Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 12:47:40 PM EDT
1977 454 bored .030 over w/396 heads 8.8:1 compression with about 7k on the clock. Aluminum radiator replaces the original. The front floorpan has been replaced but the rear and trunk have not. Suspension is supposedly new all the way around. Custom Ford 9" rear end is supposed guaranteed to about 750bhp. 4 speed rock crusher has been substituted for original auto tranny. Owner believes the engine is good for about 425 at the crank but never had it dynoed.

I am thinking about making an offer on this car as a project car. Can anyone offer some thoughts...yea or nay?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Illinois... Hmm...  That body bothers me.  I don't know what is under that crappy paint, but I think there is rust and bondo under there.  Did you give it a magnet test?

Other than that, it looks ok.  It definately needs some parts.  Interior parts.  Probably some mechanical stuff after a few miles.  I would look at the suspenson bushings.  

But like you said, it is a project.  Have fun.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a lot of the value in the car is within the powertrain.  Nothing wrong with that as long as it is the way you want to go.

I had a 72 Chevelle.  Paid $2500 for it about 10 years ago from a little old lady.  The car was pretty much all original 350/auto car.  I had dreams of building up a 427BB (origin of my username) but decided to concentrate on the body and interior first.  When I first got it, it was nearly rust free.  Just one little spot on the lower fender.   But after a few WV winters I started getting rot around the rear wheel well.  It was not a bunch, but because the inner wheel wheels lip was rusted too I had to replace both full quarters and outer wheel wheel halfs.  Even starting with a pretty solid body, paint and body work set me back right around $5000 (that includes a cowl hood).

I ended up keep it for another 3 years or so after the paint was done but I never drove it.  One day I started to calculate roughly how much it was going to cost for my powertrain and suspension mods that I wanted.  I figured I could easily drop another $15K.  I decided it was not worth putting that much more into and decided to sell it.  IIRC I got about $7800.   I thought it was worth $10K because of the shape of the paint and interior but I was wrong.  When dealing with this stuff, I found out it is gold when your looking for it, but garbage when you go to sell it.

I guess I recommend adding up what you want to do with the car first.  Sure $200 here and there is not much but it adds up in a hurry.  Especially the detail pieces.  My lord it can get expensive.  

My 72 Chevelle SS Clone
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Illinois... Hmm... That body bothers me. I don't know what is under that crappy paint, but I think there is rust and bondo under there. Did you give it a magnet test?

Other than that, it looks ok. It definately needs some parts. Interior parts. Probably some mechanical stuff after a few miles. I would look at the suspenson bushings.

There is no doubt that there is putty in probably most of the body. The only panel that is new is the RF quarter. HE rold me the LF needs to be replaced as well. Probably more than that...in fact the driver's door was the worst looking part.

I had a 72 Chevelle. Paid $2500 for it about 10 years ago from a little old lady. The car was pretty much all original 350/auto car. I had dreams of building up a 427BB (origin of my username) but decided to concentrate on the body and interior first. When I first got it, it was nearly rust free. Just one little spot on the lower fender. But after a few WV winters I started getting rot around the rear wheel well. It was not a bunch, but because the inner wheel wheels lip was rusted too I had to replace both full quarters and outer wheel wheel halfs. Even starting with a pretty solid body, paint and body work set me back right around $5000 (that includes a cowl hood).

There is definitely substantial rust lurking as you can tell from my pics. I am told that almost nothing remains of the original car. If I get this car, it will be with the idea that it is a weekend toy and not a restoration.

I ended up keep it for another 3 years or so after the paint was done but I never drove it. One day I started to calculate roughly how much it was going to cost for my powertrain and suspension mods that I wanted. I figured I could easily drop another $15K. I decided it was not worth putting that much more into and decided to sell it. IIRC I got about $7800. I thought it was worth $10K because of the shape of the paint and interior but I was wrong. When dealing with this stuff, I found out it is gold when your looking for it, but garbage when you go to sell it.

I guess I recommend adding up what you want to do with the car first. Sure $200 here and there is not much but it adds up in a hurry. Especially the detail pieces. My lord it can get expensive.

Yikes, maybe I had better rethink this. I appreciate the input.

P.S. Sorry you got rid of your SS. It looks purty in that picture.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally id pass on that car. (unless you get it for 1K or less). If you are serious about finding a good car, you may have to travel outside the area. etc.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I would seriously question if it is a real SS.  The instrument cluster does not look correct.

I have seen too many Chevelles turned into SS models.  Make sure you are not buying someones conversion.  The value is not the same.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would seriously question if it is a real SS.  The instrument cluster does not look correct.

I have seen too many Chevelles turned into SS models.  Make sure you are not buying someones conversion.  The value is not the same.

It should have round guages for the SS, not the sweeping speedo.  Also, it has the SS trim pieces in the grille.  My Malibu had those, I took them off and repainted so that it would be like the SS grill.

Your right, the value is not the same but unless your going to build a show car it does not matter much. Not to mention it already has a different motor.  IMO to hols a SS cars value you need to keep it all stock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Personally id pass on that car. (unless you get it for 1K or less). If you are serious about finding a good car, you may have to travel outside the area. etc.

Around my way, the engine and tranny would be worth more than $1K themselves.  M22's are not cheap nor is anything for big blocks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Pass on that car man.  Way too many cover up jobs to make you wonder just how bad it might be under there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:19:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top