Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:20:08 PM EDT
Looks like there might be a leak from where the air filter housing meets what I think is the throttle body ('88 TBI 5.7L Chevy Silverado). I'm decent at fixing things and what I don't already know I can usually figure out with a bit of tinkering. However, I'm not good at diagnosing the problems, so help me out if you can. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 9:59:48 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
look for a cracked hose leading to the injectors on the throttle body, or leaking injector O-rings
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:05:28 PM EDT
Make sure your insurance premium is paid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:21:58 AM EDT
not familiar with that engine, but yeah fuel lines, injectors, maybe the charcoal cannister or a line coming to/from the charcoal cannister
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:55:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
look for a cracked hose leading to the injectors on the throttle body, or leaking injector O-rings

+1 I just got done replacing the fuel line that feeds my fuel rail. It was duching the engine bay in gas, and I did not notice the smell until it was really shooting out. Make sure you get to the bottom of that before a fire makes you post a thread about a new vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:21:23 PM EDT
+1 on checking the injector o-rings. My son's 89 Jeep Cherokee was smelling of gas especially when cold and that's what it was. They are pretty easy to change yourself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:17:50 PM EDT
Check the fuel pressure regulator if it's in the engine bay. Should be easy to fix.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
Turns out over the years the air cleaner housing had rubbed up against the throttle body and filed it down enough to create a gasoline leak. When I got a really good look at I realized the leak was a lot worse than I had originally thought and was most definitely a fire hazard. I was lucky I didn't catch fire. So new throttle body on and I'm good to go. It was an expensive repair, but it's cheaper than a car payment. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd give a followup. Thanks for the replies though.
Top Top