Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 4:58:41 PM EDT
I  just picked up a 1985 oldsmobile delta 88 and I am in need of information. I am planning on doing a tune up because it was sitting since october. I need someone to help me figure out what I will need to tune it up. Here is my list if I am missing anything please let me know

1. spark plugs / wires
2. oil / oil filter
3. antifreeze / flush kit
4. air cleaner (filter)
5. fuel filter
6. pcv valve

I know there is more but I cant think of them so if you have any suggestions please tell me!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably drain the master cylinder, fill with fresh fluid and bleed with a vacuum pump until you get clear fluid
You might want to change the transmission fluid and filter too
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I just sold my 89 Delta 88 today, strange timing for this post. If you change the  oil, filters, and plugs.  you should be set unless there is something else wrong with it.  If its been sitting since October, it might take a couple hundred miles to get the bugs worked out.  Mine had 250,400 miles on it and ran as smooth as it did when it was new, if you got a well maintained one they are solid cars.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#3]
how do I respond to your posts without getting a btt violation or is that just for the EE posts?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, judging by a buddy of mine back in highschool, weld a chrome brush breaker to the front bumper.  Then put on a motorcylce helmet and drive around town.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd probably drain the master cylinder, fill with fresh fluid and bleed with a vacuum pump until you get clear fluid

How do I drain the tranny and change the fluid?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, judging by a buddy of mine back in highschool, weld a chrome brush breaker to the front bumper.  Then put on a motorcylce helmet and drive around town.

Semper Fi

lmao
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just sold my 89 Delta 88 today, strange timing for this post. If you change the  oil, filters, and plugs.  you should be set unless there is something else wrong with it.  If its been sitting since October, it might take a couple hundred miles to get the bugs worked out.  Mine had 250,400 miles on it and ran as smooth as it did when it was new, if you got a well maintained one they are solid cars.

a quarter million miles damn!!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a 1985 Delta 88 Royale Brougham in Silver. Absolutely unbreakable (except for all the electronic switchgear). If I can dig up a picture I will post it.

I would pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning as well.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#11]
cap and rotor would be good while you're doing the plugs and wires
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
hey guys I need some parts anyone parting out a delta 88 I will pay for the parts and shipping. the car is going for inspection soon and all my local junk yards are just crushing cars and not parting them out
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do I drain the tranny and change the fluid?

I don't know about your particular model, a pic might help

Normally, you unbolt the pan on the bottom of the transmission and let the fluid drain out

before you do that, you're going to want to get:
pan to drain fluid into
new pan gasket and filter(some don't have filters)
new fluid(you can also drain the torque converter, it holds a lot of fluid)
scraper to scrape the old gasket off
gasket sealant to use on the pan gasket
and, of  course a couple of sockets and a ratchet

Hope that helps
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Torque converters have drain plugs????
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
some do....but I doubt you find a drain plug on a  Gm trans.

oh yeah...and don't put a bunch of rtv or other crap  on the gasket.....the gasket will seal well enough on its own, if you do it right.....and a "sealant" is a guaranteed leak.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Most of the ones I have seen do, usually square drive, allens on some German vehicles

Gasket sealant...............MOST gasket sealant gets squeezed out when you tighten the bolts of whatever you are sealing up

KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN YOU ARE APPLYING THE SEALANT

Just use a THIN layer, I like to run a bead all around the perimeter then use a finger to spread it out, thicker in the middle

You don't really need ANY on out at the edge since the sealant in the middle will be squeezed outward\inward

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The only picture I could find of mine... in the background obviously:

One that bounced off my corner fence post and survey marker on New Year's Eve:

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I soooo miss my 1983 Buick Electra Limited.  1st car, and it would do anything I asked of it except get good mileage.  It didn't catch its 1st wind until after 35mph, but I could do 130mph without it even straining.  Goddamn that thing was comfortable...And even went places that people said it had no right to go, and did things that 4x4's couldnt (albeit 4x4's controlled by idiot highschoolers at the time).

If I get a chance to buy another one, I will.  It was like this, only white:

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#20]
As far as stuff to repair or refresh goes, get a grease gun and do all the fittings up front and the drive shaft.  Check your tie-rods.  Buy a seal for the rear end (pumpkin) and drain and refil the rear-end lube.  80-140wt should do very nicely.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of the ones I have seen do, usually square drive, allens on some German vehicles

Gasket sealant...............MOST gasket sealant gets squeezed out when you tighten the bolts of whatever you are sealing up

KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN YOU ARE APPLYING THE SEALANT

Just use a THIN layer, I like to run a bead all around the perimeter then use a finger to spread it out, thicker in the middle

You don't really need ANY on out at the edge since the sealant in the middle will be squeezed outward\inward

Well I was being sarcastic but honestly didn't know that. I've only messed with 1 auto trans and that was when I pulled a th350 out of my Firebird and put in the Muncie 4spd. I didn't however notice a drainplug on the torque converter.

Auto trans are the devil.......

Definitley grease everything that has a grease zert. Most people never grease anything on a car unless it goes to a dealer. Change the diff oil, again something most people never do. Standard tune up on the ignition. Check brake fluid, check pads/shoes. Check wheel cylinders. Check muffler bearings and the belt stretcher plasma filter and you should be set!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#23]
If you need boneyard parts, go to www.car-part.com.
It's a search engine for junkyards....  Search by state/make/model/ect.
VERY useful and I've found MANY hard to find parts through it.  

May want to buy a can of engine degreaser and spray down the whole engine compartment.  A clean engine will run better, cooler, more efficient, ect.  I just use the whole can, and rinse with a garden hose.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:03:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May want to buy a can of engine degreaser and spray down the whole engine compartment. A clean engine will run better, cooler, more efficient, ect.  I just use the whole can, and rinse with a garden hose.    

Do this BEFORE you swap your spark plug wires, and put a bag over the alternator.   The GM alternators on the 3800s are very "picky" about getting degreaser/water in them.

the brassmobile is an 89 Delta 88, BTW  hr

Thanks for adding that, I forgot to mention it.  I've never put a bag over the alt., I just don't spray directly at it.  I've only dealt with GM 3.1's, 3100's, & Ford 1.8's and I've never had to put a bag over them.  

I may be getting a 3800 soon though, so it's good to know that they can be picky about the liquids.
Thanks!    
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:07:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
This may sound silly but only takes a couple of seconds. Have somebody stand behind the vehicle and verify that all the lights in the back ar eworking. Driving around with no tail lights is teh suck.

You can also back up to a store that has windows to the ground
That's how most of the inspectors check them using one person
(its actually a lot easier than having two people doing it)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I have some more questions for you guys

First I thank you guys for the info it was helpful

Unfortunatly I need a new winshield to pass PA inspection

so here are the questions

1. Is there any way to flush the radiator (cooling system) with out using a flush kit? Because I don't want to cut any hoses and the kits require that.

2. what are the capacities for the Motor oil and the coolant? how much of what should I use?

3. my windshield washer motor is beat (I think)

ok my windshield wipers work with no problems at all

I cleaned the hoses and both pre-hose filters and the jets also

but no washer fluid

Whats the deal???  is it common???

Thanks once again guys
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top