Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:44:52 AM EDT
I was standing behind this...

...listening to it run and decided that it would sound pretty damn good with a louder muffler. Does anyone have any experience with the 4.7 liter "almost a Hemi" and Flowmaster, Dynomax, or Flowtech mufflers? The stock pipes are 2.5" mandrel bent and in perfect condition (possibly stainless, but I haven't stuck a magnet to 'em) so there's no point in going with a cat-back. The muffler is bloody gigantic, though, around 24" long, so to make it a bolt in arrangement will take extension pipes. I have a Hooker cat-back on my Z28 that sounds great, and even better with a glass pack swapped in (flanged muffler, makes it easy to switch), but I know next to nothing about Dodge mods so far.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:06:05 PM EDT
Straight pipe it. Youre in Texas, my boy...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:28:09 PM EDT
Body kit, fart can, stickers and a wing should take care of it.
Don't forget to put a big sub woofer in the back and LCD monitors in the headrests.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:41:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
Body kit, fart can, stickers and a wing should take care of it.
Don't forget to put a big sub woofer in the back and LCD monitors in the headrests.

And an airbag suspension. No reason to have all that bling if you cant drop it like its hot!

<­BR>
Someone please shoot me...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:00:19 AM EDT
Straight pipe... I think I'll pass. The glasspack on the Z28 is about all the neighbors are willing to put up with

As for the rest of the comments... well, I have a nice hangin' branch on the big pine tree out front

It's going up, not down. See that dark lump between the front wheels? That ain't an oil pan Actually I don't know what that is, but it's in the same general area as the front differential. Anyway, there will be no lowering of my truck. Wouldn't want to drag the transfer case on the ground
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:00:38 PM EDT
flowmaster and headers. my old lady has a 4.7 in a '02 dakota.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:10:29 PM EDT
Magnet's not a perfect test for stainless. 300 series won't stick, but all the 400 series types will stick to a magnet.

I just rub it clean and smell it. You can smell the chrome in stainless -- Try it with your kitchen flatware.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:10:39 PM EDT
Who makes headers for the 4.7? I looked around a bit and didn't see any.

I can tell stainless by looking at it, but you're right. About half the stainless exhaust stuff I have around here is non-magnetic. The pipes have the usual gold, heated stainless look to 'em. Fortunately stainless isn't really required here. No salt on the roads. The mild steel tubing on the Hooker cat-back I put on my Camaro is still in perfect shape 5 years later.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:22 PM EDT
Just use open headers, they'll now your coming !!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:14:36 AM EDT
Get a BORLA muffler. I have one on my Jeep cherokee 4.0l and it sounds awesome.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:55:48 PM EDT
I've never been a big fan of Borla. On quite a few engines they sound great (LT1s, assuming you have the small or medium plate in, LS1s, most other 350s, etc) but I've had everything from fun to a weekend in the firey pits of hell installing them. A simple muffler swap shouldn't be too tough even if the muffler isn't anywhere close to design dimensions, though. The stock muffler and it's inlet and outlet pipes is somewhere around 30" long and I plan on welding extensions onto the new muffler so it'll clamp in with no mods. Assuming I can get the stock muffler out without explosives, that is. If the clamps have crimped the pipes like they did on my Z28 it'll require a tubing cutter, and if that happens I'll just weld the thing in and be done with it. I just hate welding over my head.
Top Top