  Ship car, it comes back doing exactly the same thing.

Cycle power to ac module it comes back and won't fail.  Do extensive wiring tests.  Nothing.  We decided to replace ignition switch.  Ac failed first time it was started.  Cycle power, it's back.  FUCK.  try loading battery during engine start, still unable to reproduce issue.  New module is dated only two months different from old.  Order another.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#49]
2020 gle350.  Wiring diagram does not show how the alternator is connected to the engine control unit.  Wire colors are incorrect.  Chase our tails for a while, find that using a 2020 C class diagram is accurate for the engine so we do that.  Take apart the harness, test everything, it's good.  Put  back together, current fault code for a solenoid.  Begin to recheck all the work we just did.... Touch the harness and the code goes away.  Fuck it order a wiring harness.
View Quote
ouch
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#50]
2016 glc intermittent a.c. Inop.  Get car in failed state, no communication with ac module.  Do non invasive tests, eventually have to unplug module.  As soon as it's unplugged and plugged in, it begins working.  Easy enough, order a module.  Ship car, it comes back doing exactly the same thing.

Cycle power to ac module it comes back and won't fail.  Do extensive wiring tests.  Nothing.  We decided to replace ignition switch.  Ac failed first time it was started.  Cycle power, it's back.  FUCK.  try loading battery during engine start, still unable to reproduce issue.  New module is dated only two months different from old.  Order another.
View Quote
Pin tension in the connector of the AC module could be fucked

if it is a variable 2 wire solenoid for the compressor, check the electrical schematic, ours are controlled directly by the AC control module, if pin fit or wire resistance is wonky it will make the compressor do all sorts of strange things

check the easiest to get to connectors along its path and have a fellow tech jiggle the harness as you stare at the live data and see if the compressor recognize that it is on for a second or two, make sure it is in graph mode or you might miss it.

@saturnstyl
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top