Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:52 PM EDT
I have been looking into getting a Bronco for awhile now. and It looks like it may happen soon. I really like the 78 and 79 Broncos But I have also been looking at the 80-86 and even newer I would like to know Which year you guys suggest and Why? I know this is VERY vague but I want a rig that is a good Daily driver that WILLL be lifted and will see some action off the road. I was thinking 6 inch lift and tires to match

What size engine do you guys suggest? Is the 460 the way to go on the old ones. Or should it be the 300 6 cyl.?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#1]
The six is a nearly-bulletproof engine, but it's gonna have a tough time turning 35's.  The 80+ Broncos have the twin traction beam front suspension, which is not great for wheelin'.  Look for 8 mpg in town, 10 on the highway with a tailwind

Here's a pic of my old Bronco (getting towed out of a lot of mud and water by a BIG tow truck--I found fish on top of the engine the next day and the engine was full of mud...oops):

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Do it like this

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That looked fun Chairman!

I didn't expect good gas mileage or even Decent mileage but I also want something reliable thats why I was leaning towards the 80s years... and I thought with 6 inchs of lift I could run 37s? Or am I wrong.

Legalese that is Sick! I was defently thinking of laying a camo down if the paint is in bad shape or if its just an off color scheme.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a lead on a 1984 Bronco with a 460 in it and a roll bar (looks factory) but its something... could be promising.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You can stuff 35's under it with minimal trimming stock height, granted, travel will be limited.
If you are looking at newer ones...go late 80's early 90's, fuel injected ones are light years ahead of the carbureted ones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top