Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 5:18:17 AM EDT
 Me and the wife want t o possibly  pick  up  a couple this  summer.  I really like the idea of a 6.1gallon gass t ank and of course the fact that  it is dual purpose, but I  do have some questions.

Does anyone else make a bike like this with this big of a fuel  tank?

What are the RPMs at 65MPH?  I  don't want to have  to keep it  at the redline just to go down the highway.

How is it offroad?  We would be ridinig trails  in the mountains mostly.

Anyone have the 2006 model?

Any big gripes about them?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The KLR hasn't been updated in a long time. Like since the late '80's, if I remember correctly. They're definitely not the most advanced thing out there, if that matters to you. Probably the most state of the art "ready made" dual purpose bike that is geared more to dirt than street these days would be the Husqvarna TE510C. Take a look at this link: www.husqvarnausa.com/2005/05_TE510C.html
(Edited to add that the regular 510 also comes in a dual purpose model... so you don't have to buy the expensive C model to get that). The stock fuel tank might not be as big as you want, but I'm sure an aftermarket company either has or will make a larger one for it. You can get larger tanks for most dirt bikes. Just do a google search and I'm sure you'll find them.

The only other decent choice for a dual purpose bike that I'm aware of is the Suzuki DRZ400s www.epinions.com/auto-review-295-2276A9F-3A2097F4-prod1
- or the older model DR350, if you don't mind buying used.

The only other way to get a really capable dirtbike that is street legal is to start with a dirt bike (something like a yamaha wr) and buy one of the kits that are available for it to make it street legal. That's definitely a pain in the butt... but you'll have a great dual purpose bike when you're done.

Here's a nice write up on the KLR, though. www.motorcycledaily.com/15december02kawasakiklr650.html
If you're not looking for anything special "performance" wise, it might be just fine. I think they're generally known as being "just average" off road. Depends on what you need in a bike, I guess.

Good luck getting something you'll like!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#2]
IM nationwide.....he posted a few times about having ridden his across the country at least once.  I'm betting he can answer damn near every question you have about them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Some good info on this thread ... www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=134&t=431865

Google DUAL SPORT NEWS for an online publication devoted to dual sporting, it used to be specific to the KLR650 so there is a lot of KLR info there.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
www.advrider.com read the thumper section, plenty of guys with their klr's.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
www.klr650.net/forum/

there's a different spocket with a different number of teeth for the back wheel that results in lower rpms needed for highway speeds without hurting casual off roading
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
One thing to think about is the seat height of most enduro bikes. I just bought a Honda XR400R which is also a street legal bike and my wife who is about 5-05 cannot properly hold it up. I'm 6-01 and unless I put weight on the suspension I can't touch the ground. Enduros are huge, but fun. Mine has a 440cc big bore kit on it and it's definitley a screamer. The 650s from what I understand dwarf even the 250s and 400s.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a good point about seat height. The only "modern" ones I can think of that have a relatively low seat height are the Yamaha XT225 and the Suzuki DR200. I might be forgetting one/some though. I think if seat height were a problem for me, I'd look for a restored 1970's or early 80's 2-stroke. Those have plenty of power and are pretty light compared to 4 strokes. Back then the seat height was reasonable instead of up in the stratosphere. Something like a Yamaha DT would be great. The ones made from about '78 through the early 80's had monoshocks and handled much better than the older ones. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Getting a vintage 2 stroke is a very good idea, modern dirt bikes/enduros of any size are huge. The only size my wife finds even remotely comfortable is an 80!!!! Granted she is borderline oompa loompa......

If you end up going vintage, which I almost did, check out www.collectorcarsandbikes.com. They usually have a pretty good stock of vintage 2 stroke enduros. Another thing to point out, I know most people don't like 2 strokes due to the pre mix gasoline. A lot of the older 2 stroke enduros were oil injected, which eliminates the pre mixing of the fuel.

Also older 2 strokes were not as "peppy" on the power band as newer ones. Most made power all on the low end like a 4 stroke, so you don't have to worry about a horrible neck snaping surge. Yamaha 360s were scary fast, my dad rode those for a long time and they will haul some ass. Bultacos, Honda Elsinores, Suzuki TS's and Kawasaki F-series are all great bikes. The Yamaha DT250 I see fairly frequently and price is usually hovering right around a grand.

ETA: If you need to ask anyone or just looking for information check out www.thumpertalk.com. Kinda like ARFCOM for 4 strokes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IM nationwide.....he posted a few times about having ridden his across the country at least once.  I'm betting he can answer damn near every question you have about them.

Precisely what I was going to say.  Nationwide got rid of his last year or in 2004 I think?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Kawasaki made a 250 with a low seat height for a couple of years, look for Kawasaki Sherpa.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Brother , I am going to tell you that unless your wife is a extra tall and strong girl stay away from a KLX650 for her.
Its a huge bike for trail riding and weights around 400plus pounds wet.
I'am 6'00"  , 195lbs and in damm good shape and its a handful for me off road.

Get her a Kaw KX 250 Super Sherpa.
Perfect bike for a woman , 250lbs wet , not to big and lots of power for both on / off road with out to much scary power.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
klr650.net

They make lowering links as well as raising links to adjust seat height. Seat height stock is 34 inches.They are pretty much bullet proof. There are a few known short comings however with a little time on the klr site these can easily be identified and corrected. Beemers do have a big tank, and are twice as much, everyone elses are much smaller. Mileage I get 43 to 53 MPG.

There is a real good aftermarket supply network to allow you to "custom" the bike to you.
I ride mine on the highway all the time.It isn't topped out on the highway, being only a 5 speed its up there compared to a multi cylindered 6 speed bike. Top speed about 100.

The bike has been around for 20 years with only modest changes, it has a cult following similar to the Concours(which I also owned) Everything is a tradeoff, it will handle every type of terrian, however will excel in none. The DR is more dirt orientated than the KLR the DRZ more street.

Nothing in its class can beat the "bang for the buck" if it appeals to you I say get one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top