Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2006 7:56:39 PM EDT
I own a business. To operate my business, I own a couple of pickups (one of which you can see to the left of this post) and a 16' cargo trailer. The trailer weighs approximately 5,000lbs loaded. It goes with me everywhere I go when I go to work. Up until now, my non-commercial license has allowed me to drive and tow my trucks and trailer legally. However, just now I stumbled upon this gem at the CT DMV website:

Classification of Licenses
Effective January 9, 2006, the following are the new definitions of classifications, endorsements and restrictions that appear on Connecticut operator licenses:

Commercial:

Class A – Any motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle, including combination of vehicles.

Class B - Single vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Class C – Single vehicle 26,000 lbs or less GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Non-Commercial Base License:

Class D - Any motor vehicle that does not require a CDL.

I'm thinking CT is now forcing me to get atleast a CDL class C license (pickup is under 26,000lbs and trailer is under 10,000lbs). Apparently, CT drivers can no longer tow ANY trailer, regardless of weight, without a CDL of some sort.

It doesn't mention it, but I'm assuming recreational trailers are still exempt from necessitating a CDL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I own a business. To operate my business, I own a couple of pickups (one of which you can see to the left of this post) and a 16' cargo trailer. The trailer weighs approximately 5,000lbs loaded. It goes with me everywhere I go when I go to work. Up until now, my non-commercial license has allowed me to drive and tow my trucks and trailer legally. However, just now I stumbled upon this gem at the CT DMV website:

Effective January 9, 2006, the following are the new definitions of classifications, endorsements and restrictions that appear on Connecticut operator licenses:

Commercial:

Class A – Any motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle, including combination of vehicles.

Class B - Single vehicle over 26,000 lbs GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

Class C – Single vehicle 26,000 lbs or less GVWR w/veh in tow 10,000 lbs GVWR or less.

I'm thinking CT is now forcing me to get atleast a CDL class C license (pickup is under 26,000lbs and trailer is under 10,000lbs). Apparently, CT drivers can no longer tow ANY trailer, regardless of weight, without a CDL of some sort.

It doesn't mention it, but I'm assuming recreational trailers are still exempt from necessitating a CDL.

Even if you tow a camper or something(edit-if it were not exempt?) That's screwed up!

I don't know about CT, but I hear in IL it's really a PITA to get your CDL.  My dad(who got his CDL about 30 or so years ago) was talking to a co-worker that says that CDL tests change constantly(this co-worker had just gotten a CDL) and it's best to get a CDL and never switch back to a conventional DL and back to a CDL.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
CDL's are hard to get in IL because of the old Daley machine and the governor were handing them out like candy to select people.  Or at least that is what I heard....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
You're operating your vehicles without a commercial license now, is there some other change in Connecticut law that requires you to put commercial licenses on them?  If not, you are operating Class D vehicles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:48:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They were goin to pass a law here that said any 3/4 ton and UP SUVs or Trucks, the driver had to have some kinda CDL. That would put a hurting on all the soccer moms .
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They were goin to pass a law here that said any 3/4 ton and UP SUVs or Trucks, the driver had to have some kinda CDL. That would put a hurting on all the soccer moms .

And the guys who think they need a 3/4 or 1 ton for their yearly deer hunting trip.  Oooh...you're so rugged.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:55:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And the guys who think they need a 3/4 or 1 ton for their yearly deer hunting trip.  Oooh...you're so rugged.

I never said it was a good idea.

But believe me, if you seen the ratio of soccer moms to ppl that actually need a large truck or suv, youd be surprised. Way too many ppl driving vehicles way to big for them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#7]
die-tryin I was agreeing with you.  The "oooh..you're so rugged" wasnt aimed at you, it was for the guys, similar to soccer moms that think they need or want the biggest and baddest.

+1 on your second notion also.  I'm hoping the big bad SUV and truck fad goes away.  That way manufacturers will maybe start making trucks and SUV's like trucks and SUV's should be instead of luxury sedans on steriods.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:05:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You're operating your vehicles without a commercial license now, is there some other change in Connecticut law that requires you to put commercial licenses on them?  If not, you are operating Class D vehicles.

