Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 7:29:38 AM EDT
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix 2.8L

I was going 60 mph down a highway when it started stalling.  I would accelerate and all of a sudden it was like someone cut the fuel line and there was no gas going to the injectors.

At one point the engine just stopped accelerating so I had to pull over.  I was going 45 mph and it stopped accelerating, but the engine was still idling.  I pulled over and the engine cut out.

This happened before, where the mechanic said it was a transaxle sensor???  I am not sure the car even has one.  Anyway, the same thing basically happened before, but it got to the point where the car would not even start.  The engine would turn, but it would not start.

When he was replacing the sensor, he sheared it off and half of it fell in the oil pan so I had to replace the oil pan as well.

Does anyone know what sensor this is that sits on the oil pan???

Does anyone know what the problem is???
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of a transaxle sensor, how about Crank angle sensor or Cam angle sensor sound familar ?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
how about Crank angle sensor or Cam angle sensor sound familar ?

yup
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Sure, that sounds familiar...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
That's your Crank Position Sensor, they are in a real tight spot and break easily, although I never had one drop in the pan.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
If it stalls at high speed/load -- It might be that the fuel filter's full of water, or just plugged/needs replaced.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
When I worked as a shop and office manager in texas we had a pontiac grand prix come in to the shop with a similar problem.  We did a lot of tests and finally found out that it was the fuel injector system.  The pontiac is notorious for this and the fact that the fuel pump and fuel strainer do the same things if there is any thing else that I can tell you let me know.  Oh and my bestfriend had the same thing happen to her pontiac.  Check these things first and also check to see if there has been a recall on that part.

Quoted:
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix 2.8L

I was going 60 mph down a highway when it started stalling.  I would accelerate and all of a sudden it was like someone cut the fuel line and there was no gas going to the injectors.

At one point the engine just stopped accelerating so I had to pull over.  I was going 45 mph and it stopped accelerating, but the engine was still idling.  I pulled over and the engine cut out.

This happened before, where the mechanic said it was a transaxle sensor???  I am not sure the car even has one.  Anyway, the same thing basically happened before, but it got to the point where the car would not even start.  The engine would turn, but it would not start.

When he was replacing the sensor, he sheared it off and half of it fell in the oil pan so I had to replace the oil pan as well.

Does anyone know what sensor this is that sits on the oil pan???

Does anyone know what the problem is???

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
OK guys.  My car has been tripping sensors by the butt load in recent years.  I went to another forum (automotive) and someone there was telling me that it is possible that the cause is a bad ECM.  It seems logical.  I just want a little more input before I spend $230 on a part that I may not need.....

ETA:

I just found out that there is a core charge, meaning if I can bring in the old one, I get a discount of like $70.

The only problem is they do not have ACDelco.  Do you recommend buying a different brand or sticking with ACDelco?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top