Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#1]
If it looked like the one in the 2nd reply they might have sold some!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
decided that was enough to warrant a price tag of double what the Manaro costs.

I just noticed this.  It's $60k Aus which equates to about $44k US.  The GTO sells for $30k, MSRP of $35k+/-.  How is $60k AUS half of $35k US again?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So changing out a trunk lid and a hood and you would have bought one?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
In_burrito.....

Just got back to this thread and in response to your quote of my post. I do know that the GTO was nothing more than a rebadged and little hotter LeMans. But it was just that a rebadged LeMans not something like that looks like a Grand Am.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the performance aspect of it. That car is/was damn fast and it was refreshing to see 1 of the big three go back to their roots, even if it was a half assed attempt in opinion. Would I still drive one or possibly even buy one if it was a good price? Hell yes I would, 350hp(at the rear wheels and not flywheel!!!!) in that size car would be tons of fun. Do I still think it looks like a Grand Am and is a disgrace to GTO's/LeMans of yesteryear? Yes very much so. No offense meant to your car. I'm a rabid Poncho addict and love Firebirds but I cannot stand them from 1974 to 1993.  

If they redesigned and went with more a GTO/LeMans look and marketed it a whole lot more it would have done much better in my opinon. I'm hoping everyone takes a cue from Ford and the new Mustangs. Afterall Ford learned their lesson on bringing back older cars and losing their ass with the T-Bird. Which was a beautiful car I might add but was just way to expensive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So changing out a trunk lid and a hood and you would have bought one?

No! I've always benn a Mopar Man & Im waiting for the 2008 Challenger
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Might go look at one this Tuesday
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In_burrito.....

Just got back to this thread and in response to your quote of my post. I do know that the GTO was nothing more than a rebadged and little hotter LeMans. But it was just that a rebadged LeMans not something like that looks like a Grand Am.

I still think that in it's day the LeMans was the Grand Am of today, a pokey car that grandmas bought to go to the grocery store.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the performance aspect of it. That car is/was damn fast and it was refreshing to see 1 of the big three go back to their roots, even if it was a half assed attempt in opinion. Would I still drive one or possibly even buy one if it was a good price? Hell yes I would, 350hp(at the rear wheels and not flywheel!!!!) in that size car would be tons of fun. Do I still think it looks like a Grand Am and is a disgrace to GTO's/LeMans of yesteryear? Yes very much so. No offense meant to your car. I'm a rabid Poncho addict and love Firebirds but I cannot stand them from 1974 to 1993.  

As I said before, I just don't care about the name.  They could call it the Grand Am coupe for all I care, if it's putting down that kind of HP with a nice comfortable interior that can easily seat 4 and is awesome for road trips AND turning in low 13 second 1/4 mile times at the track.

If they redesigned and went with more a GTO/LeMans look and marketed it a whole lot more it would have done much better in my opinon.

I honestly don't really think that was the point; to sell hundreds of thousands of them.  I think they wanted something to fill in the $30k performance gap while they worked on other options.  I didn't buy mine for the exclusivity of it, but I've kind of come to enjoy it.  I definitely think that it will be the Grand National of the future.

At the end of the day I can handle critism of the car's looks etc., but the rampant ignorance displayed in this thread about not only the current GTO but also the history of the original is pretty sad.  Doubly so when coming from people who are largely riding around int 1992 Dodge Caravans.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In_burrito.....

I still think that in it's day the LeMans was the Grand Am of today, a pokey car that grandmas bought to go to the grocery store.

As I said before, I just don't care about the name.  They could call it the Grand Am coupe for all I care, if it's putting down that kind of HP with a nice comfortable interior that can easily seat 4 and is awesome for road trips AND turning in low 13 second 1/4 mile times at the track.

If they redesigned and went with more a GTO/LeMans look and marketed it a whole lot more it would have done much better in my opinon.

I honestly don't really think that was the point; to sell hundreds of thousands of them.  I think they wanted something to fill in the $30k performance gap while they worked on other options.  I didn't buy mine for the exclusivity of it, but I've kind of come to enjoy it.  I definitely think that it will be the Grand National of the future.

At the end of the day I can handle critism of the car's looks etc., but the rampant ignorance displayed in this thread about not only the current GTO but also the history of the original is pretty sad.  Doubly so when coming from people who are largely riding around int 1992 Dodge Caravans.

I see your point. I agree about LeMans and see what you mean. No doubt that it was along with most of the other cars of the era. I think most people would be suprised about how bought were actually not performance models. I'll have to see if I can find the numbers but if I remember right most were just regular ole v8s or even I-6 models. No doubt many were modified by the owners since they were cheaper. My Firebird being one of em, was just a plain jane 2bbl 350(Pontiac) with 2.73 rear end and a th350. More of a granny car than a muscle car.....

As far as the rampant ignorance.....I didn't read any of the others.   For the record though I don't drive minivan
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Is the GTO the car that looks like every other piece of shit Pontiac car?
Wow... what were they thinking.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, no minivan here.

I do care about performance.  BUT.  If the car doesn't appeal to me, no amount of performance will make me buy one.

I also think 1/4 mile times are a stupid measure of performance.  Straight line speed is boring.  Give me something that handles great and a nice twisty road, and I'm happy.  I don't need to prove anything at stoplights, I just want a car that looks good and is fun in the twisties.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top