Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
I've owned a number of imports - one Audi, three Volvos (the wagons haul, and the Volvo is a stealthy car...), a BMW bike, and a 1970's K5 Blazer.  

My current ride, which was intended to be temporary, is at 189,850 miles. It's a 1987 model Volvo 740 GLE.  It was intended to be a safe car for my wife;  the transmission's whining, it failed smog, and it's just getting old.  Served its purpose. I'm bored with it.

Considering the purchase of a little hatchback BMW - 318ti, 4 cyl, stick.  I've driven a BMW 528i quite a bit (older) and liked the road feel, slightly superior to Audi.  I've collected a bunch of internet enthusiast sites, purchase FAQ, tips, tricks, etc.  I know the owner; it's garage-kept, he's finicky, has all maintenance records, and I enquired about his car when he mentioned over dinner that he was ordering a new car (I think a 330 series BMW).  Price is right.  This is not the fastest little car, but for its intended use (commute/weekend travel/range/grocery store/gun show/going out with wife) in the heavily urbanized area in which I live, it fits the bill - plus the back seats fold down for more space.

Anyone own or owned a 3-series BMW?

Pimp my ride ;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a friend that owned a 2000 318ci and a 1997 M3

I was allowed to drive both extensively and both were a pleasure to drive. I will note that the M3 was not even remotely in the same league with the 318ci, however. Ultimately, my friend traded the 318ci in on a newer Jetta and he preferred the Jetta, ultimately. I don't know his specific reasons. Sorry, I know that's not terribly helpful

I do know that maintenance costs on both the bimmers was more than I would have been willing to pay. Best of luck!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Having owned two Volvo sedans and a wagon, I think I have done my time and would enjoy owning sporty cars/bikes again - two doors.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top