I'm not talking about license plates, I'm talking about driver's licenses. Up until now, the way the system worked was a regular driver's license allowed you to drive any vehicle up to 26,000lbs and you could tow any trailer (even commercial) up to 10,000lbs. Now, it appears that a regular driver's license (now called a "class D") won't allow you to tow ANY trailer (other than perhaps recreational- those trailers have always been exempted, but the new wording doesn't make any distinction).

My trailer has commercial plates on it and is used for business purposes.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
die-tryin I was agreeing with you.  The "oooh..you're so rugged" wasnt aimed at you, it was for the guys, similar to soccer moms that think they need or want the biggest and baddest.

+1 on your second notion also.  I'm hoping the big bad SUV and truck fad goes away.  That way manufacturers will maybe start making trucks and SUV's like trucks and SUV's should be instead of luxury sedans on steriods.

LoL..no prob. ABout the only trucks that I consider still trucks are the superduty and F350 types. All the midsized ones are okay. And there isnt a SUV out there that is worth much IMO.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Commercial:

This is the same as many other states. Since you are acting in a Commercial Trade or Business when towing your trailer... You should have a CDL. I have had one for almost 20 years. And what they are triing to accomplish is just safety. If there awasn't so many DUMBA^&es out there with junk trailers we would not need this. This will force to you to abide by and fix you tailers to keep them in good working condition. And you will need to inspect them everyday before you use them. You should see some of the BS people pull behind there trucks around here. Bobcats with a heavy 1/2 ton and no brakes.... Since I am a CDL holder and have seen far to many stupid accidents... I think you will appreciate this law. And I am not one that likes laws. We do have way to many of them to try to protect way to many people.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now, it appears that a regular driver's license (now called a "class D") won't allow you to tow ANY trailer (other than perhaps recreational- those trailers have always been exempted, but the new wording doesn't make any distinction).

So if you haul some mowers around behind a pick up because you have a landscape business you wold need a special license?

It appears to be just that.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:02:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking about license plates, I'm talking about driver's licenses. Up until now, the way the system worked was a regular driver's license allowed you to drive any vehicle up to 26,000lbs and you could tow any trailer (even commercial) up to 10,000lbs. Now, it appears that a regular driver's license (now called a "class D") won't allow you to tow ANY trailer (other than perhaps recreational- those trailers have always been exempted, but the new wording doesn't make any distinction).

Okay, I understand.  I hold a "chaueffer" license in Missouri but I haven't exercised it in several years, but I know that there were a few changes in the past 10 or so regarding the weight of some vehicles such as school buses that I am permitted to operate.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you are reading it wrong.

That would pertain to CDL's, those are the classes.
If you don't have a CDL it doesn't apply to you.
Or if you vehicle is not being used commercially. ie pop-up camper, snowmobile trailer and the like.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never said it was a good idea.

But believe me, if you seen the ratio of soccer moms to ppl that actually need a large truck or suv, youd be surprised. Way too many ppl driving vehicles way to big for them.

Actually, the law was already in place, just never applied. I remember the hubub when a guy got a ticket under the law and it was on all the news here locally. I believe the legislature then ammended the law to exclude the average joe.

They were thinking of all the snowbirds with fifth wheels it would have fubared.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I think you are reading it wrong.

That would pertain to CDL's, those are the classes.
If you don't have a CDL it doesn't apply to you.
Or if you vehicle is not being used commercially. ie pop-up camper, snowmobile trailer and the like.

I wish I was wrong, friend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
That's horrible.  Having a CDL sucks ass.  Your BAC level drops to something like .02%, regardless of whether you're driving a truck or your tree-huggermobile... "Oh, you're saying you used mouthwash this morning???  Put your hands on the hood, sir."  Also, all your tickets are tracked federally.

