Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
I always run Moble 1 Synthetic Oil in my pickup a 95 Nissan V6 with 165k. I do this because I belive that it is better than reg dino oil and will hopefully extend engine life. Also My engine is a 3.0L V6 and it only takes 3.5 Quarts which to me seems like a rediculously small amount of oil so I figured useing good stuff was important as there wasnt a lot to go around. So At 165k I changed my oil and sent in a sample for analysis. I ran 4100 miles on that oil change. It said that I have an above normal amount of Iron in the oil and that According to the amount of additive package left I need to drop to 3K mile changes. I was hoping to push it to 5k. So I ask is it worth it to pay $6 a quart for my application? I also run bosch filters.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  If your oil analysis shows high iron, you should be using cheap oil and a can of STP.  

Starting to save for a rebuild would be a good plan too.  Use the savings from cheap oil.  

Was there copper in the analysis too?  Guess where it comes from?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#2]
no there was no copper. only places that Iron could come from is the block or crank I belive. it was at 65ppm. The notes claim that it may be normal for a motor with that many miles but who knows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top