Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 7:30:21 PM EDT

I recently bought a new truck and it has a dealer POS stereo in it. I have been shopping around for one and am looking at spending about 1k. During my shopping I realized lots has changed sinch high school and there are alot of new brands and I don't know shit about most of them. So if some folks could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it.

I want a CD player, mp3, wma and satelite ready, 4- 5x7 speakers for doors and I have 1 8inch sub which is all I want. Im looking at Kenwood for the deck , I beleive they have always been pretty decent.

I have been looking at Memphis brand speakers and amp but never heard of them but it looks and sounds good but are they any good?

I'm not looking to break the windows out of the truck just some good crisp clean music.

Any direction from the stereo folks would be great, thanks

Art
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:58:36 PM EDT
A lot of the newer radio's have a sub output so you don't really need cross overs any more, Kenwood makes some nice stuff, but I'm partial to Alpine. Most have pretty decent internat amps now that will run the 5x7's just fine. All you should need is one amp for the sub "best amp i ever owned was an old thor 1ohm stable and im still using it 9years later. good amps today are still the old trusted names" pioneer,kenwood,alpine,rockford-fosgate". memphis audio makes some very good component speakers i think you'll be happy with them. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:43:28 PM EDT
Thanks for the feedback Mutton.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:11:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/23/2006 7:11:42 AM EDT by extxdpscamaro]
+1 on the Alpine. I was always a Clarion fan, then I went to Eclipse. Eclipse was by far the cleanest sound but then I wanted Sirius Satelite. I found my favorite stereo and with a great price. It's a Alpine with Boston Acoustic(superior clarity) 6X8's on my rear deck and 6" in my doors. Also have a 10" Sub in the back powered by a 1000W Eclipse Amp.I have it all in my 1999 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It all makes my 60 minute commute GREAT!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:02:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:11:30 AM EDT
Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion, and Nakamichi are pretty nice. Just stay away from pioneer, I have had notihing but trouble from pioneer units.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:01:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 9:03:40 AM EDT by shortmag]

Originally Posted By Disco_Stu_TX:
Just stay away from pioneer, I have had notihing but trouble from pioneer units.

+1
Pioneer sucks!

I run a Panasonic cd/mp3 player. I love it. the only other cd player i'd buy would be an Eclipse. I've got two rockford fosgate 12" HE2 subs in one of a kind boxes i built myself. (based on a folded horn design) Everything else (except the DVD player) is Poweracoutik. www.poweracoustik.com
I've got the XP2K 6"x9" 4-way (320Watts) in my doors with NB-1(100Watt) component tweets in the roof. then ther's XP2K 5 1/4" 2-way (140Watts) behind the seats with NB-1(100Watt) component tweets in the roof. there's a LT-1440 Watt amp under the center console running the subs, and i have a 2.4 Farad cap providing at least 14 Volts to the amp at all times. the door speakers are ran from my CD player. and would you believe i have all this in a regular (non-extended) cab dodge ram?

I am VERY happy with the sound i get with this setup. I Love the quality from the popweracoustik door speakers and tweets. look into the Panasonic CD Players and the Poweracoustik fullrange speakers I recomend them highly.

Of cours there are plenty of other good brands out there as the others have mentioned. but after many car aukio setups this is the combination i am finally happy with. Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

SM
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:22:58 AM EDT
and i noticed your screen name 69CougarXR-7. do you have one?

i'm in the process of restoring rebuilding the motor from my '71 cougar XR-7.

i'm lookin for a '67-'68 body and frame to put it back into tho.
Top Top