That's truely bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, generally I don't drink, so BAC shouldn't be a problem....

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It only applies to people with vehicles used for COMMERCIAL PURPOSES, not people who use them for personal use. Pretty much the same in most states, just varies on enforcement.

Example.

My neighbor has a landscape business. Uses a 3/4t Chevy 4X4 and a 24' open trailer for his mowers. Has a CDL class C. Truck is marked with his business name. Pretty much all he uses it for. Maybe GVWR of 11,000 max. By DOT law he needs a CDL C.

If I have a 1tn crew cab dually, no business marking and tow a 40' enclosed gooseneck trailer (race vehicles) not used for commerce, I dont need a CDL period. Even though its a larger setup. Until it hits 26,000 GVWR I dont need a CDL.

Some states require a CDL for pizza delivery. Hows that for screwed up? I think MO does that. unsure though if they still do.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#20]
A CDL is for commercial drivers. You ain't gettin paid to drive, you don't need one. Remember a CDL is more of a federal license than a state license.
I have a class A CDL because a few idiots decided years ago I had to have one. I no longer drive anything that would require me to have it but I still keep renewing it. Just in case of employment emergency. I have heard a having a CDL means you can always get a job.

ETA;
Many many moons ago Missouri did require (at least on paper) pizza delivery guys to have a "chauffers license" This was in the way back, pre-CDL days. I still know a few pizza delivery guy and he has never mentioned anything about having or needing a CDL. I think when they first came out there was talk about it but eventually it was decided they were not required.
Examples of drivers NOT needing CDLs.
1. Police
2. Pizza dude
3. Mail carriers

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
A CDL is for commercial drivers. You ain't gettin paid to drive, you don't need one. Remember a CDL is more of a federal license than a state license.
I have a class A CDL because a few idiots decided years ago I had to have one. I no longer drive anything that would require me to have it but I still keep renewing it. Just in case of employment emergency. I have heard a having a CDL means you can always get a job.

ETA;
Many many moons ago Missouri did require (at least on paper) pizza delivery guys to have a "chauffers license" This was in the way back, pre-CDL days. I still know a few pizza delivery guy and he has never mentioned anything about having or needing a CDL. I think when they first came out there was talk about it but eventually it was decided they were not required.
Examples of drivers NOT needing CDLs.
1. Police
2. Pizza dude
3. Mail carriers

My dad also drove school busses back in the day.  He had a chauffers license.  I bet most of the pizza dudes in my area are young folks like myself(teens and early 20's).

Hauling pizzas or lawnmovers for money is one thing.  Hazardous materials and cars are another.

Recreation enthausiasts should not have to get a CDL. Wobblin shouldn't have to get his.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
CDL specifics vary state by state, but there are certain Federal standards that need to be met so that a state issued CDL will meet the federal requirements for interstate commerce.

Class A CDL holder here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Commercial:

Well, I belive you only need a CDL if you get paid for your driving.  Not if your business requires you to have have a truck and or trailer, ie race car teams, horse breeders, ranchers(when hauler their own cattle to market), ect.

The way you are reading it would mean a Doctor making a house call would need a CDL.  I doubt that very much.

My .02

Don't sweat it

Travis
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

ETA;
Many many moons ago Missouri did require (at least on paper) pizza delivery guys to have a "chauffers license" This was in the way back, pre-CDL days.

Last I heard about that was when the Dominos I worked ats manager who came up to WI from MO in 92. So my guess was before that. Guy worked for Dominos for 15 yrs prior to coming up here to manage.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Welcome to Police State USA
where you need a license for everything and everything is a crime.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA;
Many many moons ago Missouri did require (at least on paper) pizza delivery guys to have a "chauffers license" This was in the way back, pre-CDL days.

Last I heard about that was when the Dominos I worked ats manager who came up to WI from MO in 92. So my guess was before that. Guy worked for Dominos for 15 yrs prior to coming up here to manage.

Yup, Domino's but a few years earlier. 1985 or 86 IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top