Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 8:00:04 PM EDT
I have a White Car and after it being in storage for 13 month there was a lot of dirt on it that didnt come off after washing and waxing it.

So i was wondering if anyone has used these before and what they thought about them.

How easy was it to do? How did it turn out when it was done?

As always thank you for your input
Cody
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I find that the clay bar is good for the very very fine scratches and embedded water stains.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
RTO,
Motor Trend magazine reviewed it and liked it.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Clay baring is easy.

You need lube and good clay look here for info...

www.premiumautocare.com/howtousedecl.html

Clay baring will remove any dirt left over from storage but, you may need to remove the coat of wax you just put on, you see you may have sealed the dirt in (under the wax but over the clear coat). To do this just mix some Dawn dish washing soap and water and wash away. Dawn will remove any dirt/wax then clay bar after which you will NEED to wax the car with good wax to seal it from the wheather and more dirt. Only wash your car with Dawn if you want to remove the wax otherwise use car wash soap so you don't have to wax it every time after you wash it.

OH, if you use that link and then press "home" there is also all kinds of good info in the "how to" buttom on the left...

Mike

P.S. The link is also a good place to buy really nice supplies...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for all the info i think im going to try it out

cody
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used them on motorcycles (smaller paint) and they work really well.  It would be a total pain on a car, huge area to cover.  use lots of lube.
I like www.griotsgarage.com    for top end car care stuff.
it does really smooth out the paint.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the clay bar. It will get off all the buildup washing and polishing wont. It's very easy to do. I did almost my entire truck in a couple of hours and the paint was smooth as glass afterwards. It had gotten tar particles on it from the parking lot at my job being repaved. I like to do it with the entire vehicle wet. Its much quicker.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]
It's very effective, but I don't have anywhere near the patience required for it.  

The other benefit to claybarring is that many of the small particles like brake dust are metalic and can scratch the paint when washing and waxing.

I prefer to pay someone to do it for me if need be, but it's definately a productive excercise.  With that said, I wouldn't bother unless there's something special about your vehicle.  If you're driving a regular truck or a '95 Nissan Maxima, what's the point?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Use quick wax for a lube, I worked at a car detail place and it worked just as good as any high end lube I've used. Clay-barring a car should not take long, 20-30 minutes TOPS for a small-sedan size car. Strip the wax off first, the buff, polish, and wax. When you do that method, never use a "cleaner" wax AKA a liquid wax. Those are designed to be used with no other products. Use a paste of some kind, Mothers would be good for a low cost wax paste.

White cars are some of the hardest, and still dont look as good as darker, richer colors.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I was spraying primer in my back yard and a cloud of it wafted over the fence and got all over my neighbor's Saturn. I cleaned it off with Clay Magic and it worked like a charm. The stuff is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah it works great on overspray and its amazing on what it picks up off off the paint
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top