Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
I always run Moble 1 Synthetic Oil in my pickup a 95 Nissan V6 with 165k. I do this because I belive that it is better than reg dino oil and will hopefully extend engine life. Also My engine is a 3.0L V6 and it only takes 3.5 Quarts which to me seems like a rediculously small amount of oil so I figured useing good stuff was important as there wasnt a lot to go around. So At 165k I changed my oil and sent in a sample for analysis. I ran 4100 miles on that oil change. It said that I have an above normal amount of Iron in the oil and that According to the amount of additive package left I need to drop to 3K mile changes. I was hoping to push it to 5k. So I ask is it worth it to pay $6 a quart for my application? I also run bosch filters.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/10/2006 8:10:23 PM EDT by wildearp]
No. If your oil analysis shows high iron, you should be using cheap oil and a can of STP.

Starting to save for a rebuild would be a good plan too. Use the savings from cheap oil.

Was there copper in the analysis too? Guess where it comes from?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:25:39 AM EDT
no there was no copper. only places that Iron could come from is the block or crank I belive. it was at 65ppm. The notes claim that it may be normal for a motor with that many miles but who knows.
Top Top