Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 12:55:48 PM EDT
Hi,

I want to get a BASIC fullsize pick-up truck and I'm looking for suggestions as to the model & year to get.

Here's what I'm looking for:
-full/long bed (so I can stack 4x8 sheets of plywood completely inside)
-extended cab (but not a 4-door-type)
-mostly on-road
-2x4 or 4x4
-V6 or V8 or diesel
-don't care for a lot of additional "bells & whistles"
-used (within last 10 years) or new
-looking to spend no more than $18,000

I would like to know what truck model/year you would recommend.
Was there a particular truck/year that was exceptionally reliable?
What's the best deal out there?

Thanks,
AE
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't help you out with a recommendation.
but am curious to see what others come up with.

The extended-cab, but not crew-cab, with the
full 8' bed is really going to narrow your choices.
Most extended-cabs have the 6.5' bed, and most
of the big guys, like the F250, have the crew-cab.

Happy hunting.
DanM
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't get a V6 for a full size. It will be underpowered. Even before you load 1 4X8 sheet in the back. I like my '96 GMC Sierra , but alot is personal prefrence.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Ford Super Duty F250 or F350 Super Cab with 8 ft. bed 1999 to 2002 preferalbly with the 7.3 liter powerstroke.  If you can find one with the 6 speed manual tranny you have the ideal truck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Chevy

My dad previously owned a 1997 Chevy C2500 with the 305(5.0 liter) engine, automatic, long bed, and the basic("Cheyenne") trim package.  Regular cab. Paid $7200 for it in July 2004.

My dad just grabbed a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 with the 4.3 V-6, automatic, extended cab(albeit a four door, if you want the extended cab with no half doors you'll have to look at a 1997 or earlier.)

My BIL had a 2001 Chevy Silverado, same engine as above, but manual and regular cab.  The Chevys are damn reliable.  The '97 was trouble free save for a fuel pump and an alternator.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe a low miles 1998 Chevy 4x4 extd cab with a 350 in it would fit the bill. Once you get to the newer body style in the 1999 half tons, prices fluctuate widely. The 1994-1998 (or 2000 if you're talking about 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks) are going to be 3 body styles in the past in the next year since GM is re-designing the fullsize trucks again, so their retail prices will continue to drop.

Course, that's all my opinion. You might also want to keep an eye out for a Chevy 4x4 w/5.3L in the 1999-2002 range. There might be a few in your price range as they get older.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
First generation Dodge Ram 2500 with the 360  (high torque, not the same as the one in the 1500) so that woudl be about 95 to 02.   That should be under 10k.   You could get the Cummins for probably 10 to 15k, but get one with a stick, not an auto.

An early Superduty F250  (99 to about 02) woudl be easily gettable with the V10, might be tougher with the PSD for your price range.  Should be plenty of retiring work trucks like you need.  Do not get the V8, it's underpowered and gets the same mileage as the V10.

this generation Chevy (01?) with the smaller motor should work fine

They are all reasonably similar.  The dodge has crappy auto-transmissions, but fine manual's.  the early Ford's aren't so hot on auto transmissions behind the PSD's either.  Check out edmunds.com for prices, reviews, etc

OH yes, in the past 10 years i've owned
95 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7L (360) gas, 5 spd, regular cab, long bed 4wd
03 Ford F250 Supercab, long bed, v10 4wd, 6 spd
02 Ford F350 Crew Cab dually, long bed, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd
06 Chevy 2500HD, Crew Cab long bed, Duramax, 6spd Allison (which is relaly awesome but way out of your price range)

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
95 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7L (360) gas, 5 spd, regular cab, long bed 4wd

360 is a 5.9L

350 is 5.7L (or that's what they call both of them, mathmatically, they don't come out to their posted Liter ratings IIRC)

