Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 5:21:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT by captainpooby]
On tuesday night I picked a used Vinci/Crane plug and play tuner for my car for $250, a good deal.

Plug it in to the car and upload the stock tune then you can either load one of 7 tuning programs or custom tune the FA or spark advance in increments. You can also change shift points for an auto trans and the firmness of the shift, select fan on temps, change idle RPM, and eliminate the CAGS (cumputer aided gear shift). It's a simple YES-No, UP-DOWN selection process through the screens, very easy.

I plugged it in per instructions and went through the menus and dropped fan on temps to 190*, eliminated the CAGS, dropped idle 100 RPM. I then selected HiPerf tune #1 and left the FA and SA alone. The longest part of the process was the uploading and saving of the stock program, that took several minutes, the menu process took less than a minute.

The road test:

All I can say is wow, it was better the moment I turned the key. It started with a growl that wasnt there before and a different exhaust note at idle. I let her warm up and took it out on the road and it was significantly better all the way thru the rev range. It pulled harder and sounded better and in 6th at 60 the MPG ranged from 35-38 where before it was 34-35.

It breaks the tires loose much easier now, even with traction control on.

(side note: when you get on the gas it consumes more than before)

Now this isnt some highly modded car, it's a basically stock 2000 C5 corvette, just a K&N and opened airbox. I figure from seat of the pants dyno I got 10- 20 ft lbs RW torque just from this tune, closer to 20. Horespower? I dont know and dont care, I want torque and mid range HP, not peak numbers like most.

I have no idea how the other tuners like HP and Diablo work but I highly reccomend the Crane/Vinci unit!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:07:59 PM EDT
Glad to hear it worked out for you.

The LS1 is a great engine. I had an '02 SS for a while and the power delivery was inbelievable. Once you break 4k rpm the demons are loose!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:49:05 PM EDT
cool. How much did the device cost?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:37:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt_saa:
cool. How much did the device cost?

I bought it used for $250 but they retail for 439.
Top Top