Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 1:16:58 PM EDT
Every damn week I a fixing the thing.  Latest was the air filter.  It needed changing and in the process of getting the old one out, I broke the crankcase breather hose elbow.  The plastic was thin and brittle...no time for the dealer so I made a replacement from PB plastic tube and a heat gun.  The replacement got her approval, it works fine and most importantly, it was cheap.  And the jackleg that installed the last one ripped the hell out of the filter gasket!  She will never take her car back to that overpriced screwball.

Next fix is the fuel filler vent hose.  Somewhere it is crimped, making filling very slow.  I have to wait until the tank is nearly dry as that has to come out.

Then the rear shocks are shot.  She had the fronts replaced before we met.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Every damn week I a fixing the thing.  Latest was the air filter.  It needed changing and in the process of getting the old one out, I broke the crankcase breather hose elbow.  The plastic was thin and brittle...no time for the dealer so I made a replacement from PB plastic tube and a heat gun.  The replacement got her approval, it works fine and most importantly, it was cheap.  And the jackleg that installed the last one ripped the hell out of the filter gasket!  She will never take her car back to that overpriced screwball.

Next fix is the fuel filler vent hose.  Somewhere it is crimped, making filling very slow.  I have to wait until the tank is nearly dry as that has to come out.

Then the rear shocks are shot.  She had the fronts replaced before we met.  

What kind of car is it?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm guessin a chebby lol....j/k hehe
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
shoulda bought a toyota!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i'm guessin a chebby FORD lol....j/k hehe

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:19:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Its assembled by....Auto Alliance???WTF? Yep, here in the good old US of A.  Half the parts are FoMoCo, the others are Mazda.

626 with 5 speed.  2.5 liter V6, a real honey of an engine.  Its runs great so she has no plans to get rid of it, seeing how I can fix everything that has broken so far.

Yes, I have done timing belts on that engine.  No biggie but it is soon due.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
One must remember-  "Service for Sex" is the way to keep the car, girlfriend, and of course the repairman happy!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One must remember-  "Service for Sex" is the way to keep the car, girlfriend, and of course the repairman happy!

Hell yeah!  She wears me OUT!  But in a good way...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:00:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A damn Mazda!

I once had a girlfriend with a worn out Mazda that I had to fix all the time.  Tell her to trade that piece of shit in on a gently used Honda, Toyota, Ford/Mercury, or G.M. product.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#9]
See my sig line.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
See my sig line.

"Women exchange sex for whatever they want. Men exchange whatever they have for sex. Call it prostitution, or call it marriage..." Fred Reed

Whats the lady friend think of that?  Curious?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I also drive an older car.  Its a 1991 Nissan Sentra with 194,000 miles.  Ive been very fortunate so far....however it has a vibration on the front end that I only notice at highway speeds.  I pulled the wheel, checked the tie rod end and lower control arm and nothing seems loose to me.  Not sure what is causing it.  Like your girlfriends Mazda, my car runs like a top, and shows no signs of stopping.  Even has original clutch, and suspension, neither are worn.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I also drive an older car.  Its a 1991 Nissan Sentra with 194,000 miles.  Ive been very fortunate so far....however it has a vibration on the front end that I only notice at highway speeds.  I pulled the wheel, checked the tie rod end and lower control arm and nothing seems loose to me.  Not sure what is causing it.  Like your girlfriends Mazda, my car runs like a top, and shows no signs of stopping.  Even has original clutch, and suspension, neither are worn.  

Struts are shot.  Cheap fix but remember to replace the strut bearings as they are also shot.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:36:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A damn Mazda!

I once had a girlfriend with a worn out Mazda that I had to fix all the time.  Tell her to trade that piece of shit in on a gently used Honda, Toyota, Ford/Mercury, or G.M. product.

It is paid for, it looks great and it runs fine.  Plus it gets good mileage, it has ABS, airbags and leather seats.  Its just in need of a good mechanic to fix the 10 years of ignorance/poor service.  The issues are with piss poor service, save the fuel tank vent.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I also drive an older car.  Its a 1991 Nissan Sentra with 194,000 miles.  

Enjoy it.  We finally gave up our '94 with 274,700 miles because it needed the timing chain replaced, and the auto shop quoted us around $1,000 to do it.     Still ran great on the highway, up until the last 15 miles.  Had the thing towed away when it finally wouldn't keep running.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:06:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Still cheaper than a 10 year old kid.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I drive a 20 year old car and love it.  Paid for and nothing like driving a old bmw technology!

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I drive a 20 year old car and love it.  Paid for and nothing like driving a old bmw technology!

img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/vedubin01/DSCN0038.jpg

That's got to be one of the best looking older BMW's I have ever seen. I am not familiar with them but it looks like you put a lot of time and attention to detail into it. Good job.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Very nice looking bimmer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Original owner?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Holy shit, I've been looking for an old M3 like that... before all the stupid fucking computers and shit, when BMW was more about racing and not luxury... that thing is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Is that really an M3?  Didn't look like it had the Bumps around the wheels...

Either way, hell of a nice E30.   They are among my favorites.

AFARR
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Struts are shot.  Cheap fix but remember to replace the strut bearings as they are also shot.

Is there a way to be sure about that?  The idea of throwing money at a 15 year old daily driver isnt my idea of a good time.  Arent struts expensive?  The suspension seems to be working ok, because the front end isnt bouncy, the bumps in the road seem to be absorbed well.  However, the front end is kindy noisy on bumpy terrain.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:10:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

wow, I am SO jealous. What a beaut!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Damn that's nice looking!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top