But I agree that the 360 in the heavier trucks has a lot of torque (I'm driving a 1994 3500 w/360). Loaded to the gills with wood in back, it will run exactly the same as without, quite impressive, actually.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
ok here is my input as a GM and Ford certified ASE mechanic

if you go dodge!:
do not get a full size truck with a automatic in it, dodge had many mnay problems with there transmisions mainly the fluid pump but i have seen many 99's even with 70,000 and they are on there 3rd tansmission, if you go dodge make sure to get  a standard if you can handle it other then that there is one more thing EVERYONE SAYS NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACMENT, BUT IN DODGES CASE THER EIS, THEY MAKE TWO POPULAR GAS ENGINES IN THEIR PICKUPS THE 318 AND THE 360 MY MAIN EXSPERIENCE IS THAT THE 360 AVERAGES ABOUT NO MOR ETHEN 10 MILES TO A GALLON AND YOU DONT REALLY GET A WHOLE LOT MORE POWER STCIK WITH THE 318 PLENTY ON POWER AND BETTER MILEAGE

if you go chevy:
any solid chevy will do, the only suggestion i have is if you are gonna work at all with the truck find one with a 4L60 or $L80 transmission (automatic) stay away fromt he 700R4 autos, i know they corrected the problems they had with overdrive shitting the bed but the $L's are much stronger and msarter, they are controlled by the computer and always seem smarter, (staying int he right gears) ALSO THE 327 IS A PEPPY LITTLE ENGINE AND IF YOU GET A HALF TON OR 3/4 THE 327 IS A GOOD BLEND OF POWER, AND ALSO IF YOU CAN STAY 1996 OR NEW THESE TRUCK WILL HAVE THE NEW 3RD GENERATION VORTEC ENGINES IN THEM, FROM 96-99 THEY HAD 330HP 350'S WHICH ARE A REALLY NICE ENGINE AND THEY GET MUCH BETTER FUEL MILEAGE THEN 95'S DUE TO MUTI PORT FUEL INJECTION RATHER THEN tbi INJECTION

iF YOU GO FORD: WHICH I HOPE YOU DONT I WORKED IN A FORD DEALERSHIP AND I AM fORD cERTIFIED I JUST DONT SEE MANY OF THEM WORTH ANYTHING ALTHOUGH I HAVE TO ADMIT NEVER EVER BUY A 1/2 TON FORD PICKUP THE SUPER DUTIES ARE DECENT BUT DONT HOLD A CANDLE STICK TO OTHER SIN MY OPINION THEY JUST NOT MY KIND OF TRUCK

Toyota : dont be affraid to look into the toyota tundras either they are nice little trucks and toyota does make a fine quality and extremly tough product

hope i helped in some way
if you do end up finding one you might want you can feel free to Instant message me
good luck and happy huntin
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
My input-

For a 1/2 ton stay with GM. Definitely a V8. You will not go wrong.

In a 3/4 I would go with a Ford. I hate Fords as a general rule but I do think they make a better heavy duty vehicle unless you can step up to a newer Duramax Chevy.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
EVERYONE SAYS NO REPLACMENT FOR DISPLACMENT, BUT IN DODGES CASE THERE IS, THEY MAKE TWO POPULAR GAS ENGINES IN THEIR PICKUPS THE 318 AND THE 360 MY MAIN EXSPERIENCE IS THAT THE 360 AVERAGES ABOUT NO MOR ETHEN 10 MILES TO A GALLON AND YOU DONT REALLY GET A WHOLE LOT MORE POWER STCIK WITH THE 318 PLENTY ON POWER AND BETTER MILEAGE

I completely disagree with you on this one.

Don't mean to start any shit, but mine gets 12-13mpg consistently (I've checked a many times).

360 w/manual tranny.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Dodge makes a wonderful heavy vehicle, and consistantly get the WORST mileage of all trucks. The diesel engine isn't bad, but the Dodge gas motors are a joke. Sorry, not flaming you or your truck. Like I said Dodge heavy trucks are great if you need anything larger than a half ton.

My 2002 GMC half ton, 5.3 motor pulls just shy of 20 mpg (when I keep my foot out of it). Tow's 8500 lbs, runs the 1/4 in 14.2 sec, and has room for the family.

The engine's in GM's are based on the LS1 Corvette motors. Very strong and efficient.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Believe you me, I hate Dodge. I'm a Chevy guy. I'm just touting the 12-13mpg because my 1984 Blazer got 10.........if I was lucky..........and I'm hardly ever lucky.

I got the 3500 because it was cheap (i.e. less than $3000) but had a blown motor. Got 'er fixed and was getting that kind of mileage right from the get-go, even with my no-so-slow driving habits.

My dad and I are going to be fixing up my Grandpa's old '78 ChevyHD 4x4 3/4 ton with a 400SB in it in the next couple months and I'll be giving this to my brother (he's a Dodge guy) so I'll be back driving the best truck in the world shortly.

WIZZO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top